Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tazwhoever
    • By tazwhoever 17th Mar 17, 6:36 PM
    • 746Posts
    • 191Thanks
    tazwhoever
    Internet for homework
    • 17th Mar 17, 6:36 PM
    Internet for homework 17th Mar 17 at 6:36 PM
    As internet prices are quite high, it is necessary for parents to have internet at home for child’s homework, otherwise the homework is not done. Why don’t the companies lower their prices or the government to make sure the prices are kept lower?

Thanks
Page 1
    • craigr98
    • By craigr98 18th Mar 17, 8:08 AM
    • 154 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    craigr98
    • 18th Mar 17, 8:08 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 8:08 AM
    Who are you currently with for your broadband? Do you have fibre?
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 18th Mar 17, 9:28 AM
    • 736 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 18th Mar 17, 9:28 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 9:28 AM
    Two schools of thought here:

1) If you're paying more than £25 a month now then you're paying too much. A lot of reducing the cost of internet is to jump provider every year/18 months via the new customer deals rather than sticking with who you're with now out of convenience.

2) The internet will never usually come in the home "just" for kids homework. It would be possible if internet access is needed for "just" homework to go to the nearest public library or the school library/internet. However if it comes into the home ultimately it will be used for far more than just the kids homework, especially when you realise the benefits of it, such as on-line banking, on-line shopping, email, etc.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 18th Mar 17, 9:32 AM
    • 9,617 Posts
    • 3,933 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 18th Mar 17, 9:32 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 9:32 AM
    I want discounted internet as well and like the OP expect the govmint to subsidised me .
    • craigr98
    • By craigr98 18th Mar 17, 9:55 AM
    • 154 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    craigr98
    • 18th Mar 17, 9:55 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 9:55 AM
    Have you written to your local MP?
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 18th Mar 17, 10:13 AM
    • 1,070 Posts
    • 480 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:13 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:13 AM
    Or Watchdog?
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 18th Mar 17, 10:52 AM
    • 1,680 Posts
    • 2,118 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:52 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:52 AM
    Lots of places where school kids can get free internet access on their smartphone. There is even free access in libraries and possibly my other communal sites.
    • tazwhoever
    • By tazwhoever 18th Mar 17, 11:00 AM
    • 746 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    tazwhoever
    • 18th Mar 17, 11:00 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 11:00 AM
    I can't be sitting with my child (11) in the library until 8pm for homework on many days in the week!
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 18th Mar 17, 11:14 AM
    • 5,139 Posts
    • 4,791 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 18th Mar 17, 11:14 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 11:14 AM
    I can't be sitting with my child (11) in the library until 8pm for homework on many days in the week!
    Originally posted by tazwhoever
    You should discuss this with the school.

The school's homework policy should allow for children with no internet access at home.

The policy is often that the child will be allowed to stay at school at the end of the day, to use the school's internet facilities - which the child may or may not be keen to do.
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 18th Mar 17, 2:41 PM
    • 2,846 Posts
    • 1,936 Thanks
    lee111s
    Internet to be cheaper?

Openreach rental is already rock bottom, and people whinge that they're currently not investing enough. Money can't be grabbed out of thin air.

Regular ADSL broadband can be had for £5-7 on top of line rental.
    • makemesumdosh
    • By makemesumdosh 18th Mar 17, 3:44 PM
    • 303 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    makemesumdosh
    Who are you with at the moment. lots of deals out there. look at signing up through a cashback site such as topcashback or quidco.
    low priced or free broadband is out there.
    get some of the best deals written down then ring up your current suppliers cancellations team and tell tnem your thinking of leaving. a new deal could well evolve from this call
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 18th Mar 17, 5:03 PM
    • 695 Posts
    • 680 Thanks
    badmemory
    Maybe what is needed is a complete rethink. Perhaps something along the lines of the household of a child that needs the internet for homework & has never had it before gets it free for a year, after the year they either carry on & pay for it, change supplier & pay for it or get disconnected & the child goes to the local library after school. That is always supposing that library is still open, as around here over 50% are closing after the final "consultation" in July.

I think it unlikely that a household that doesn't have internet would have a child living there with a smartphone. They also will not be able to google for the cheapest internet and wouldn't have a current supplier either. What they need is help, including help to ensure that those schoolchildren are NOT going on inappropriate sites. Otherwise we are looking at a situation where the kids are in control & that leads to bad things happening.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 18th Mar 17, 5:21 PM
    • 8,244 Posts
    • 4,899 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Internet to be cheaper?

Openreach rental is already rock bottom, and people whinge that they're currently not investing enough. Money can't be grabbed out of thin air.

Regular ADSL broadband can be had for £5-7 on top of line rental.
    Originally posted by lee111s

Some is even free, especially if you haggle.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 18th Mar 17, 5:29 PM
    • 8,244 Posts
    • 4,899 Thanks
    teddysmum

How many hours of internet work are required ? Many days implies at least 3 so that's 12 hours per week and I can't believe that someone has internet for a child's school work and for no other reason.

I went to a grammar school with high expectations on time spent on homework (admittedly in pre-internet times),but we only had 15 hours of homework, in total, even during public exam years

How much homework does a child of just 11 years get ?
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 18th Mar 17, 6:29 PM
    • 7,536 Posts
    • 5,330 Thanks
    esuhl
    As internet prices are quite high, it is necessary for parents to have internet at home for child’s homework, otherwise the homework is not done.
    The requirement for parents to have internet access is not because internet prices are quite high.
    • tazwhoever
    • By tazwhoever 18th Mar 17, 7:30 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    tazwhoever
    The requirement for parents to have internet access is not because internet prices are quite high.
    Originally posted by esuhl
    Sorry, worded it wrong
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,590Posts Today

8,213Users online

Martin's Twitter