Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tazwhoever
    • By tazwhoever 17th Mar 17, 6:26 PM
    • 746Posts
    • 191Thanks
    tazwhoever
    Weight loss
    • 17th Mar 17, 6:26 PM
    Weight loss 17th Mar 17 at 6:26 PM
    This may be a stupid question.

Are there any tablets from doctors or health shops that are available to lose waist and belly fat? Can’t seem to lose weight through walking or jogging.

Any advice please.

Thanks
Page 1
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 17th Mar 17, 7:46 PM
    • 12,744 Posts
    • 16,929 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 17th Mar 17, 7:46 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 7:46 PM
    No.

Try eating less.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 18th Mar 17, 11:14 AM
    • 3,164 Posts
    • 5,465 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 18th Mar 17, 11:14 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 11:14 AM
    There are things available but they are not a miracle cure, can have lots of side effects and are not very pleasant to use.

A friend tried them a few years ago and stopped taking them after a week because they work by binding fat you eat so it passes through your system however it left her needing to wear sanitary towels every day as the oily residue was leaking out of her and it gave her diarrhoea, she stopped taking them the day she had an "accident" in work. She said if she was at home all day she may have struggled on for longer but they were no good for when she went out anywhere.
    • NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 18th Mar 17, 11:55 AM
    • 2,701 Posts
    • 1,008 Thanks
    NigeWick
    • 18th Mar 17, 11:55 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 11:55 AM
    Any advice please.
    Originally posted by tazwhoever
    Exercise makes one hungry and we eat more.

Two ways to lose weight apart from counting calories. First is low carb/high fat and the other is the exact opposite.

I lost over 60lbs using low carb/high fat a few years back. I cut out cakes, buns, sweets, bread and a lot of pasta, potatoes, rice and fruit. Eat fresh foods freshly cooked. My treats are 25gms of Aldi's 70% cocoa solid chocolate every day and a couple of glasses of wine with weekend dinners. I also do not worry about the occasional blowout. You will find that you tend to eat less after a couple of weeks as the body starts burning fat instead of carbs/sugar for energy. You will also realise that you don't get so hungry and can go longer without eating. There are calorie counting sites on the interweb.

Exercise:- I do 3 x 30 seconds flat out on a rowing machine four days a week taking a total of 12 minutes with getting breath back between bouts, and, "The Big Five" strength exercises from the book Body by Science. The rowing is for cardio and obviously the strength training is to build muscle as muscle takes more calories to keep up than fat. Because the time spent putting real effort in is so short at 30 minutes(ish) a week it doesn't affect hunger. If you've no kit at all, then there is always sprinting instead of the rowing I do and bodyweight exercises for muscle development. Being retired I can also afford time to walk the mile each way to the shops five days a week giving me two and a half hours of gentle exercise.

Books I recommend:- Perfect Health Diet - Paul & Shou-Ching Jaminet, The Paleo Solution - Robb Wolf, The New Primal Blueprint - Mark Sisson and Death by Food Pyramid - Denise Minger. Body by Science is written by Dr Doug McGuff.

I hope my experience helps.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
    • analyticalglory
    • By analyticalglory 18th Mar 17, 12:29 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    analyticalglory
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:29 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:29 PM
    Eat less while you're exercising. You lose weight for sure. Good luck!
    Last edited by analyticalglory; 18-03-2017 at 12:31 PM.
    • andygb
    • By andygb 18th Mar 17, 1:09 PM
    • 11,671 Posts
    • 25,099 Thanks
    andygb
    • 18th Mar 17, 1:09 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 1:09 PM
    No.

Try eating less.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    It really is not as easy as that, because everyone is different. I have worked with several people in the past, who take no exercise, eat and drink to excess, but are as slim as rakes.
    Even when I was competing at various sports at a high level, I never had a six pack, and very often had some belly fat. It never stopped me running marathons or cycling 100 miles in one go.
    • fireblade28
    • By fireblade28 18th Mar 17, 2:07 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    fireblade28
    • 18th Mar 17, 2:07 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 2:07 PM
    Thing is most people vastly underestimate their calorie intake. Exercise also doesn't help much in terms of losing fat.

Think about it. Say you need roughly 2000 calories a day and to lose 1lb of fat it is approx a defecit of 3000-4000 calories a week to lose 1lb (There's been many arguments about the exact value but it's a decent estimate). So you start by eating 500 less calories a day. In 7 days your defecit is 3500 and you have lost weight. Let's say you overeat by 200 calories a day so you are having 1700 instead. Now your defecit is only 2500 a week which is only about 2/3rds a pound of fat. So you don't notice a difference and then binge eat an extra 1000 calories at the weekend. Game over.

On the exercise thing you might be able to burn 200 calories in an hour,maybe 300 if you are average. You do this 3 times a week and your defecit is only 900. You won't really notice you are losing weight and if you overeat by only 600-900 calories you have lost your defecit and won't lose weight.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 18th Mar 17, 2:22 PM
    • 12,744 Posts
    • 16,929 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 18th Mar 17, 2:22 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 2:22 PM
    It really is not as easy as that, because everyone is different. I have worked with several people in the past, who take no exercise, eat and drink to excess, but are as slim as rakes.
    Even when I was competing at various sports at a high level, I never had a six pack, and very often had some belly fat. It never stopped me running marathons or cycling 100 miles in one go.
    Originally posted by andygb
    The OP asked if there were any pills available that would remove waist and belly fat. As far as I am aware there isn't. Hence my reply "No".

The OP has tried exercise and that hasn't had the desired effect so I suggested they try eating less. I didn't say it was guaranteed to work.

For many (most?) people though, it does.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 18th Mar 17, 5:06 PM
    • 2,838 Posts
    • 1,484 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 18th Mar 17, 5:06 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 5:06 PM

Can’t seem to lose weight through walking or jogging.
    Same here, 3 months walking everyday combined with occasional at home exercise DVD has only seem me lose a stone so far, but I have felt my body shape change.
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • UKTigerlily
    • By UKTigerlily 18th Mar 17, 5:07 PM
    • 4,303 Posts
    • 5,355 Thanks
    UKTigerlily
    Scrap cardio, lift weights ... way better for loss
    2015 weight loss: 86/100Ibs
    • UKTigerlily
    • By UKTigerlily 18th Mar 17, 5:26 PM
    • 4,303 Posts
    • 5,355 Thanks
    UKTigerlily
    Originally posted by UKTigerlily

Oh & with heavy weight lifting, you continue to burn calories after the session, unlike cardio which stops when you do x
    2015 weight loss: 86/100Ibs
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 18th Mar 17, 7:07 PM
    • 1,396 Posts
    • 1,209 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    Cut out junk and processed food.

Eat lean meats, veg, some fruit and nuts, rice and potatoes fine in moderation.

It really is pretty simple.

Plus HIIT training would help.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 18th Mar 17, 7:07 PM
    • 1,396 Posts
    • 1,209 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    Originally posted by UKTigerlily
    Seady state cardio isnt great. But interval training is.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 18th Mar 17, 7:12 PM
    • 2,212 Posts
    • 3,098 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    There is no easy fix.

Stop wasting time looking for one. You know what you need to do, really, don't you?
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 18th Mar 17, 9:51 PM
    • 1,183 Posts
    • 1,210 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    Losing weight should be simple in theory, but of course its not in practice, because if you are fat you probably have issues with self control or eat to cheer yourself up or don't know what food are healthy / unhealthy.
    Having tried several 'diets' I am now following the NHS weight loss plan. Basically eat what foods you want but ensure your calorie intake is no more than 1400 a day. Losing weight on a diet is pointless if you go back to your old bad ways afterwards. Small sustainable changes are better. If you have tried to lose weight ( really tried and not cheated) and it didn't work then visit your gp to check you don't have metabolic syndrome or a thyroid issue etc.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 19th Mar 17, 8:07 AM
    • 17,671 Posts
    • 44,983 Thanks
    Pollycat

Are there any tablets from doctors or health shops that are available to lose waist and belly fat? Can’t seem to lose weight through walking or jogging.

Any advice please.

Thanks
    Have you tried exercises that specifically target those areas?
    • chucknorris
    • By chucknorris 19th Mar 17, 10:36 AM
    • 9,099 Posts
    • 13,742 Thanks
    chucknorris
    Exercise also doesn't help much in terms of losing fat.

On the exercise thing you might be able to burn 200 calories in an hour,maybe 300 if you are average. You do this 3 times a week and your defecit is only 900. You won't really notice you are losing weight and if you overeat by only 600-900 calories you have lost your defecit and won't lose weight.
    Originally posted by fireblade28
    I burn much more than 300 calories an hour, up to 750/hr (running, only do for 20 mins these days), up to 700/hr (sprint cycling, only do for 30 mins, but mostly straight after running) and 350/hr hiking (very fast with backpack and on hilly routes, 90 mins to 2 hours). I used to run much longer distances (1 to 2 hours, but I introduced cycling to be kinder on my joints, I now mix cycling and running in the same session (as well as individually).

I agree about the over eating (and drinking) though, the best way for me to maintain fitness is to watch my calorie intake and exercise.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird
    The only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistake
    Chuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".
    After running injuries I now also hike, cycle and swim, less impact on my joints.

For the avoidance of doubt Chuck Norris is an actor and an ex martial artist (not me)
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 19th Mar 17, 10:46 AM
    • 1,396 Posts
    • 1,209 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    Have you tried exercises that specifically target those areas?
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    You cannot spot reduce fat.

Whilst specific core and abdominal work will increase strength and stability in those areas it will do nothing about the layers of fat covering.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 19th Mar 17, 10:49 AM
    • 1,396 Posts
    • 1,209 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    Losing weight on a diet is pointless if you go back to your old bad ways afterwards. .
    Originally posted by Fireflyaway
    Nail on the head.

And as many diets are not sustainable eventually thats what happens.

Cut out junk and keep Kcals below maintenance, very simple in theory, its just you need the drive to actually do it.
    • andygb
    • By andygb 19th Mar 17, 11:02 AM
    • 11,671 Posts
    • 25,099 Thanks
    andygb
    I burn much more than 300 calories an hour, up to 750/hr (running, only do for 20 mins these days), up to 700/hr (sprint cycling, only do for 30 mins, but mostly straight after running) and 350/hr hiking (very fast with backpack and on hilly routes, 90 mins to 2 hours). I used to run much longer distances (1 to 2 hours, but I introduced cycling to be kinder on my joints, I now mix cycling and running in the same session (as well as individually).

I agree about the over eating (and drinking) though, the best way for me to maintain fitness is to watch my calorie intake and exercise.
    Originally posted by chucknorris
    I can pretty much agree with your calorie burning, and would think that we are exercising at around the same level, which would IMO be too difficult for most people to achieve.
    I tend to use the cross trainer or bike for my cardio work (five times a week 35 minute sessions). Rather than use the calorie counter on the gym equipment (which does not take into account weight), I use the number of Metpoints per minute, which for 20 minutes on the bike was 9.2, which when taking into account my weight, means that I burned 309 calories in 20 minutes and then another 131 calories during my 15 minute cooldown. The twenty minutes was mostly at level 11 (95RPM), with a block of five x one minute intervals.
    In addition to this I also use resistance machines and free weights, two or three of these after the cardio work.
    I am steadily losing weight, but considering what I eat, it is not exactly dropping off.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,095Posts Today

7,049Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: How many languages do you speak (inc Eng) with reasonable fluency (eg can have decent phone chat solely in that lang)

• RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• Follow Martin