Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stylus360
    • By stylus360 17th Mar 17, 5:36 PM
    • 368Posts
    • 23Thanks
    stylus360
    HELP - Who is the cheapest courier - from China to UK ?
    • 17th Mar 17, 5:36 PM
    HELP - Who is the cheapest courier - from China to UK ? 17th Mar 17 at 5:36 PM
    Hi

I am purchasing an item from China and the cost is 1356 USD

It gives me an option of which courier i want (no price comes up)

Fedex, UPS, amd DHL

Who should i select to avoid massive import duty ??

Cheers
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 17th Mar 17, 7:06 PM
    • 17,656 Posts
    • 13,361 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 17th Mar 17, 7:06 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 7:06 PM
    Nobody should be advising you how to evade tax. If you don't want to pay the import duty, don't buy the item.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 18th Mar 17, 2:02 AM
    • 25,094 Posts
    • 9,959 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 18th Mar 17, 2:02 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 2:02 AM
    Use Fedex, they messed my delivery up so badly they wrote off my invoices.

2 packages in the delivery. 1st delivery one empty box (sneakily concealed by the driver) and he vanished quickly without asking for a signature. Other item was in Memphis (visiting graceland)?
    2nd delivery the item must have had gone to some rough parties in Memphis because it arrived battered and bruised. It works but a few marks and scuffs.
    Invoice arrives for the full VAT and handling.
    3rd Delivery arrives (seller resent the item missing from delivery 1). He declared the value at less than half what i paid.

I was expecting charges so he really shouldnt have. Even with the charges it was very cheap.

2nd invoice arrives. I phone to complain and they write them both off.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 18th Mar 17, 10:49 AM
    • 12,954 Posts
    • 11,031 Thanks
    paddyrg
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:49 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:49 AM
    If you're importing $1350 of goods there is almost certainly duty and VAT to pay, and any reputable courier is going to do so and charge it back to you (or charge you in advance). You could try claiming the item value is $5, but that'll backfire horribly if you need to claim on insurance.

Just accept the reason the goods are cheaper than UK is because tax is due, and expect to pay it.
    • EdwardB
    • By EdwardB 18th Mar 17, 12:47 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 321 Thanks
    EdwardB
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:47 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:47 PM
    I would be really reluctant to spend more than the £18 on ANYTHING from China

Even then if they suspect you are conning they can hit you for a charge because they examine it and are not sure.

China has virtually no quality control other than you calling and saying "it does not work", China does not give a damn about forgeries (even of it's own brands) and China does not give a damn about it's own reputation.

The fact that China lets people manufacture fake memory products (USB, SD etc) that purport to be 64gb but are 8gb or even lie by saying they have a 2tb USB stick, tells you all you need to know. These are deliberately designed to deceive.

Same as the fake Batteries of every descrription they allow to be manufactured and sold, the irony is we send batteries to China to be recycled, we did NOT mean we want them to be repackaged and sold back to us, only to end up in land fill or recycling again (along with sand and flour).

The amount you are spending is a small fortune, if I were spending that much and if the product was bona fide, I would go over there to get it.
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue.
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 18th Mar 17, 1:44 PM
    • 12,954 Posts
    • 11,031 Thanks
    paddyrg
    • 18th Mar 17, 1:44 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 1:44 PM
    Going to collect isn't a bad idea - it helps keep people honest and it's hard to overstimate the value of a personal relationship in favourable pricing!
    • Sicard
    • By Sicard 19th Mar 17, 8:17 AM
    • 557 Posts
    • 472 Thanks
    Sicard
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:17 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:17 AM
    I would be really reluctant to spend more than the £18 on ANYTHING from China

Even then if they suspect you are conning they can hit you for a charge because they examine it and are not sure.

China has virtually no quality control other than you calling and saying "it does not work", China does not give a damn about forgeries (even of it's own brands) and China does not give a damn about it's own reputation.

The fact that China lets people manufacture fake memory products (USB, SD etc) that purport to be 64gb but are 8gb or even lie by saying they have a 2tb USB stick, tells you all you need to know. These are deliberately designed to deceive.

Same as the fake Batteries of every descrription they allow to be manufactured and sold, the irony is we send batteries to China to be recycled, we did NOT mean we want them to be repackaged and sold back to us, only to end up in land fill or recycling again (along with sand and flour).

The amount you are spending is a small fortune, if I were spending that much and if the product was bona fide, I would go over there to get it.
    Originally posted by EdwardB

I agree, but wouldn't even spend £18 on anything from China.
    Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.
    Isaac Asimov
    • custardy
    • By custardy 19th Mar 17, 8:23 AM
    • 32,206 Posts
    • 26,957 Thanks
    custardy
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:23 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:23 AM
    Use Fedex, they messed my delivery up so badly they wrote off my invoices.

2 packages in the delivery. 1st delivery one empty box (sneakily concealed by the driver) and he vanished quickly without asking for a signature. Other item was in Memphis (visiting graceland)?
    2nd delivery the item must have had gone to some rough parties in Memphis because it arrived battered and bruised. It works but a few marks and scuffs.
    Invoice arrives for the full VAT and handling.
    3rd Delivery arrives (seller resent the item missing from delivery 1). He declared the value at less than half what i paid.

I was expecting charges so he really shouldnt have. Even with the charges it was very cheap.

2nd invoice arrives. I phone to complain and they write them both off.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    person recommends courier due to their terrible service........
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 19th Mar 17, 11:23 AM
    • 754 Posts
    • 472 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 19th Mar 17, 11:23 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 11:23 AM
    Hi

I am purchasing an item from China and the cost is 1356 USD

It gives me an option of which courier i want (no price comes up)

Fedex, UPS, amd DHL

Who should i select to avoid massive import duty ??

Cheers
    Originally posted by stylus360
    None of them. Every one of them will ask for import duty unless the seller lies on the customs declaration and declares it as a £18 including postage item.

Are you sure that there is actually import duty to pay? Many items are zero rated or only a couple of percent.
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 19th Mar 17, 12:00 PM
    • 12,954 Posts
    • 11,031 Thanks
    paddyrg
    None of them. Every one of them will ask for import duty unless the seller lies on the customs declaration and declares it as a £18 including postage item.

Are you sure that there is actually import duty to pay? Many items are zero rated or only a couple of percent.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    Almost certainly VAT@20% to pay, though
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,872Posts Today

8,348Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @kcbelsham: @MartinSLewis . This Account would have to pay at least 12% to achieve £1 million in 35 years . Any ideas ( think it is impo?

• Really? The highest interest rate amount for that volume of cash currently is 2%? You'd need an interest rate explo? https://t.co/6YRk1wLdTl

• Today's Twitter poll: Is it acceptable to take your shirt off and go topless in the street when it's scorching in the UK?

• Follow Martin