Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dogmatix72
    • By dogmatix72 17th Mar 17, 5:28 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 1Thanks
    dogmatix72
    Starting new contract before old is finished
    • 17th Mar 17, 5:28 PM
    Starting new contract before old is finished 17th Mar 17 at 5:28 PM
    Hello, I am currently with talktalk fibre, want to get BT Fibre offer before it ends, but my Talktalk contract doesnt finish until April 21st. Can I start my new contract with BT before the end date and just pay Talktalk the last payment on the contract? I would have thought I could but wondered if anyone knew for sure? Thanks
Page 1
    • jbuchanangb
    • By jbuchanangb 17th Mar 17, 7:21 PM
    • 362 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    jbuchanangb
    • 17th Mar 17, 7:21 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 7:21 PM
    When you cut a TalkTalk contract short you are charged an Early Termination Charge, which is the full non-discounted charges applicable to the remaining duration of your contract.

So, in effect the answer to your question is yes, but it won't be quite that simple. BT will notify TT of your intention to change ISP and specify the date. TT will contact you to check this is OK with you, and probably tell you the amount of ETC.

You confirm that this is your intention (which may be as simple as doing nothing), and the process proceeds. What ever you do, don't cancel the DD with TT. Let their billing system do its stuff. Depending on exact timings you may find you pay some line rental up front to TT as well as paying BT, but in due course TT will calculate the amount to apply as a credit to cancel that out.

This may take more than one billing cycle, but eventually you will have a final bill, either showing a zero balance, or a credit owing to you. If it is a credit then it can be paid into your bank account as long as the DD has not been cancelled.

Your on-line account with TT remains active even after all your transactions are completed.
    • dogmatix72
    • By dogmatix72 19th Mar 17, 4:44 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dogmatix72
    • 19th Mar 17, 4:44 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 4:44 PM
    Brilliant thank you for your help... its much appreciated.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

129Posts Today

2,493Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin