Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 17th Mar 17, 5:23 PM
    • 3,944Posts
    • 5,463Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Places of Interest
    • 17th Mar 17, 5:23 PM
    Places of Interest 17th Mar 17 at 5:23 PM
    I thought it might be quite nice, for us all to share places of interest, either where we live, or around the UK.
    Not everyone can afford to jet off abroad.
    The thread is not about where to stay, but more about being an Arms tourist information thread.

I will start with a town near to me called Christchurch in Dorset.
    There is a market held in the main high street on a Monday, when the road is closed to traffic.
    It is only a small market, but does have stalls selling local produce. There are free tasters.
    If you wonder to the back of the high street, where the pavement turns to cobble stones, you will find a few places displaying local Arts and Crafts. Keep walking and you will find the Witches ducking stool. The river is just a stream these days.
    Walk to the end and cross the road and there is the Old Courthouse, it is a gift shop now, but duck if you are tall.
    There really is so much for free in Christchurch, but I do not want to post a wall of text.
    My favourite place in Christchurch is - https://hampshireculturaltrust.org.uk/red-house-museum-and-gardens
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
Page 3
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 18th Mar 17, 3:04 PM
    • 3,944 Posts
    • 5,463 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    I live by the sea! I'm a water sign, maybe that's why I like it.. I always start to feel a bit claustrophobic when I go further inland for any length of time.
    Originally posted by professor~yaffle
    Welcome to the Arms from me. I have always lived near water, I hadn't really thought about that before.
    Tips x
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 18th Mar 17, 4:13 PM
    • 3,698 Posts
    • 4,143 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Welcome to the Arms from me. I have always lived near water, I hadn't really thought about that before.
    Tips x
    Originally posted by Tipsntreats

Farthest I've lived from the sea is 266 miles.
    • shyestgirl
    • By shyestgirl 18th Mar 17, 5:49 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    shyestgirl
    Farthest I've lived from the sea is 266 miles.
    Originally posted by PompeyPete
    Hello, I'm still here and still in Runnymede. You know, I'm still unsure if I'd actually end up at Tower Bridge if I got in canoe/boat and headed off that way. Our river is the Thames, isn't it (???) but how far can you actually go by boat? Does anyone know?
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 18th Mar 17, 5:52 PM
    • 2,743 Posts
    • 5,610 Thanks
    Murphybear
    Had a few in our local 'spoons yesterday afternoon. Just been to watch the final fly-past of 4 RN Lynx Helicopters, the Lnyx goes out of service at the end of the month after 41 years.

I used to like Lyndhurst in the New Forest, but all the traffic that clogged the place took the shine off.....what's Lyndhurst like these days Tips, has it got a bypass?

Favourite recent places are Valley of the Rocks just outside Lynton; and Ilfracombe, some interesting buildings along the High Street and some interesting characters too. The lower part of Ilfracombe is beautiful, but not sure that Verity is in the right spot.
    Originally posted by PompeyPete
    I agree. My OH took one look at Verity and his words were a little impolite what do you think?
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 18th Mar 17, 5:59 PM
    • 24,129 Posts
    • 86,265 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Hello, I'm still here and still in Runnymede. You know, I'm still unsure if I'd actually end up at Tower Bridge if I got in canoe/boat and headed off that way. Our river is the Thames, isn't it (???) but how far can you actually go by boat? Does anyone know?
    Originally posted by shyestgirl
    Yes, you would. Why wouldn't you? Even the current would take you, at least until up to Teddington Lock. The Thames is tidal after that, so you might have to paddle harder!

Take the easy way out and get the boat from Runnymede to Hampton
    Court, and then change boats for one that will take you from Hampton Court to Tower Bridge.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • The Last Username
    • By The Last Username 18th Mar 17, 7:14 PM
    • 2,728 Posts
    • 6,003 Thanks
    The Last Username
    Does ANYONE want to REALLY make me jealous and tell me that they ACTUALLY do live close to a beach?
    Originally posted by shyestgirl
    A one-mile walk to a long, glorious golden sandy beach from our front door on the Lincolnshire coast.

Dumfries & Galloway is beautiful - the highest inhabited village in Scotland is there, together with ruined abbeys, castles, and history galore.
    A few lovely, picturesque towns and knockout scenery too.
    "I'm not afraid of dying. I just don't want to be there when it happens."
    Spike Milligan
    The internet can be a dangerous place. Be alert.
    There is an international shortage of lerts.
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 19th Mar 17, 12:02 AM
    • 1,477 Posts
    • 1,930 Thanks
    comeandgo
    Well Lerwick is not an Island, it is the main town in The Shetland Isles and I have been there. It's a lovely place, not much to do and not very wam. Expensive to stay in hotels there.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 19th Mar 17, 8:36 AM
    • 3,698 Posts
    • 4,143 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    I agree. My OH took one look at Verity and his words were a little impolite what do you think?
    Originally posted by Murphybear
    Different.....very different, not my cup of tea.
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 19th Mar 17, 3:03 PM
    • 3,944 Posts
    • 5,463 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    I used to live in Portsmouth. I cannot think of where we used to.
    Navy days was the only thing I can think of.
    Not easy with young children I must add.
    Tips x
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 19th Mar 17, 5:46 PM
    • 21,343 Posts
    • 54,417 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Where I live, the Clwydian Range is lovely, great walks, great views, some nice villages and plenty of good pubs to enjoy a meal.

We're also not far from Chester, which an easy, interesting smallish city. Good walls for a walk and Roman ruins, of course. Oh, not to forget the racecourse.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,564Posts Today

6,476Users online

Martin's Twitter