Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 17th Mar 17, 5:23 PM
    • 6,928Posts
    • 8,348Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Places of Interest
    • 17th Mar 17, 5:23 PM
    Places of Interest 17th Mar 17 at 5:23 PM
    I thought it might be quite nice, for us all to share places of interest, either where we live, or around the UK.
    Not everyone can afford to jet off abroad.
    The thread is not about where to stay, but more about being an Arms tourist information thread.

I will start with a town near to me called Christchurch in Dorset.
    There is a market held in the main high street on a Monday, when the road is closed to traffic.
    It is only a small market, but does have stalls selling local produce. There are free tasters.
    If you wonder to the back of the high street, where the pavement turns to cobble stones, you will find a few places displaying local Arts and Crafts. Keep walking and you will find the Witches ducking stool. The river is just a stream these days.
    Walk to the end and cross the road and there is the Old Courthouse, it is a gift shop now, but duck if you are tall.
    There really is so much for free in Christchurch, but I do not want to post a wall of text.
    My favourite place in Christchurch is - https://hampshireculturaltrust.org.uk/red-house-museum-and-gardens
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
Page 2
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 18th Mar 17, 7:19 AM
    • 2,976 Posts
    • 6,139 Thanks
    Murphybear
    I live near Runnymead near Windsor. Although the river is great and you can have picnics etc., in the summer, I DO miss the beach. I'm SO envious if anyone lives near one. Does ANYONE want to REALLY make me jealous and tell me that they ACTUALLY do live close to a beach?
    Originally posted by shyestgirl
    I live right in the centre of Devon. It's about 30 miles north to the beach, (Minehead) it's the most glorious drive through Exmoor and the Exe Valley to get there. You also pass through Dunster, a lovely medieval village mentioned in the Domesday book

It's about 30 miles south to the beach (Exmouth) via the Exe Valley going south and Exeter.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 18th Mar 17, 8:35 AM
    • 4,077 Posts
    • 4,860 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    I find my local Wetherspoons pretty interesting in the morning when I go for my brexit.
    Originally posted by Sleazy
    Had a few in our local 'spoons yesterday afternoon. Just been to watch the final fly-past of 4 RN Lynx Helicopters, the Lnyx goes out of service at the end of the month after 41 years.

I used to like Lyndhurst in the New Forest, but all the traffic that clogged the place took the shine off.....what's Lyndhurst like these days Tips, has it got a bypass?

Favourite recent places are Valley of the Rocks just outside Lynton; and Ilfracombe, some interesting buildings along the High Street and some interesting characters too. The lower part of Ilfracombe is beautiful, but not sure that Verity is in the right spot.
    Last edited by PompeyPete; 18-03-2017 at 1:21 PM.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 18th Mar 17, 10:32 AM
    • 26,560 Posts
    • 96,361 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I love all the ancient Cathedral cities.

They have lots...... loads of history, wonderful old buildings, interesting independent shops inc. bookshops, stacks of interesting things to do, pretty walks, great traditions and, due to the Cathedrals, wonderful music.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • hunters
    • By hunters 18th Mar 17, 10:54 AM
    • 414 Posts
    • 1,264 Thanks
    hunters
    I live near Runnymead near Windsor. Although the river is great and you can have picnics etc., in the summer, I DO miss the beach. I'm SO envious if anyone lives near one. Does ANYONE want to REALLY make me jealous and tell me that they ACTUALLY do live close to a beach?
    Originally posted by shyestgirl
    I live on the beach in Fiji
    • minimad1970
    • By minimad1970 18th Mar 17, 11:01 AM
    • 3,920 Posts
    • 8,280 Thanks
    minimad1970
    Had a few in our local 'spoons yesterday afternoon. Just been to watch the final fly-past of 4 RN Lynx Helicopters, the Lnyx goes out of service at the end of the month after 41 years.

I used to like Lyndhurst in the New Forest, but all the traffic that clogged the place took the shine off.....what's Lyndhurst like these days Tips, has it got a bypass?
    Originally posted by PompeyPete
    We went to watch the helicopters as well. Lyndhurst is still a nightmare for traffic, it does have some nice shops and tearooms though. I often walk my dog at Bolton's Bench which is lovely. We've had to drive through Lyndhurst most afternoons to go to Lymington hospital so I could quite happily never go there again!!
    • tommix
    • By tommix 18th Mar 17, 11:09 AM
    • 34,926 Posts
    • 140,882 Thanks
    tommix
    The Cheese Factory. Pontefract.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 18th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    • 4,077 Posts
    • 4,860 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    The Cheese Factory. Pontefract.
    Originally posted by tommix
    Stopped in Pontefract many moons ago on the way to Hull to catch a P&O ferry to Zeebrugge....bought some Pontefract Cakes.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 18th Mar 17, 1:15 PM
    • 9,789 Posts
    • 23,793 Thanks
    suki1964
    I very lucky that I live on the doorstep of some of the most beautiful beaches in the UK

I would tell you about all the interesting and beautiful places here but the list would be too long and everyone would want to move here
    • tommix
    • By tommix 18th Mar 17, 1:46 PM
    • 34,926 Posts
    • 140,882 Thanks
    tommix
    Stopped in Pontefract many moons ago on the way to Hull to catch a P&O ferry to Zeebrugge....bought some Pontefract Cakes.
    Indeed..It is a fine place to visit. After indulging in copious amounts of lovely cheese and cakes one might also like to pay a visit to what is widely regarded as the most haunted house in the United Kingdom, situated at No30 East Drive.

It is said that a violent poltergeist known as the 'Black Monk' haunts the property..
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 18th Mar 17, 1:51 PM
    • 26,560 Posts
    • 96,361 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I'd like to go to Pontefract, but for the Liquorice festival, if they are still holding it.

A few years ago, they had someone modelling an outfit made from sheets of liquorice!

I love liquorice! (Proper liquorice, not that horrid Haribo and Panda stuff).

I didn't know they did cheese too, Tommix. Is it liquorice-flavoured? Perhaps they feed the cows/sheep on liquorice! Perhaps it's black cheese!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 18th Mar 17, 2:00 PM
    • 6,928 Posts
    • 8,348 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    You could spend a couple of weeks here in Fife and still not see all the places of interest
    We have a royal palace, a couple of cathedrals and more castle than you could shake a drawbridge at and then there are the gold courses, the fishing villages, the Forth bridges and the Tay rail bridge which at one time was the longest of its kind in the world.
    Fife is also a Ramblers paradise with the Lomond hills, the tail end of the Ochil hills and a few other unrelated climbs as well as the 117 mile coastal path to walk round.
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    I googled to take a look. Stunning countryside!
    I have been and fell in love with Loch Loman. The most stunning garden displays by the cottages there. There was this large carving of a bear, I so wanted to have one for myself.
    I have always had a desire to visit Loch Ness, to see if there is a monster
    Tips x
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 18th Mar 17, 2:05 PM
    • 9,789 Posts
    • 23,793 Thanks
    suki1964
    I'd like to go to Pontefract, but for the Liquorice festival, if they are still holding it.

A few years ago, they had someone modelling an outfit made from sheets of liquorice!

I love liquorice! (Proper liquorice, not that horrid Haribo and Panda stuff).

I didn't know they did cheese too, Tommix. Is it liquorice-flavoured? Perhaps they feed the cows/sheep on liquorice! Perhaps it's black cheese!
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    I've a houseguest here ATM from Denmark and liquorice apparently is very popular there. She was telling me they even have liquorice bread
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 18th Mar 17, 2:13 PM
    • 6,928 Posts
    • 8,348 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Murphybear - I have been there. You live in a lovely place.

Posh Pete - Yep still busy. Brockenhurst is nice. In fact the New Forest is vast! I got lost once, straying away from the usual path. There is NO phone signal, and there are wild boars, deer, as well as the ponies.

Pyx have you been to Canterbury?
    I love the old Tudor Houses, that look like they are going to fall over into the river.
    The Cathedral is stunning.

Tips x
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • tommix
    • By tommix 18th Mar 17, 2:16 PM
    • 34,926 Posts
    • 140,882 Thanks
    tommix
    Liquorice, Ghosts, Cakes and Cheese..Pontefract has it all!

Pontefract's the winner!
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 18th Mar 17, 2:22 PM
    • 4,077 Posts
    • 4,860 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    ... the tail end of the Ochil hills and a few other unrelated climbs...
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    I did a leadership course in the Ochil Hills when I was in the RN. It's the only place in Scotland where I witnessed the Wild Haggis with specially adapted telescopic legs for scampering along the hillsides to evade capture.
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 18th Mar 17, 2:29 PM
    • 6,928 Posts
    • 8,348 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    I did a leadership course in the Ochil Hills when I was in the RN. It's the only place in Scotland where I witnessed the Wild Haggis with specially adapted telescopic legs for scampering along the hillsides to evade capture.
    What Posh Pete never heard of a Wild Haggis. Still as long as it wasn't a big rat
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 18th Mar 17, 2:45 PM
    • 26,560 Posts
    • 96,361 Thanks
    Pyxis
    They must have evolved from the ancient clockwise and counter-clockwise species.

They probably interbred, and some developed telescopic legs and lived on, and the others just disappeared up their own bashed neeps.

Yes, I have been to Canterbury. They have a mediaeval carving of a cat above the gate porch.

I think I have been to every ancient cathedral in England, and one in Wales, and several of the more 'modern' ones, plus N.Ireland and Dublin.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 18th Mar 17, 2:56 PM
    • 4,077 Posts
    • 4,860 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    What Posh Pete never heard of a Wild Haggis. Still as long as it wasn't a big rat
    Originally posted by Tipsntreats
    We had a Kenyan sailor on the course. When he saw Wild Haggis, he saw extra rations......but they were too quick for him.
    Last edited by PompeyPete; 18-03-2017 at 4:08 PM.
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 18th Mar 17, 2:59 PM
    • 6,928 Posts
    • 8,348 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    We had a Kenyan sailor on the course. When he saw Wid Haggis, he saw extra rations......but they were too quick for him.
    Posh Pete I thought you said Wild Haggis, now I see Wid Haggis
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • professor~yaffle
    • By professor~yaffle 18th Mar 17, 3:01 PM
    • 477 Posts
    • 712 Thanks
    professor~yaffle
    I live by the sea! I'm a water sign, maybe that's why I like it.. I always start to feel a bit claustrophobic when I go further inland for any length of time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

134Posts Today

2,030Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • You're right, of course. How silly of me. After all, all my work is solely focused on my own personal circumstance? https://t.co/m6DHzFUjzg

• RT @ARJMOR: @MartinSLewis It may well be kind of random, but the algorithm used has a bias to the unpopular seats.

• It seems what Ryanair is saying is "don't pay and we leave you the seats we don't think people want and they're in the middle."

• Follow Martin