Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 17th Mar 17, 5:05 PM
    • 4,244Posts
    • 1,566Thanks
    knightstyle
    0 WOW
    Grantham as a place to live?
    • 17th Mar 17, 5:05 PM
    0 WOW
    Grantham as a place to live? 17th Mar 17 at 5:05 PM
    So we need to move and have thought about Grantham as it seems a nice place, easy reach of Nottingham and the A1.
    Maybe a bit South of the town? Would appreciate you thoughts on best areas, where to avoid, rat runs etc.
    We will be looking for a 3 bed house or bungalow with garage or car space. We are retired so community, church info appreciated.
Page 1
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 17th Mar 17, 5:52 PM
    • 5,599 Posts
    • 10,449 Thanks
    GwylimT
    • 17th Mar 17, 5:52 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 5:52 PM
    Most areas are nice, but the build quality on the alma park estate is fairly poor, there are a lot of under ground streams as well so many houses in alma park have subsidence. The Harrowby estate is nice and quiet with mainly bungalows and three bed semis. The Barratt estate on Dysart road is awful.

South Grantham has lots of nice housing in estates off springfield road, for a house that isn't a new build you need to look around the streets coming off Harlaxton road and the Barrowby Gate estate. Most housing has off road parking bar the old terraced streets. Manthorpe estate is also quite nice, but it can be a bit of a nightmare to get out of the estate during busy times, Manthorpe is North Grantham.

I don't know what religion you are, so I can't comment on places of worship.

Community wise, the local senior citizens centre closed quite a while ago, there are lots of clubs, a yearly festival to celebrate science. Lots of performances at the guildhall and leisure centre.

There are various societies, such as canal, operatic etc in and around town. There is also a library in the Isaac Newton centre. There is also a cattle farm in the centre of town, which is a little odd.

I enjoyed living there, it was quiet, but not too quiet and for the size of the town there is a lot to do.
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 17th Mar 17, 8:23 PM
    • 4,244 Posts
    • 1,566 Thanks
    knightstyle
    • 17th Mar 17, 8:23 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 8:23 PM
    Thanks, just the sort of thing I was looking for. My DW is an Anglican lay minister and we do quite a lot in our local CofE Church. Currently live in N/E Lincolnshire but want to be nearer family and have more things like shows in easy reach. Going to Nottingham next month to see Tommy so will try to spend some time in the area.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,525Posts Today

9,354Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @EmmaDark30: @MartinSLewis off on holiday next month all paid for with free cash for switching bank accounts! Thank you!

• MSE weekly email: Big Energy Switch 7, £5 Next/Zara etc, buy euros now?, 10xNectar, 2for1 gardens, urgent easyjet https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Today's Twitter poll 2: following on, which of these professions would you trust least if you were using their services?

• Follow Martin