Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 17th Mar 17, 5:05 PM
    • 4,447Posts
    • 1,635Thanks
    knightstyle
    0 WOW
    Grantham as a place to live?
    • 17th Mar 17, 5:05 PM
    0 WOW
    Grantham as a place to live? 17th Mar 17 at 5:05 PM
    So we need to move and have thought about Grantham as it seems a nice place, easy reach of Nottingham and the A1.
    Maybe a bit South of the town? Would appreciate you thoughts on best areas, where to avoid, rat runs etc.
    We will be looking for a 3 bed house or bungalow with garage or car space. We are retired so community, church info appreciated.
Page 1
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 17th Mar 17, 5:52 PM
    • 5,878 Posts
    • 10,903 Thanks
    GwylimT
    • 17th Mar 17, 5:52 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 5:52 PM
    Most areas are nice, but the build quality on the alma park estate is fairly poor, there are a lot of under ground streams as well so many houses in alma park have subsidence. The Harrowby estate is nice and quiet with mainly bungalows and three bed semis. The Barratt estate on Dysart road is awful.

South Grantham has lots of nice housing in estates off springfield road, for a house that isn't a new build you need to look around the streets coming off Harlaxton road and the Barrowby Gate estate. Most housing has off road parking bar the old terraced streets. Manthorpe estate is also quite nice, but it can be a bit of a nightmare to get out of the estate during busy times, Manthorpe is North Grantham.

I don't know what religion you are, so I can't comment on places of worship.

Community wise, the local senior citizens centre closed quite a while ago, there are lots of clubs, a yearly festival to celebrate science. Lots of performances at the guildhall and leisure centre.

There are various societies, such as canal, operatic etc in and around town. There is also a library in the Isaac Newton centre. There is also a cattle farm in the centre of town, which is a little odd.

I enjoyed living there, it was quiet, but not too quiet and for the size of the town there is a lot to do.
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 17th Mar 17, 8:23 PM
    • 4,447 Posts
    • 1,635 Thanks
    knightstyle
    • 17th Mar 17, 8:23 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 8:23 PM
    Thanks, just the sort of thing I was looking for. My DW is an Anglican lay minister and we do quite a lot in our local CofE Church. Currently live in N/E Lincolnshire but want to be nearer family and have more things like shows in easy reach. Going to Nottingham next month to see Tommy so will try to spend some time in the area.
    • nathando
    • By nathando 18th May 17, 11:54 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    nathando
    • 18th May 17, 11:54 AM
    • 18th May 17, 11:54 AM
    A few things will change for property owners in Grantham this year, worth reading the blog below:

coversure.co.uk/grantham/blog[/url] /what-is-changing-for-property-owners-in-2017
    • Newly retired
    • By Newly retired 26th May 17, 10:47 PM
    • 2,325 Posts
    • 2,693 Thanks
    Newly retired
    • 26th May 17, 10:47 PM
    • 26th May 17, 10:47 PM
    Just my observation but Grantham looks to have gone somewhat downhill in recent years.
    Some lovely villages in the Vale of Belvoir to the west/SW of Grantham.

Grantham is in Lincs, but the Vale comes mainly in Notts. and Leics.
    Or you might prefer the substantial village of Bottesford or the town of Bingham which is just off the A52 and has good access to Nottingham by road, train and bus, and an easy run to both M1 and A1.

As church is important, you might want to check this out further. If you would like more info, please PM me.
    • hcb42
    • By hcb42 27th May 17, 11:27 AM
    • 5,782 Posts
    • 3,503 Thanks
    hcb42
    • 27th May 17, 11:27 AM
    • 27th May 17, 11:27 AM
    Would second the villages between Grantham and Bingham - I lived there myself for years, some lovely places to live
    • macman
    • By macman 27th May 17, 4:08 PM
    • 41,350 Posts
    • 17,001 Thanks
    macman
    • 27th May 17, 4:08 PM
    • 27th May 17, 4:08 PM
    Maggie Thatcher couldn't wait to leave when she was 18. Make of that what you will...
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,691Posts Today

8,228Users online

Martin's Twitter