Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Charlton King
    • By Charlton King 17th Mar 17, 4:57 PM
    • 1,510Posts
    • 1,014Thanks
    Charlton King
    Food mixer recommendations, anyone..?
    • 17th Mar 17, 4:57 PM
    Food mixer recommendations, anyone..? 17th Mar 17 at 4:57 PM
    I have always used a Kenwood Chef in the past, sticking with these even to the point of buying second hand and reconditioned models. However I now fancy buying a new machine but am not prepared to shell out the 150+ this involves.

Can anyone recommend another make/model, based on satisfactory performance at first hand, which comes in at below 100? Would be very grateful for any help.

Please note: food MIXER, not 'processor'.
Page 1
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 17th Mar 17, 7:25 PM
    • 2,965 Posts
    • 5,484 Thanks
    jackyann
    • 17th Mar 17, 7:25 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 7:25 PM
    I appreciate your reluctance, but in my experience, food mixers are one of those things where you buy a good one, or not at all (in the old days of 'domestic science colleges' it was alleged that the students had a punch like boxers because of the workout their arms got!)

If need be, though I would look at a good hand-held OR look at using some of the 'mix' attachments on a good food processor - I have had good experience with these.

I hope someone else comes along with more experience, as I am sure that many cheaper appliances can be excellent, but you need to use them for a good while before you know!
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 17th Mar 17, 8:19 PM
    • 811 Posts
    • 13,703 Thanks
    Siebrie
    • 17th Mar 17, 8:19 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 8:19 PM
    May I de-recommend one? I bought a Kenwood Patissier, but it is useless and gives lumpy dough.
    Still a womble 2017 #25 6061,61= 5129.77
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 3.483,31= 2,969.05
    • Charlton King
    • By Charlton King 17th Mar 17, 9:26 PM
    • 1,510 Posts
    • 1,014 Thanks
    Charlton King
    • 17th Mar 17, 9:26 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 9:26 PM
    I appreciate your reluctance, but in my experience, food mixers are one of those things where you buy a good one, or not at all (in the old days of 'domestic science colleges' it was alleged that the students had a punch like boxers because of the workout their arms got!)

If need be, though I would look at a good hand-held OR look at using some of the 'mix' attachments on a good food processor - I have had good experience with these.

I hope someone else comes along with more experience, as I am sure that many cheaper appliances can be excellent, but you need to use them for a good while before you know!
    Originally posted by jackyann
    Full of commonsense and good stuff. Sadly, my bank balance isn't!
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 17th Mar 17, 9:36 PM
    • 4,522 Posts
    • 9,449 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 17th Mar 17, 9:36 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 9:36 PM
    I have a cheap food mixer, I can't comment on its performance compared to an expensive model as I have never owned an expensive one

It makes a lot of noise and I mean a lot you can't have a conversion in the next room when it is running

If you don't mind that it does the job. I only use it about once or twice month, its is suitable for my limited needs.
    Sealed pot challenge ~ 10 #017
    Declutter 2017 items in 2017 - 78/2017

• Charlton King
    • By Charlton King 17th Mar 17, 9:40 PM
    • 1,510 Posts
    • 1,014 Thanks
    Charlton King
    • 17th Mar 17, 9:40 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 9:40 PM
    Even the expensive ones come into the noisy bracket in my experience! My main concern is that it should do a reliable, solid job on bread and cake dough mixing.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 17th Mar 17, 9:48 PM
    • 4,522 Posts
    • 9,449 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 17th Mar 17, 9:48 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 9:48 PM
    Even the expensive ones come into the noisy bracket in my experience! My main concern is that it should do a reliable, solid job on bread and cake dough mixing.
    Originally posted by Charlton King
    Interesting about the noise, I assumed the more expensive models would be better designed to be quieter.

Mine works fine with cake mixing (my main use for it) I don't make large cakes only 2 egg versions so that might make a difference. I tested it with bread once and it was fine, however I have a bread maker I use for dough so can't comment it if is durable for this.

I am reluctant to go as far to recommend it as I have no experience of a more expensive model to compare to, for all I know compared to these it could be useless

• Charlton King
    • By Charlton King 17th Mar 17, 9:54 PM
    • 1,510 Posts
    • 1,014 Thanks
    Charlton King
    • 17th Mar 17, 9:54 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 9:54 PM
    Would you be able to let me know the make/model? Either on the thread or by PM is fine.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 17th Mar 17, 10:09 PM
    • 4,522 Posts
    • 9,449 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:09 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:09 PM
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/VonShef-Powerful-Silicone-Beater-Balloon/dp/B00BIN0LZ2/ref=sr_1_16?s=kitchen-appliances&ie=UTF8&qid=1489788370&sr=1-16&keywords=food+mixer

Please do more research and don't take my word for it I would feel guilty if you weren't satisfied with it, its still alot of money to waste. The knobs/controls do feel cheap and the mixing attachments could be better quality but I suppose you get what you pay for and to be fair they have lasted (so far) I have had it about 6 months.

• usernameisvalid
    • By usernameisvalid 18th Mar 17, 12:10 AM
    • 296 Posts
    • 718 Thanks
    usernameisvalid
    You just can not beat a Kenwood chef unfortunately if you bake a lot

Have you looked in lidl? This coming week ( I think) they are doing their own brand Kenwood for around 150. Now I've not looked at reviews so I'm not recommending it at all. However lidl do accept returns easily if you keep your receipt. It may be worth researching
    • Pop Up Pirate
    • By Pop Up Pirate 18th Mar 17, 6:58 AM
    • 688 Posts
    • 1,581 Thanks
    Pop Up Pirate
    There is only one food mixer and that's a Kitchen Aid.

You'll never need another for the rest of your life.
    • Tiddlywinks
    • By Tiddlywinks 18th Mar 17, 11:14 AM
    • 5,223 Posts
    • 17,701 Thanks
    Tiddlywinks
    There is only one food mixer and that's a Kitchen Aid.

You'll never need another for the rest of your life.
    Originally posted by Pop Up Pirate
    I agree.

Get a second hand KitchenAid - the white classic model is slightly less powerful but still does the job for a lot less money than the Artisan model.... upgraded my classic last year and not much difference in performance.

Worth every penny, and they are easy to get fixed too if anything needs doing in the future.
    • maryb
    • By maryb 18th Mar 17, 11:30 AM
    • 3,219 Posts
    • 37,687 Thanks
    maryb
    I have a Kenwood Chef which I don't use. I take a different approach from most people as I find that a powerful hand held mixer suits me much better as I can get into all bits of the bowl, instead of constantly having to stop to scrape it down and I get a better feel for the mix. I bought an extra set of beaters which is extremely useful. The key is to get the most powerful motor you can for a hand held. Some are only 250 watts which is pathetic

This one is 400w, much more like it
    https://www.johnlewis.com/browse/electricals/food-processors-mixers-blenders/food-mixers/hand/_/N-aglZ1z0rj4d?intcmp=cp_ele_foodpreparation_fuwi1_to p_handmixers_lhd_x050516

Same wattage as the Dualit hand mixers which are much more expensive. I have a Bosch hand mixer which has stood up to hard use for 20 years so I recommend it.

I don't use a hand mixer for bread doughs but my breadmaker is so much better even than my Kenwood Chef.
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • Charlton King
    • By Charlton King 18th Mar 17, 11:45 AM
    • 1,510 Posts
    • 1,014 Thanks
    Charlton King
    I don't use a hand mixer for bread doughs but my breadmaker is so much better even than my Kenwood Chef.[/QUOTE]

I find that breadmakers are ok so long as you have a tiny appetite...
    • Whoknowskt89
    • By Whoknowskt89 19th Mar 17, 4:54 PM
    • 201 Posts
    • 455 Thanks
    Whoknowskt89
    I didn't have a lot of money to buy an electric free standing but bought one of the below just over 2 years ago.
    It can be used free standing as well.
    I mainly use it for cakes as I have a bread machine but in the time I've had it I've had no problems and at times I'll use it 3 or 4 times a day.
    It's not top of the range but it's cheap and may come in handy while saving for one over 150?
    It comes in 3 colours too. It's also on Groupon for less at the moment.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Blenders-Mixers-Food-Processors/Breville-Pick-Mix-Stand-Hand-Mixer-Vanilla/B00JQEI3NM
    Mortgage 67 993
    Pay off loan by xmas 2017 - GONE started May 2016 finished March 2017 3205
    Credit card 0%870 1424!!!
    Emergency fund 731/1000
    TV fund 185
    Savings aim (including EF fund) Jan 2018 3050 Jan 2019 9450
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,785Posts Today

7,412Users online

Martin's Twitter