Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Prince Paul
    • By Prince Paul 17th Mar 17, 3:51 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Prince Paul
    Spark Energy - Final Bill Woes
    • 17th Mar 17, 3:51 PM
    Spark Energy - Final Bill Woes 17th Mar 17 at 3:51 PM
    Hi.

I have just moved out of a property that used Spark Energy and received a final bill for over £135.
    Six weeks prior to this I was told I was around £120 in credit and a few weeks after that my wife was told we was £80 in credit when she rang up to tell them we were leaving.

We gave them up-to-date meter readings as well.

Has anyone else had any issues with this company regarding final bills because there is no way we have used over £200 in our last month, when for the previous 6 years we have used no more than £100 a month.

Any other advice about taking this further would also be much appreciated.

Thanks
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 17th Mar 17, 4:07 PM
    • 16,040 Posts
    • 10,204 Thanks
    molerat
    • 17th Mar 17, 4:07 PM
    If you have not been billed recently or previous bills have been estimates then your account being in credit is meaningless, that credit is only held against future bills and you can quickly go into debit. If the final bill uses the correct readings and carries on correctly from the previous bill then it is probably correct. Have you worked it out for yourself ?
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 17th Mar 17, 4:07 PM
    • 1,254 Posts
    • 61,373 Thanks
    D_M_E
    Did they include a breakdown of what the demanded sum is for?

You should look at what tariff you were on and what your opening and closing meter readings were, and what you paid to Spark in total.

If you have this information, it will be easy to calculate the total Spark should have been paid and subtract this from the total which you have paid to them.

If the difference agrees with their figures, or is within a fiver or so, then pay up.

But if their figures are way out, then I suggest you write to them and send a recorded delivery letter headed COMPLAINT in big bold letters outlining your calculations and the fact that, if it applies, they are demanding payment for a bill they have not sent, etc and also send an email as well.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 17th Mar 17, 4:35 PM
    • 26,489 Posts
    • 12,750 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 17th Mar 17, 4:35 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 4:35 PM
    As said above, being 'in credit' is meaningless. I can be £600 in credit today and tomorrow receive a bill for £700 and have a debit balance of £100.
    • Spark Energy: Jenny
      Verified User verified user
    • By Spark Energy: Jenny Verified User verified user 20th Mar 17, 9:52 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Spark Energy: Jenny
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:52 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:52 AM
    Hi Prince Paul

There's some great advice here from MSE forum members.

The easiest way to sort this out would be to email me using the address on my profile. I can put payment reminders on hold while we look into things.

It could be possible that you've been billed on estimates during your tenancy (depending on whether or not you gave us regular readings) and depending on how you paid us you may have made Direct Debit payments which hadn't yet been billed for, which were sitting on your account waiting to be billed.

If you decide to get in touch I'll need your full name, your supply address, and a note of any meter readings you have from when you moved in and out of the property.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards

Jenny
    Customer Relations Manager
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Spark Energy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

692Posts Today

6,512Users online

Martin's Twitter