Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jpwhittle
    • By jpwhittle 17th Mar 17, 3:24 PM
    • 1,461Posts
    • 2,573Thanks
    jpwhittle
    negativity from others
    • 17th Mar 17, 3:24 PM
    negativity from others 17th Mar 17 at 3:24 PM
    Does anyone else find that many other people are really quite negative towards our hobby? So many people that think we are wrong to enter so many or that its not right that we should win what we do? Even suggesting i should donate my wins to local hospitals.
    It kind of upsets me as actually in reality I try and make someone else smile with my wins to. My biggest ever win I gave to my dad as it was something i knew he would be thrilled with, while the other week when i won playdoh i was told i should give it away, I let my children have some as after a few rough years it was nice to let them have something so nice and they where thrilled, the rest has gone into the christmas pot while some has been put to one side for when my daughters dance school is fundraising.
    I very rarely keep anything myself as im always thinking of other people, I have ideas of what i keep for me (like the familypass to gulivers i just won) but i also like to see other people smile. Most people dont know the half of what i do et seem to feel so free to judge.

Anyway rant over, i just wondered if other people find this to x
    back to comping in 2017, fingers crossed
Page 2
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 18th Mar 17, 12:12 AM
    • 8,769 Posts
    • 10,867 Thanks
    hazyjo
    I think a lot of people must speak without engaging their brain. I'm sure they think it's 'cheating' to be a comper. My brain doesn't really comprehend. What makes me a comper? Entering more than 10 a week? 50? 500? 5,000? I have no bloody idea. I think they all think we enter the same comp 100 times. There are usually hundreds or thousands of entries and I have one entry - as much chance of winning as them if they got up off their !!!!!$ and entered! People never believe me about how many competitions there are out there!

Weird innit.

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; cinema tickets; lipstick; tickets, afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne at Ideal Home Show
    • dumplingiow
    • By dumplingiow 18th Mar 17, 12:55 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    dumplingiow
    Over the years I've read so many posts just like this and it makes me so sad that some compers have experienced this kind of reaction to their success.

I, on the other hand, would just like to say that I have only experienced positive responses to my comping efforts. I've been comping for around 15 years now and got rather good at it. I have never, as yet, had a negative response from anyone I've told. In fact, I'm asked all the time what I've won lately and often feel really guilty if I have nothing juicy to report. Some people look seriously disappointed when I say I haven't won anything. At one point I almost felt like a minor local celebrity, so far had the word spread about what I was up to.

Recently I've taken a step back from comping while I concentrate on other things and I can tell you the only pressure I've felt about this is from the people around me. They hate it. I've come to think that my little tales of good luck give people a bit of hope. I don't know. But the fact I'm not entering so many comps seems to be bothering other people more than it is me.

It's a hobby, enjoy it. If you are lucky, you'll do well. Worse case scenario is that you'll join a community like this with like minded people who all plod on in a hobby that occasionaly brings fantastic results.

As for the people who react badly. Do what I do, offer to teach them all about how to do it. Explain facebook, twitter, MSE, roboform, email signatures, dailies, purchase required. Really go for it. Hammer in how long this all takes. I guarantee you, before your coffee cups are cold most people will be revising their opinions of whether you are just a lucky moo or whether you actually deserve winning that weeks supply of ......... for all of your efforts.

As a final thing I'd just like to add that sometimes even the most sceptical people can benefit from your comping if you just keep trying. I entered into a comp for a holiday for 8 people worth £12000. If you didn't win but your referral did, you won a holiday for 2 worth £3500. So I badgered all my work mates, about 8 in total to enter though my referal link. None of them particularly wanted to, but they did it to keep me happy. You can imagine how happy I was then to ring my colleague one night to say K have you checked your emails only I've got one that says you've won first prize £12000 hoiday, I have second prize as your referrer. How awesome is that!!
    • JamboDP
    • By JamboDP 18th Mar 17, 11:32 AM
    • 30,328 Posts
    • 6,506,041 Thanks
    JamboDP
    This is my rant.

Don't people look at what they are entering for, there was a comp on facebook last week for a £5 voucher it had over 5000 likes and the sob stories were ridiculous.
    I used to enter 4-5 hundred comps daily, it has now dropped to around 200 due to the type of prizes available, I don't have any GK so all toys and kids stuff I don't enter, I don't watch DVDs so they are all a no. I hate rafflecopter and gleam comps. I have only ever won once on Twitter and facebook prizes have dried up. My best chance of winning anything now are the Mag dailies and the weekly and monthly mags.
    I do it just for fun and whatever I win is a bonus
    • mclarkie
    • By mclarkie 18th Mar 17, 11:57 AM
    • 5,168 Posts
    • 854,464 Thanks
    mclarkie
    It doesn't matter what you do in life, someone will always find something negative to say about it.

F!!k em
    • sleepyjones
    • By sleepyjones 18th Mar 17, 12:09 PM
    • 3,088 Posts
    • 255,404 Thanks
    sleepyjones
    If you do anything in life, you generally do it for something ... be that Kudos, money, reputation ... whatever.

You're entering comps, giving up your time, next time anyone says you should donate your prizes tell them they should donate their wages, it's no different.
    • SuperWin
    • By SuperWin 18th Mar 17, 12:39 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    SuperWin
    That's bizarre - why shouldn't you enter competitions to win for yourself anyway!!? I enter for myself, my family and for presents etc.

I haven't exactly had a negative response, although I suspect they probably think I should be doing something else with my time. I'd rather be sat comping in the evening, than sat watching the TV!

People don't like what they don't understand - I basically don't tell anyone anymore, because it's none of their business. The only people that I may talk to about it are my very close friends and immediate family.

I gave up for a couple of years until last month and haven't won anything this month so far, so I have nothing to talk about with it right now anyway haha....

I'd say it's best to not bother talking about it --- but anyone that suggests you should donate your wins to charity is plain rude and should be told as much!
    After a two year break from comping, I'm back!!! Loving it!!!
    • jpwhittle
    • By jpwhittle 18th Mar 17, 2:05 PM
    • 1,461 Posts
    • 2,573 Thanks
    jpwhittle
    oh i do enter for myself to i just dont seem to win those ones lol. At the start of the year i told my husband i would like to win gifts for all the occasions in the year and so far have done quite well i think i have only bought for 1 occasion so far and have some christmas pressies stashed away. Im also swagbucking and stuff for my kids main presents if i dont win them.
    I love comping and do make sure i let people know it isnt a case of winning every comp i enter. I was once made to feel so bad for it and slagged of so much from a group of people i thought where friends i ended up very very poorly with depression. Since then i dont tell anwhere near as many people and i am to frightenedd to enter facebook comps.
    I love my hobby, I love making people smile and i love having nice things that often turn up just when we need them rather than just bills
    • Yatota74
    • By Yatota74 18th Mar 17, 6:43 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    Yatota74
    Why has it got anything to do with anyone else? Can't understand people that feel the need to make nasty comments other than jealousy maybe.

I don't really tell many people that I do comping apart from my close family and friends and they all seem happy enough if I win something nice for them. And by the looks of it one of my daughters has inherited my love for comping, although she is only 13 she looks for comps she is allowed to enter and today her very first win came through the post. A lipstick from a youtuber she is over the moon and I'm excited with her.
    • andrew71
    • By andrew71 19th Mar 17, 4:59 PM
    • 981 Posts
    • 6,332 Thanks
    andrew71
    I've had the usual comments of some people "well you do nothing all day, I don't have time" because I don't work (illness and disability) "Why bother nobody ever wins that you know of"
    But what makes me laugh is these people are quite happy to spend nearly £10 a week on lottery tickets.

• bubblebobble23
    • By bubblebobble23 19th Mar 17, 5:06 PM
    • 362 Posts
    • 31,526 Thanks
    bubblebobble23
    I believe in karma! what goes around comes around!

If you are negative, clicky, unsharing and miserable then that is what you will get!
    If you are happy, generous and go lucky then that's what will happen to you!

I comp to my own rules, I don't enter for things me or friends or family can not use or things I don't like!
    I try and share comps if I can!

as long as I'm happy with what I do I don't care what others think! and neither should you!
    • Moneybot
    • By Moneybot 19th Mar 17, 6:54 PM
    • 5,673 Posts
    • 163,531 Thanks
    Moneybot
    The newt says what goes around comes around. A leopard can't change it's spots. You don't have to die to be reincarnated.

Toys will be thrown out of the pram but when?
    Please note all references to "The Newt" are to my newt not to any other newt.

ps Yes I know the newt is my imaginary pet newt so is in fact a made up newt and the other newt or newts might be real newts but I don't care!!!!
    • mansey
    • By mansey 19th Mar 17, 8:17 PM
    • 2,483 Posts
    • 7,559 Thanks
    mansey
    The newt says what goes around comes around. A leopard can't change it's spots. You don't have to die to be reincarnated.

Toys will be thrown out of the pram but when?
    Originally posted by Moneybot
    Smooth

(Message too short so adding more )
    “I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.”
    ― Billy Joel
    • jpwhittle
    • By jpwhittle 19th Mar 17, 8:29 PM
    • 1,461 Posts
    • 2,573 Thanks
    jpwhittle
    I've had the usual comments of some people "well you do nothing all day, I don't have time" because I don't work (illness and disability) "Why bother nobody ever wins that you know of"
    But what makes me laugh is these people are quite happy to spend nearly £10 a week on lottery tickets.
    Originally posted by andrew71
    haha yep totally know what you mean, i cant work through illness but probably won more than i ever would on the lottery and didnt spend anything near as much out
    • Moneybot
    • By Moneybot 19th Mar 17, 9:20 PM
    • 5,673 Posts
    • 163,531 Thanks
    Moneybot
    Smooth

(Message too short so adding more )
    Originally posted by mansey
    The newt would like to be able to reply sometimes with just a "?"

But the board says no.

The newt has decided that hypocrisy will be commented upon in a newty fashion henceforth.
    Please note all references to "The Newt" are to my newt not to any other newt.

ps Yes I know the newt is my imaginary pet newt so is in fact a made up newt and the other newt or newts might be real newts but I don't care!!!!
    • serenity2012
    • By serenity2012 20th Mar 17, 11:52 AM
    • 1,552 Posts
    • 93,277 Thanks
    serenity2012
    Never had anything negative said to me. Not online and certainly not face to face. Nothing but well done etc. Nobody in a million years would stand in front of you face to face because then there are consequences for them. I wouldn't even worry about someone online hiding behind their pc saying it. Laugh at them, block and move on.
    April 2017 Wins: Backdoor Shoes Collection of fabrics

• RavenRae
    • By RavenRae 20th Mar 17, 2:26 PM
    • 1,827 Posts
    • 65,087 Thanks
    RavenRae
    I don't tell people, the green eyed monster comes out and I just CBA with them!
    I won a trip to South Africa world cup and one of the guys at work said it should have been him, he watches more football than me, how dare I enter that competition, was seriously narked at me!!
    First of all, he had no idea how much footie I watch and secondly - he never entered so why the heck should he have won.....?
    That pretty much sealed it for me, unless I'm asked I don't tell.
    People don't understand
    Last edited by RavenRae; 21-03-2017 at 7:33 AM. Reason: spelling error
    "Knowledge will give you power, but character respect" ~ Bruce Lee
    • BenhamsLC
    • By BenhamsLC 20th Mar 17, 4:51 PM
    • 5,737 Posts
    • 18,177 Thanks
    BenhamsLC
    I agree don't tell anyone, but it is annoying when you give presents and they say I suppose you won it!!!!!!!!. Think positive be positive
    Now officially a Silver Surfer have hit the Big 60 only another 6 years till I get my pension.
    114 wins in 2015
    94 wins in 2016
    30 Wins in 2017Big Thanks to Everyone on MSE.
    Wishing you all lots of Good Luck, Good Health and Happiness in 2017
    • worriedindebt
    • By worriedindebt 20th Mar 17, 5:48 PM
    • 260 Posts
    • 1,468 Thanks
    worriedindebt
    This is my rant.

Don't people look at what they are entering for, there was a comp on facebook last week for a £5 voucher it had over 5000 likes and the sob stories were ridiculous.
    I used to enter 4-5 hundred comps daily, it has now dropped to around 200 due to the type of prizes available, I don't have any GK so all toys and kids stuff I don't enter, I don't watch DVDs so they are all a no. I hate rafflecopter and gleam comps. I have only ever won once on Twitter and facebook prizes have dried up. My best chance of winning anything now are the Mag dailies and the weekly and monthly mags.
    Originally posted by JamboDP
    I'm the same.. I went through a phase of entering loads a few years back but gave it up after a while. Won a few nice thing though.
    Have come back to it after a rest and just enter for things I will need or use.
    Can't understand the negativity though.. Maybe it's just jealousy.
    Ignore it and have fun I say!
    Thanks to all who post here
    • Defoe
    • By Defoe 20th Mar 17, 7:15 PM
    • 372 Posts
    • 4,169 Thanks
    Defoe
    Develop a thicker skin all!

I work unpaid two days plus every week for an advice organisation and, when I revealed my comping addiction, I was told by a rather prim colleague "Surely you can find something better to do with your time??!!"

I laughed like a drain...... No more comments!!
    Relatively poor 2016 but here's hoping.....

Wins in 2017: 25 prizes realised value £369
    Wins in 2016: 51 prizes realised value £790
    Wins in 2015: 81 prizes realised value £2,065
    • happysaz133
    • By happysaz133 21st Mar 17, 10:47 AM
    • 809 Posts
    • 13,855 Thanks
    happysaz133
    I rarely get bad comments (at least that I am aware of ) There are a few on my facebook feed who moan 'It's not fair, you win everything'. And I find it hilarious because really, my wins are frequent but they are small, I've never won anything big and electrical like I see people winning on the comp groups I use, and in the years and years I've been doing this, I've never won a holiday either. I'm not complaining because I love my hobby and I am happy with all my little wins, but I definitely don't win 'everything' :P

And they don't appreciate that for all those little wins I use up hours of my life! Whilst they enter 1 or 2 competitions and expect to win.
    GOAL - win 72 prizes in 2016.
    SO FAR - 29!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

590Posts Today

5,540Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just seen @IvoGraham doing stand up in a comedy club. Superb, witty, self depricating, clever stuff. Go see him if you get the chance

• RT @ChrissyNunn: New one from @Tesco today.. "The sale of Goods Act is just legislation, it's like a guideline, it's not law" @MartinSLewis?

• Off to Torremolinos? I'm filming my roadshow there next Fri 28th during the day then in Branigans at 5pm. Want to come? Let @itvmlshow know

• Follow Martin