Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LEP
    • By LEP 17th Mar 17, 1:50 PM
    • 113Posts
    • 14Thanks
    LEP
    Any reason to not pay money into a pension?
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:50 PM
    Any reason to not pay money into a pension? 17th Mar 17 at 1:50 PM
    If saving long term with an aim for retirement is there any good reason to not put any spare cash into a workplace pension scheme where you get the benefit of salary sacrifice?

I soon will have £1000/month spare cash and am wondering what to do with it…..I am 42 and am saving enough into a pension to retire fairly comfortably at 60.

The extra money would benefit from 32% ‘relief’ as it would be taxed at the 20p rate should I take it as pay.

Should I stick the lot into my pension – the obvious benefit is I could bring my retirement date forward – or not….?
Page 1
    • atush
    • By atush 17th Mar 17, 1:53 PM
    • 16,241 Posts
    • 9,911 Thanks
    atush
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:53 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:53 PM
    Well the main reason not to would be that you dont have other savings and investments to fall back on that are accessible should you need money quickly in an emergency. Or you know that you will need a large sum in the near future (ie before age 55).

If you do have other finds for the above, then that 32% savings would be very enticing.
    • Aretnap
    • By Aretnap 17th Mar 17, 3:43 PM
    • 2,721 Posts
    • 2,163 Thanks
    Aretnap
    • 17th Mar 17, 3:43 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 3:43 PM
    (ie before age 55).
    Originally posted by atush
    The OP is 42, so AIUI under current plans he won't be able to access his pension until he's 57 will he? Or has that been shelved for the time being?

In any event I'd assume that the age at which he'll be able to access it is likely to rise by the time he retires - certainly in the long term it's only going to go in one direction. So if he's hoping to bring his retirement age significantly forward from 60 it would be a good idea to have savings outside his pension to cover any gap between stopping work and accessing his pension (and provide for contingencies along the way).

That aside, the salary sacrifice certainly makes the pension an attractive option.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,749Posts Today

6,117Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin