Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mynameisrose
    • By Mynameisrose 17th Mar 17, 1:42 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Mynameisrose
    Customer service when switching energy supplier
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:42 PM
    Customer service when switching energy supplier 17th Mar 17 at 1:42 PM
    Hello
    I'm would like to switch my energy supplier. I've price compared and could save £500 per year.
    The problem is I live in scotland, my current supplier is SSE and the one I would like to switch to is a based in England. What would happen if I had a problem such as a cut in supply due to a fault or bad weather? Who would come and fix it if anyone?
Page 1
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 17th Mar 17, 2:13 PM
    • 3,707 Posts
    • 2,010 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:13 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:13 PM
    Hello
    I'm would like to switch my energy supplier. I've price compared and could save £500 per year.
    The problem is I live in scotland, my current supplier is SSE and the one I would like to switch to is a based in England. What would happen if I had a problem such as a cut in supply due to a fault or bad weather? Who would come and fix it if anyone?
    Originally posted by Mynameisrose
    Hi - welcome to the forum. It doesn't work like that. The suppliers just supply and bill. The network is maintained by separate entities. For example, I live in the West Midlands and over the years I have switched to EDF, E.oN, Ovo, Zog, and Iresa. My electricity supply network is maintained by Western Power. Western Power turns out if trees come down in storms etc and the supply is cut.

http://www2.nationalgrid.com/UK/Our-company/Electricity/Distribution-Network-Operator-Companies/
    • Mynameisrose
    • By Mynameisrose 17th Mar 17, 2:59 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mynameisrose
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:59 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:59 PM
    right, ok, So no matter where you live in the u.k or whichever supplier you choose the network operator that covers your area will fix any faults, is that correct?
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 17th Mar 17, 3:10 PM
    • 3,707 Posts
    • 2,010 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 17th Mar 17, 3:10 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 3:10 PM
    right, ok, So no matter where you live in the u.k or whichever supplier you choose the network operator that covers your area will fix any faults, is that correct?
    Originally posted by Mynameisrose
    If it's a power cut, then the DNO showing on the map for your area will turn out. If your meter fails, then your supplier will manage the problem on your behalf. Just switch: you will be fine.

Bear in mind that you might lose your English electricity supply after SEXIT. (joke)
    • Mynameisrose
    • By Mynameisrose 17th Mar 17, 6:19 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mynameisrose
    • 17th Mar 17, 6:19 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 6:19 PM
    yeah damn politics

and yes now i know whats what i might as well save myself some ££££ had the same supplier forever and now with their price hikes it's time, thanks again.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,168Posts Today

6,365Users online

Martin's Twitter