Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fendi-bag-lady
    • By fendi-bag-lady 17th Mar 17, 1:13 PM
    • 168Posts
    • 425Thanks
    fendi-bag-lady
    Lots to look forward to!
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:13 PM
    Lots to look forward to! 17th Mar 17 at 1:13 PM
    Hi

It's been years and years since I posted on here and now I'm in a completely different situation. I don't have (or want!) any debts as such however, I have been getting very good money for the last couple of years and just frittering it away to the point that I have nothing to show for it and so need to start a new diary to keep myself accountable for my actions. I have a good life and I'm happy with where I am at the moment but feel that I could do much more if I was more carefully with my money. This is my current situation:

I live alone in a flat I rent privately. I have a car which I pay £165 a month for. I work full time and I am also a full time student. As I am very rarely ever home I have decided to give up my flat. This is not something I really want to do at my age (early 30's) especially as I have lived on my own for a few years. So next month I am taking the plunge and moving into a shared house.

I feel like my life is on hold whilst studying and dream about the days I will be able to move back to my hometown, have the job I have always dreamed of, a nice flat and some pocket money for holidays and hobbies (and maybe even a boyfriend!). The next 6 months will be spent concentrating on passing my course and saving money. Then come October I'll be in a great position to live the life I want and have worked hard for (well that's the plan anyway!)

Lx
    "My New Life" Savings: £34.95/£3,000

Whit's fur ye'll no go by ye!
Page 1
    • fendi-bag-lady
    • By fendi-bag-lady 17th Mar 17, 1:30 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    fendi-bag-lady
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:30 PM
    £3k in 6 months
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:30 PM
    My financial situation from next month should look like this:

Income....................................£1,200is h

Rent (including all bills):............£425
    Car:.......................................£165
    Car Insurance:.........................£45
    Phone:....................................£55
    Storage:..................................£100?? - Still need to sort this

That leaves are £100 a week to spend on fuel, food and other bits and bobs.

I have a few things I'd also like to save up for:

New York spending money (September).......................£1,000
    New flat deposit & 1 months rent................................£1,000
    Spending money for new flat......................................£500
    New clothes etc............................................... .........£500

- Not sure if £1,000 for 6 days in New York is too much? I haven't been on holiday for years and this will be a present to myself for finishing university so whilst I'm not going to be throwing money around I also want to see and do things comfortably without worrying too much.

- The new clothes etc might seem a bit much but I'm going to have a professional job and hope to look the part. I haven't taken care of my appearance for a while now and to be honest I look a bit scruffy (to say the least!) Looking good is another part of this new life I'm hoping to create.

£3k in 6 months is probably unrealistic but I do have plans for some money coming in from here and there. I just really need this diary to keep me accountable for the day to day spending and hope I don't squander it all away!

Lx

• Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 17th Mar 17, 1:47 PM
    • 10,320 Posts
    • 66,168 Thanks
    Bobarella
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:47 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:47 PM
    Good luck Fendi
    "You're not rich until you have something money can't buy."

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £52.96 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1530.02 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • fendi-bag-lady
    • By fendi-bag-lady 17th Mar 17, 2:12 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    fendi-bag-lady
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:12 PM
    Day 1
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:12 PM
    I've just had a quick look at my bank accounts and worked everything out until the end of the month. All of my bills for the month have been paid, both of my bank accounts are at £0 and my savings account has £10.59. I currently have £177.92 in my purse to last until I get paid on the 31st, from that I will need to get food and petrol (£35) and any other bits that crop up but completely manageable

Lx

• fendi-bag-lady
    • By fendi-bag-lady 17th Mar 17, 2:13 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    fendi-bag-lady
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:13 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:13 PM
    Thanks Bobarella!! Not sure why I didn't tighten the purse strings a while ago!

Lx

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,990Posts Today

8,298Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll 2: following on, which of these professions would you trust least if you were using their services?

• Today's Twitter poll: Which of these professions would you trust most if you were using their services?

• RT @ctsi_uk: Section 75 credit card protection may fail due to payment processing loophole - shoppers beware @MartinSLewis https://t.co/8uQ?

• Follow Martin