Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Buzzz
    • By Buzzz 17th Mar 17, 12:54 PM
    • 113Posts
    • 7Thanks
    Buzzz
    Accident claims
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:54 PM
    Accident claims 17th Mar 17 at 12:54 PM
    Hi,

First apologies as I don't even know what this is 'formally' called but feel I know you will know immediately to what I am talking about

About a year ago my mum was hit from behind in her car by another car, who admitted fault. This was whilst moving very slowly towards a round about where she wasn’t injured, but due to the age of the car, it was written off. She received a pay out from her insurers for the value of the car and used a friend to get the damage done and the car continues.

She has received phonecalls from someone (not sure whether a legal firm or other) saying that as she was not at fault she would be entitled to a standard claim/payout of £2600, where she didn’t have to have injuries at the time (she’s had none manifest themselves since) and she’s wanting to pursue this.

In my mind nothing is for free, but where I don’t understand what this is (despite feeling suspicious and that this is probably a waste of time) I can’t back up my ‘just leave it and don’t engage with them’ line.

Can anyone help or point me in the direction of what these claims area?

Thanks very much.

Page 1
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 17th Mar 17, 2:19 PM
    • 35,347 Posts
    • 45,487 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:19 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:19 PM
    They are scammers . They still ring me saying exactly that and my accident was 6 years ago and i wasnt even in the car.

Forget them. Especially because they think you are stupid
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 17th Mar 17, 2:22 PM
    • 35,347 Posts
    • 45,487 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:22 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:22 PM
    And any way, no injuries at the time, none have manifested since, what is there to pursue unless she is going to lie about it, which would be fraud or worse.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 17th Mar 17, 2:28 PM
    • 4,181 Posts
    • 2,322 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:28 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:28 PM
    I assume the £2600 is based on them not knowing any details about the accident and would be a generic whiplash claim total. I'd be disappointed if you could get that much for limited injury, it took me best part of 2 years to get less than that after a car hit me when cycling
    • societys child
    • By societys child 18th Mar 17, 11:10 AM
    • 4,209 Posts
    • 4,388 Thanks
    societys child
    • 18th Mar 17, 11:10 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 11:10 AM
    not sure whether a legal firm or other
    They're just scamming ambulance chasers . .

• Placitasgirl
    • By Placitasgirl 18th Mar 17, 12:04 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 302 Thanks
    Placitasgirl
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:04 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:04 PM
    I get calls at least once a week from the same type of company - they speak as is they know you've been involved in an accident in the hope that you have been and will give them business. Fortunately I've never had/been involved or injured in an accident and firmly tell them to delist my number immediately and not call again. Your mum is likely just a random "target" - if she wasn't injured she has no case and they would have no fee to earn from taking her on. Ignore them and move on!
    • breaking_free
    • By breaking_free 18th Mar 17, 12:09 PM
    • 292 Posts
    • 555 Thanks
    breaking_free
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:09 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:09 PM
    Glad I saw this thread. I had a call from some firm or other just last week asking about an accident I'd supposedly had. I hung up after 30 seconds as the lady would not accept that I hadn't had any accident! I was wondering what her angle was - now I know.
    "The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,643Posts Today

9,602Users online

Martin's Twitter