Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cathy373
    • By Cathy373 17th Mar 17, 12:43 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Cathy373
    Refund for faulty hi-fi after 6 months
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:43 PM
    Refund for faulty hi-fi after 6 months 17th Mar 17 at 12:43 PM
    Hi. I bought a Bush mini hi-fi from a company on Amazon marketplace last July. The cd open/close mechanism started to go after maybe 4 months but wasn't too bad. Now it has completely gone. I emailed yesterday and the company said I had no rights as it was more than 6 months since I bought the hi-fi. They said I could contact Bush (in fact, Argos, as they have taken over Bush and are named on the guarentee). Spoke to Argos who had no idea if they could help me as the item had been resold, and so had no idea if I had any right of repair/return with them or the company on Amazon.
    Can anyone help me?
Page 1
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 17th Mar 17, 1:03 PM
    • 3,206 Posts
    • 3,246 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:03 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:03 PM
    Your rights are with the seller. The seller is obliged* to provide a remedy (repair, replace, refund) and you have up to 6 years from time of sale to pursue it through the courts. After 6 months any refund can be partial to account for usage.

* Since you complained after 6 months then the seller can insist on you obtaining a report to prove that the fault was inherent (present but not apparent at the time of sale) before providing a remedy. If the seller insists on a report, if the report proves (on the balance of probabilities) an inherent fault (so not caused by you) then the seller would also be liable for the reasonable cost of the report.

How much did you pay? (Some battles are worth fighting, some aren't).
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • SouthUKMan
    • By SouthUKMan 18th Mar 17, 9:56 PM
    • 284 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    SouthUKMan
    • 18th Mar 17, 9:56 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 9:56 PM
    Your consumer rights are always with the retailer (the place you purchased the item from).

Just out of interest, I thought that nowadays Bush is exclusive to Argos (I'm happy to be corrected!)? If this is the case then surely the Amazon retailer is either selling customer returns (which companies like Argos bulk sell / auction on the cheap - a lot of these end up on eBay, Amazon, market stalls, etc), or is selling a second-hand item. I rather suspect that unless a guarantee was offered or implied by the Amazon seller, then I'm sorry to say that there's not a lot you can do with them.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but the useful thing to pick out of this for all of us is to act immediately when something starts to go wrong with a purchase - as it is soooo much easier to fight companies when the law is on your side. But it then becomes sooo much more difficult when you step over that magic 6 month threshold.
    Last edited by SouthUKMan; 18-03-2017 at 10:00 PM.
    • bris
    • By bris 18th Mar 17, 10:09 PM
    • 6,837 Posts
    • 5,868 Thanks
    bris
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:09 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:09 PM
    Hi. I bought a Bush mini hi-fi from a company on Amazon marketplace last July. The cd open/close mechanism started to go after maybe 4 months but wasn't too bad. Now it has completely gone. I emailed yesterday and the company said I had no rights as it was more than 6 months since I bought the hi-fi. They said I could contact Bush (in fact, Argos, as they have taken over Bush and are named on the guarentee). Spoke to Argos who had no idea if they could help me as the item had been resold, and so had no idea if I had any right of repair/return with them or the company on Amazon.
    Can anyone help me?
    Originally posted by Cathy373
    You posted this a few days ago, nothing has changed since then.
    A new user name doesn't change that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,095Posts Today

7,049Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: How many languages do you speak (inc Eng) with reasonable fluency (eg can have decent phone chat solely in that lang)

• RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• Follow Martin