Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 17th Mar 17, 12:31 PM
    • 272Posts
    • 33Thanks
    MSE Callum
    MSE News: Cost of NHS prescriptions and dental care to rise next month
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:31 PM
    MSE News: Cost of NHS prescriptions and dental care to rise next month 17th Mar 17 at 12:31 PM
    The charge for an NHS prescription and NHS dental care in England will rise from 1 April, the Government has announced...
    Read the full story:
    'Cost of NHS prescriptions and dental care to rise next month'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Page 2
    • Ames
    • By Ames 19th Mar 17, 4:36 PM
    • 16,154 Posts
    • 28,109 Thanks
    Ames
    I've long believed every item dispensed on a prescription should be priced this way. Hopefully it may reduce waste.
    Originally posted by pmduk
    And what about people who need more expensive medication but can't afford hundreds or thousands a month for them?
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Reading the alphabet in 2017. 21/100
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 19th Mar 17, 4:51 PM
    • 4,740 Posts
    • 5,967 Thanks
    theoretica
    And what about people who need more expensive medication but can't afford hundreds or thousands a month for them?
    Originally posted by Ames
    I think the poster was refering to the cost being printed on the packet - not to being charged it.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 19th Mar 17, 5:33 PM
    • 14,730 Posts
    • 20,909 Thanks
    antrobus
    I think the poster was refering to the cost being printed on the packet - not to being charged it.
    Originally posted by theoretica
    Well, that's what I was originally referring to. You don't get charged the cost of meds on discharge from hospital, you don't pay anything for meds in a NHS hospital. Crumbs, if you're in enough pain, they give you class A drugs for free.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 19th Mar 17, 5:56 PM
    • 2,796 Posts
    • 3,765 Thanks
    Nick_C
    The thing that annoys me is when the prescription costs much more than the drug. I use generic betnovate. About 30g a year. If I could buy it OTC it would be about £3.
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    Have you asked for a private prescription for it?
    Originally posted by Ames
    I've not. I thought GPs charged for private prescriptions? I'll ask when I get the next one. Thanks.

The cream itself costs £1.89!!

https://www.weldricks.co.uk/products/betamethasone-valerate-cream-30g

And I've just checked my GP's website. They charge £25 for issuing a private prescription!!
    Last edited by Nick_C; 19-03-2017 at 6:04 PM.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 19th Mar 17, 6:25 PM
    • 16,154 Posts
    • 28,109 Thanks
    Ames
    Originally posted by theoretica
    Well, that's what I was originally referring to. You don't get charged the cost of meds on discharge from hospital, you don't pay anything for meds in a NHS hospital. Crumbs, if you're in enough pain, they give you class A drugs for free.
    Originally posted by antrobus
    Ah, I misunderstood, apologies.

I've not. I thought GPs charged for private prescriptions? I'll ask when I get the next one. Thanks.

The cream itself costs £1.89!!

https://www.weldricks.co.uk/products/betamethasone-valerate-cream-30g

And I've just checked my GP's website. They charge £25 for issuing a private prescription!!
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    That's a shame, some do it for free if the meds are cheaper. You could ask them next time you see them though, if it's a once or twice a year thing. After all it doesn't cost them anything extra to print it off if you're being issued it in person.
    Save
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Reading the alphabet in 2017. 21/100
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 20th Mar 17, 10:36 PM
    • 1,134 Posts
    • 1,524 Thanks
    Kim_13
    Only about 10% of the English pay prescription charges. There is a long list of exemptions, including 'people over 60'.
    Originally posted by antrobus
    That doesn't make it right, in fact the medical exemptions just increase the unfairness. Transplant patients still have to pay, even though they would die without the medicines. Likewise asthmatics are likely to have issues if they don't get their inhalers. Then there those with a qualifying condition, who get free everything even if it isn't related to that condition!
    Sealed Pot 10 #520 ~ ~£62.55/£100
    VSP 2017 #9 ~ £41.40/£250.00
    CCCC 2017 #1 ~ £162.71/£120.00
    EF #170 ~ £500
    Xmas 2017 #25 ~ £10/£365
    365 Day Penny Challenge #4 ~ £17.31/£667.95
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 21st Mar 17, 4:35 PM
    • 7,010 Posts
    • 9,705 Thanks
    KxMx
    The medical exemption list is very antiquated and is long, long over due for through re-assessment IMO.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 23rd Mar 17, 10:39 AM
    • 7,502 Posts
    • 1,732 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Do DIABETICS get an exception ?
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 23rd Mar 17, 10:26 PM
    • 1,134 Posts
    • 1,524 Thanks
    Kim_13
    Do DIABETICS get an exception ?
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    Only if they take insulin or other medicine for the diabetes.
    Sealed Pot 10 #520 ~ ~£62.55/£100
    VSP 2017 #9 ~ £41.40/£250.00
    CCCC 2017 #1 ~ £162.71/£120.00
    EF #170 ~ £500
    Xmas 2017 #25 ~ £10/£365
    365 Day Penny Challenge #4 ~ £17.31/£667.95
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

102Posts Today

2,636Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @themiltonjones: Bother. Chucked out of Question Time.

• Hmm I meant getting radical in my last tweet - having googled 'getting rad', I may not be in touch with t'lingo... https://t.co/t538UveBuz

• Dimbleby becomes the Dimblebomb and kicks someone out. Question time getting rad #bbqt

• Follow Martin