Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tir21
    • By tir21 17th Mar 17, 12:23 PM
    • 889Posts
    • 178Thanks
    tir21
    Does a new bumper need part of wings respraying
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:23 PM
    Does a new bumper need part of wings respraying 17th Mar 17 at 12:23 PM
    Took it to a premier bodyshop. They are saying it's necessary to spray wings otherwise might not blend in
Page 1
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 17th Mar 17, 12:36 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    debtdebt
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:36 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:36 PM
    Depends on the colour. They are right though.
    • tykesi
    • By tykesi 17th Mar 17, 12:44 PM
    • 1,662 Posts
    • 2,238 Thanks
    tykesi
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:44 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:44 PM
    What's a 'premier' body shop?
    £2017 in 2017 - £1974.69
    • tir21
    • By tir21 17th Mar 17, 2:30 PM
    • 889 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    tir21
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:30 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:30 PM
    Originally posted by tykesi
    Expensive - but I'm not paying
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 17th Mar 17, 2:58 PM
    • 691 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:58 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:58 PM
    Originally posted by tykesi
    The absolute best. As in Premier Inn.
    • EdGasket
    • By EdGasket 17th Mar 17, 3:04 PM
    • 3,456 Posts
    • 1,444 Thanks
    EdGasket
    • 17th Mar 17, 3:04 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 3:04 PM
    Depends how fussy you are I'd say. There probably would be some colour mismatch though between a newly painted bumper and the rest of the car with paint that has aged. The effect can be minimised by 'blending' as they refer to. They have to be good though or you might end up with some dodgy looking wings and wished you'd just stuck to 'paint the bumper only'.

When I've had repairs done I can see the difference in colour but it doesn't bother me; I understand that new paint from a different batch is not going to match 10 year old paint on the car that has weathered. By the time you get some dirt on it, it all looks the same
    Last edited by EdGasket; 17-03-2017 at 3:06 PM.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 17th Mar 17, 3:08 PM
    • 9,555 Posts
    • 6,557 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 17th Mar 17, 3:08 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 3:08 PM
    What colour is it, metallic or solid?
    • facade
    • By facade 17th Mar 17, 5:52 PM
    • 2,662 Posts
    • 1,366 Thanks
    facade
    • 17th Mar 17, 5:52 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 5:52 PM
    They always tell you that they can't possibly match the colour properly, yet when you have a Japanese motorbike and you damage a candy metallic fairing panel, you just order one from the dealer in the correct colour, and fit it without any colour matching problems.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • ilikewatch
    • By ilikewatch 17th Mar 17, 5:55 PM
    • 962 Posts
    • 1,166 Thanks
    ilikewatch
    • 17th Mar 17, 5:55 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 5:55 PM
    I would generally buy a used bumper from a car the same age/colour so that (hopefully) the paint has aged/faded at the same rate as yours. This has worked well for me in the past, but I guess I may have been lucky as there's a lot of variables that could create a mis-match.
    • reeac
    • By reeac 17th Mar 17, 6:03 PM
    • 1,053 Posts
    • 422 Thanks
    reeac
    If you get the wings resprayed to match the new bumper then will they also match the adjacent doors? Best, I would have thought, to have the transition from respray to original paint occur where there is a change of orientation such as between bumper and wing rather than between wing and door.
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 17th Mar 17, 6:16 PM
    • 5,584 Posts
    • 4,576 Thanks
    Sleazy
    The absolute best. As in Premier Inn.
    Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck
    Stick to the day job ....
    Signed Sleazy
    The Last Of The Lounge Lizards
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 17th Mar 17, 6:17 PM
    • 14,354 Posts
    • 12,697 Thanks
    AdrianC
    If you get the wings resprayed to match the new bumper then will they also match the adjacent doors? Best, I would have thought, to have the transition from respray to original paint occur where there is a change of orientation such as between bumper and wing rather than between wing and door.
    Originally posted by reeac
    Except there may not be a change of orientation... Many bumpers wrap almost seamlessly into the adjoining panels.

So, yes, you do need to blend the new paint into the wing in order to achieve a seamless transition.

The entire wing isn't sprayed - the new paint is faded out, to make any minor difference in shade less visible.
    • s b
    • By s b 18th Mar 17, 6:40 PM
    • 4,318 Posts
    • 2,341 Thanks
    s b
    Took it to a premier bodyshop. They are saying it's necessary to spray wings otherwise might not blend in
    Originally posted by tir21
    ...correct
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 19th Mar 17, 11:15 AM
    • 754 Posts
    • 472 Thanks
    Tarambor
    They always tell you that they can't possibly match the colour properly, yet when you have a Japanese motorbike and you damage a candy metallic fairing panel, you just order one from the dealer in the correct colour, and fit it without any colour matching problems.
    Originally posted by facade
    Because the manufacturer paints thousands of them at the same time and the bike is relatively new. When you go to a body shop they have a mixing chart and mix up a single batch of paint for the job so it may or may not be slightly off from the original, if its metallic the "flow" of the particles may be slightly different and if the car is of any age the paint won't be the same colour that it came out of the factory due to sun fade.

Try it with a bike that is 10 years old and the new panel will stick out like a sore thumb against the rest of the faded fairing.

OP: By all means only get the panel that was damaged done but don't complain if it sticks out like a sore thumb as it is standard industry practice to blend in over the adjacent panels.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

141Posts Today

1,788Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @themiltonjones: Bother. Chucked out of Question Time.

• Hmm I meant getting radical in my last tweet - having googled 'getting rad', I may not be in touch with t'lingo... https://t.co/t538UveBuz

• Dimbleby becomes the Dimblebomb and kicks someone out. Question time getting rad #bbqt

• Follow Martin