Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Juumanji
    • By Juumanji 17th Mar 17, 12:21 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Juumanji
    Can I get a recommendation?
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:21 PM
    Can I get a recommendation? 17th Mar 17 at 12:21 PM
    Hello everyone!

A small introduction, my name is Tiago, 29 years old, currently living in Hastings, East Sussex. I am married and we are expecting a child in a few months!

My wife and I are currently looking to move, as we have a 2 bed flat and are looking for a 3 bed. However, at the same time, we are looking to move somewhere else in the country.

For personal reasons, we need to save up money more than often, so I started by looking up some of the cheapest towns/cities/counties to live in. The sheer amount of information, though, is hard to take in for someone not native to this country. This is why I'm here in the forums, hoping to get some personal advice!

So the main thing I'm looking for is, obviously, cheap. We are looking for a 3 bedroom house.

I am a barista with 5 years experience and my wife is a nurse with 6 years experience, and would like to remain, if possible, within said jobs or similar.

Low crime rate and anti-social behaviour are a bonus... as well as within a reasonable drive to any airport (we travel a lot between Portugal and UK).

Can anyone provide some recommendations off the back of their heads?
Page 1
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 17th Mar 17, 12:25 PM
    • 9,038 Posts
    • 59,497 Thanks
    LEJC
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:25 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:25 PM
    Are you looking to rent or buy a property?

Do you have an idea of budget?
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 160 out 139 in ...£18.64 spend
    • Juumanji
    • By Juumanji 17th Mar 17, 12:28 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Juumanji
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:28 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:28 PM
    I'm looking to buy. Budget guessing is a bit hard for me, but I would say anything up to £140000 (which is currently what my flat is worth). I don't mind stretching it to, say up to 170000 if it's really worth it.
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 17th Mar 17, 12:36 PM
    • 32,360 Posts
    • 17,370 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:36 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:36 PM
    Staffordshire.

Plenty of green, cheap property, close to M6 and Birmingham, East Mids and Manchester Airports.

Staffordshire & Stoke On Trent Partnership Trust always has nurse vacancies and you have several major hospitals close by.

Plenty of towns in Staffordshire have trendy coffee houses.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 17th Mar 17, 12:43 PM
    • 9,038 Posts
    • 59,497 Thanks
    LEJC
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:43 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:43 PM
    I would start by plotting out the airports with carriers to portugal then placing in hospitals etc.

I would guess there are many places North of where you are that offer cheaper housing but you need to list your priorities in order to narrow your search down to specific areas.

Dont forget that if you are planning a move to an area you are really not familiar with it might be an idea to visit the area for a long weekend to see if it is somewhere you may wish to settle.

Have you looked at areas around Bristol for example or a little further down the coast where housing could be a little cheaper but still retain the feeling of being close to the coast....
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 160 out 139 in ...£18.64 spend
    • Juumanji
    • By Juumanji 17th Mar 17, 12:54 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Juumanji
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:54 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:54 PM
    Thank you for your replies guys.

Fortunately, being close to the coast isn't really of much importance to us

You are absolutely right, I would never dream of moving without getting a feel of the area first.

If I had to list, I would say my priorities are... price > employability > 2 hour drive to nearby airport > social aspect.

I'm sure there is much more to it than just what I listed, but we're a very adaptable bunch.
    • alex_163163
    • By alex_163163 17th Mar 17, 1:14 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    alex_163163
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:14 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:14 PM
    I currently live in the East Midlands (Northamptonshire), and there are some towns in this area that are quite cheap to buy property.
    I moved here for work 3 years ago, not knowing anything about the region, and have settled here quite nicely.
    In terms of airports - Luton, Stanstead, Birmingham and East Midlands are all about an hour away. We have found this very convenient.
    Large towns such as Northampton, Peterborough, Huntingdon and Leicester are all commuteable, typical journey being about 45 mins to each.
    Outside the towns there are plenty of green open spaces in this region too so it's good for country walks etc. Lots of lovely country pubs too!

The North in general is classed as cheaper than London and the SE.
    I'd suggest looking at Northamptonshire and above. (I know that's still a very large area!)
    Of course there are pockets/ areas that are not cheap in the North (Harrogate, York, etc)

Hope you find somewhere you like!
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 17th Mar 17, 1:18 PM
    • 9,830 Posts
    • 12,479 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:18 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:18 PM
    I always quite liked Newark (AKA Newark-on-Trent). Market town in Nottinghamshire. My friend lived there for years and her family are still there. There is a hospital, and others not too far away. I've been there many times.

East Midlands Airport is nearest.

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • emmarich123
    • By emmarich123 17th Mar 17, 1:41 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    emmarich123
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:41 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:41 PM
    I second the East Midlands plenty of value for money in Leicestershire area- especially Ashby De La Zouch, Coalville, Loughborough areas and are only 20 mins away from East Midlands airport- good value properties and plenty to do socially
    • ap1985
    • By ap1985 17th Mar 17, 4:16 PM
    • 299 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    ap1985
    East midlands would definitely be a good option for you. I live in Leicestershire and would highly recommend. You definitely get value for money, there are good schools, options of jobs in and around Leicestershire, airport not far and loads to do. Plus your not far from Birmingham, Nottingham, Northampton, Derby etc.
    Finally going to be a homeowner
    • KateySW
    • By KateySW 17th Mar 17, 4:22 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    KateySW
    Can recommend the West Midlands. I would suggest somewhere like Stourbridge sort of way. Or if you're looking for somewhere more rural, somewhere like Shifnal or Cosford, which has a direct rail link into Birmingham city centre.
    Plenty of hospitals in West Mids depending on which area you'd prefer - Birmingham hospitals, New Cross, Russells Hall etc. Birmingham airport close by, not too difficult to get to London airports or Manchester either. House prices are pretty reasonable from what I've heard!

Good luck!
    • easilydistracted
    • By easilydistracted 17th Mar 17, 7:14 PM
    • 461 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    easilydistracted
    Definitely another vote for the West Midlands. In Coventry you can set something reasonable for that budget although it won't cover all areas. Very easy link to Birmingham International airport. I relocated from the South West and my money went an awful lot further.
    • The_Logans
    • By The_Logans 17th Mar 17, 9:57 PM
    • 235 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    The_Logans
    Congratulations on the soon-to-be baby! I would also agree West Midlands. I live in Shropshire, work in Chester (1 hour away). Birmingham airport is about 1 hour to drive, Manchester about 1.5 hours out of rush hour. Several hospitals within 30 minutes commuting distance, including Royal Shrewsbury and Princess Royal in Telford. A quick search on Rightmove within 10 miles of my postcode returned nearly 100 properties ( 3 bed houses up to £170000). If you want to ask about specific areas feel free to message me. Good luck!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,440Posts Today

8,527Users online

Martin's Twitter