Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GreenwichGirl1972
    • By GreenwichGirl1972 17th Mar 17, 11:00 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 2Thanks
    GreenwichGirl1972
    PPI reclaim - useful tip I learned
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:00 AM
    PPI reclaim - useful tip I learned 17th Mar 17 at 11:00 AM
    I was missold ppi 3 times by two banks and both rejected my complaints. I referred my complaints to the financial ombudsman and over the last two years I've had 2 reject letters from adjudicators and another from an investigator. So that was that, or so I thought.

At Christmas someone told me that just because an adjudicator or investigator rejects your complaint you can still appeal to have it looked at again EVEN IF YOU HAVE NO MORE INFORMATION OR EVIDENCE.

So for my most recent one I asked for an ombudsman to look at it - I had nothing more to add but I just wanted it looking at again. And last week I won and my bank will pay me back in a few weeks.

MORAL OF THE STORY - even if an adjudicator or investigator rejects your complaint and you have no more evidence you should always ask for an ombudsman to look at it again. Apparently 10% of complaints are reversed by the ombudsman even if there's no more evidence
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 17th Mar 17, 11:12 AM
    • 86,846 Posts
    • 52,001 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:12 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:12 AM
    Apparently 10% of complaints are reversed by the ombudsman even if there's no more evidence
    Evidence is not the issue. The adjudicator should have all the evidence. Its more a case of whether the adjudicator has come to a conclusion that is deemed correct.

Apparently 10% of complaints are reversed by the ombudsman even if there's no more evidence
    This includes cases where the adjudicator has upheld the complaint and the firm has appealed to an ombudsman and the ombudsman change the decision away for the consumer in favour of the firm.

PPI reversals are not common. It has happened but its mainly on complicated cases where you see it.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • GreenwichGirl1972
    • By GreenwichGirl1972 17th Mar 17, 11:25 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    GreenwichGirl1972
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:25 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:25 AM
    You're probably right...I can see you work in finance and I don't. But I was just saying that when the financial ombudsman rejected my complaint it cost me nothing to ask them to refer it to an ombudsman. And for the sake of an email the worst outcome was going to be another reject letter. But in my case that one line email was worth just over £860. So I think it was worth it. And I was only sharing my experience
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 17th Mar 17, 11:40 AM
    • 3,944 Posts
    • 2,176 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:40 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:40 AM
    You're probably right...I can see you work in finance and I don't. But I was just saying that when the financial ombudsman rejected my complaint it cost me nothing to ask them to refer it to an ombudsman. And for the sake of an email the worst outcome was going to be another reject letter. But in my case that one line email was worth just over £860. So I think it was worth it. And I was only sharing my experience
    Originally posted by GreenwichGirl1972
    It's not even some sort of secret tip. The right of appeal to the Ombudsman is freely publicised. As Dunstonh has said, 90% of them just confirm what the Adjudicator says
    • GreenwichGirl1972
    • By GreenwichGirl1972 17th Mar 17, 12:08 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    GreenwichGirl1972
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:08 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:08 PM
    Ok...well I didn't know. Guess I'm one of the lucky 10% ��
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,076Posts Today

13,415Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Reminder: It's MSE Anthony here, not Martin... I can?t answer questions, sorry ? just sharing useful links to relevant info. #MartinLewis

• Hearing reports of @billmonitor crash (probably due to high traffic). Maybe try later/tomorrow if struggling to get on it. /MSE Anthony

• Cheap broadband info & best buys here: https://t.co/4KNfAPJN3Q #MartinLewis

• Follow Martin