Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jimmeechoo
    • By jimmeechoo 17th Mar 17, 11:17 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jimmeechoo
    Claims Prevention using Smart Tech
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:17 AM
    Claims Prevention using Smart Tech 17th Mar 17 at 11:17 AM
    Hi,

I'm looking to see if there are any companies that help you save money on your home insurance by helping to prevent claims?

I know there is some smart tech out there that helps detect when things are going wrong (i.e. leaks, fires, break ins) but I just wondered if anyone knew of any companies that gave you money off if you had things installed (or even better if they provided you with something)

Thanks in advance for any replies.
    J
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 17th Mar 17, 1:18 PM
    • 18,515 Posts
    • 14,230 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:18 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:18 PM
    No, but I won't be at all surprised if we soon hear from you about the Smart Tech that your company is able to provide.
    • jimmeechoo
    • By jimmeechoo 17th Mar 17, 1:34 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jimmeechoo
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:34 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:34 PM
    Seems a little rude agrinnall...

I don't work for a company that provides Smart Tech - I'm just into technology and I've read some stuff about the future of home technology i.e. things like the Hive and wondered if anyone knew of anyone using this kind of stuff now.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 17th Mar 17, 1:52 PM
    • 25,872 Posts
    • 10,301 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:52 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:52 PM
    What tech prevents break ins? The only house close to me with an alarm is the only one to be broken into.

Hive the future? I thought that was available now?

Curious how the hive will reduce claims though? Will it stop kids throwing toys that accidently damaged the TV. Or make people secure TVs to the wall properly or not place them on flimsy stands?

Will it stop people spilling stuff onto the carpet?

Curious how tech prevents claims? What have you invented or selling or seen for sale?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • jimmeechoo
    • By jimmeechoo 17th Mar 17, 2:10 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jimmeechoo
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:10 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:10 PM
    I've read about some things that can detect leaks so you can get to them before they do real damage... meaning you might not need to claim or might be able to claim for less.

On the burglar alarm thing I think there are some high end ones that send you messages if you're broken into so you can call the police (saves the alarm being ignored which always happens in our end).

It just stands to reason to me that if you can find a way to ensure you don't have to claim or claim for less your premiums would be less...

Not sure if any insurance companies are thinking the same way and offering discounts if you have this stuff fitted or if they'd even give you the kit?

Hive is available now - I was just using it as an example of the 'connected home'
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 17th Mar 17, 8:02 PM
    • 25,872 Posts
    • 10,301 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 17th Mar 17, 8:02 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 8:02 PM
    Mate was fitting alarms that called several numbers if triggered and that was in the 90's. You could call the police if its triggered but what if its a false alarm?

And if its not a false alarm then you have a claim or loss.

Read about things that detect leaks? Leaks of what?

The problem with the devices your talking about is they trigger after the fact. So your already likely to claim.

You need a device that prevents leaks. And prevents your alarm triggering in the first place.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 17th Mar 17, 8:26 PM
    • 30,118 Posts
    • 19,059 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 17th Mar 17, 8:26 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 8:26 PM
    Hive is available so not sure what the is on about, hive is to do with energy nothing to do with detecting fires or leaks.

There is loxone that covers security amongst other things but it sounds like a normal burglar alarm.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 18th Mar 17, 10:57 AM
    • 4,676 Posts
    • 5,045 Thanks
    societys child
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:57 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:57 AM
    On the burglar alarm thing I think there are some high end ones that send you messages
    Not particularly 'high end'.
    I've one that phones me if the alarm sounds, and can send texts to a number of people about the status of the system.
    Amongst the many available messages, if there's a power cut, it switches to battery back-up and lets me know via text.
    When power is restored it sends a smiley face message, AC Power Restore.
    ebay's* full of these 'hi-tech' churned-out-in-China gadgets . . . prices start from around £30.

Wireless, water leak, gas leak, smoke alarms, etc, etc are available as add ons.

* Also available from other suppliers . .
    Last edited by societys child; 18-03-2017 at 10:59 AM.

• unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 18th Mar 17, 11:32 AM
    • 1,764 Posts
    • 2,205 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 18th Mar 17, 11:32 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 11:32 AM
    You get to know you have been broken into when it initially happens however don't expect to the police to go rushing around when you call. A burglary on an empty property when there is no threat to life is pretty low priority.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

628Posts Today

6,157Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin