Returning HP laptop to argos ~ please help

hi everyone,

i bought a hp laptop from argos and about 2 weeks after getting it, it blue screened on me. my friend said he could fix it but i decided to let hp support take it away to be fixed. that was almost 2 months ago and they keep pushing back the date that i can have it back. they keep saying they are waiting for a new part which i do not believe to be true as my friend said it should be just a case of flashing the hard drive.

what i want now is a refund. im unhappy that it broke so quickly and also having to wait so long to get it back.

what i want to know is do i have a right to get a refund after what has happened.

thanks.

Comments

• naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    hi everyone,

i bought a hp laptop from argos and about 2 weeks after getting it, it blue screened on me. my friend said he could fix it but i decided to let hp support take it away to be fixed. that was almost 2 months ago and they keep pushing back the date that i can have it back. they keep saying they are waiting for a new part which i do not believe to be true as my friend said it should be just a case of flashing the hard drive.

what i want now is a refund. im unhappy that it broke so quickly and also having to wait so long to get it back.

what i want to know is do i have a right to get a refund after what has happened.

thanks.

I suggest you go in and speak to someone in Argos. (They generally seem to be quite helpful from other people's experiences.)

Did you go to HP rather than Argos initially? If so then I am not sure you have a right to a refund. Your statutory rights are against Argos and they (not HP) need to be given a chance to provide a remedy - repair, replacement or refund, at Argos's option. Only if they fail to do so are you entitled to a refund.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Blue screening is more often a hardware fault rather than software so your friend is an idiot.

It can be a few different things, GPU being the likely cause but bad memory, CPU, hard drive and motherboard can all cause the issues.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    bris wrote: »
    Blue screening is more often a hardware fault rather than software so your friend is an idiot.

It can be a few different things, GPU being the likely cause but bad memory, CPU, hard drive and motherboard can all cause the issues.

That used to be true but since windows 8 and 10 bluescreening has been caused mostly by software issues in my experience of computer repairs, generally update issues, either with an update released before it was ready and causing conflicts or a virus on the machine conflicting with the updates.

It does still happen with hardware I just wouldn't agree that it happens more for hardware than software like it used to so the friend may not be the idiot you think they are.
  • Leo2020
    Leo2020 Posts: 910 Forumite
    I had Windows Vista blue screen due to the driver for a Netgear USB wireless card I had. Nothing wrong with the PC itself.

Anyway flashing usually refers to the BIOS, perhaps your friend thought the BIOS needed updating.

Either way HP have found a fault. Have they said what part they need?
  • no, i was not told what part was needed. my friend was sure he could fix it as he had fixed a similar issue for someone else recently. is their an acceptable time period for the laptop to be fixed within.

this is the error message.

your pc/device needs to be repaired

the boot configuration data for your pc is missing or contains errors.

file:\efi\microsoft:\boot:\bcd

error code:0xc0000034

youll need to use recovery tools. if you dont have any installation media like a disc or usb device, contact your pc administrator/device manufacturer
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    You should've gone straight to Argos and reject it for a full refund. You can still do this but you need to speak to Argos, not the manufacturer.
  • Leo2020
    Leo2020 Posts: 910 Forumite
    It might have been possible to repair it if you had a recovery disk. However as HP need parts it is fair to assume that even if you had tried to repair it with a recovery disk it would still have failed.

Have you spoken to Argos yet?
  • yes, i've messaged them and got this reply.

ubject: Purchase

Thank you for your email regarding Your store laptop purchase.Please return
    to store with your paperwork, and speak to the duty manager, who will advise
    you further.

Please accept my apologies for any inconcvenience caused

hp are returning the laptop unfixed as i said it was taking too long.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure