Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • francisbowles
    • By francisbowles 17th Mar 17, 11:09 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    francisbowles
    Recently retired and looking to open a cash sip.
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:09 AM
    Recently retired and looking to open a cash sip. 17th Mar 17 at 11:09 AM
    Hi Guys

New to this forum and my first thread.

I am 59 years old and took voluntary redundancy in September 2016. I elected not to invest any of this in my final salary pension which had been fully crystalised for over four years.

I had commenced drawing 40% of my pension, including 25% of this as a tax free lump sum, in May 2016 (and reduced my hours). At this point I didn't know there was going to be a voluntary severance.

I have been advised that I have gone over the annual allowance for the year 2016/17 but have allowance remaining from the previous years. I have calculated on gov.uk that I have 19,000 of unused allowance this year.

I am currently planning to take the remaining 60% of my pension, including 25% of this as a tax free lump sum, in August 2017 when I will be 60 but I can defer this.

So firstly, am I eligible to open a SIP with 2880 this tax year and gain tax relief on 25% of 3600 next.

Secondly, can I benefit from paying in a larger amount this tax year and withdrawing next as I was employed for six months.

I had sufficient savings before the severance to demonstrate that I am not recycling pension money.

I am happy to provide all necessary figures if needed to calculate whether there may be eligibility.

Thanks
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,140Posts Today

6,318Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin