Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AliceBanned
    • By AliceBanned 17th Mar 17, 9:59 AM
    • 2,261Posts
    • 1,044Thanks
    AliceBanned
    Aqua late payment
    • 17th Mar 17, 9:59 AM
    Aqua late payment 17th Mar 17 at 9:59 AM
    I set up a direct debit to pay the minimum on my new Aqua card. The card was opened on 1st Feb. Somehow the direct debit wasn't there in time for the first payment. I know this can happen but I thought I was on top of everything. I've been off sick earlier this week with flu which didn't help. These things happen and I have quite a few cards and loans which I'm paying off so it's stressful enough.

Aqua phoned me at work yesterday and my colleague took a message as I was just coming back to my desk. She said out loud 'Aqua' is on the phone but didn't put me through. It's a bit embarrassing. Anyway later that day I got a text to say that my minimum payment had not been paid. I made an online payment of £20 (min payment £5). I only have about £200 on this card so it is not big deal but I have lost the 0% deal (only 4 months anyway) because of this. The interest rate has gone up to 34%.

I was going to use it help me pay off my overdraft ie 0% spending so I can use it for rail fares etc but I'm not too bothered. I'm just annoyed that for the first payment being late by mistake, and when I paid straight away as soon as I knew something was wrong, they can't be a bit more reasonable.

I've closed the account, am going to pay it off and would never go back to them. hopefully I won't be so desperate in the future that I need them anyway.
    DFW - goal December 2018
    Bank of mum and dad: £1600. Debt at LBM: £14,418. Current: £10,873 Total debt repayment: £700pm
    'If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.' (Maya Angelou).
    • By Nasqueron 17th Mar 17, 11:44 AM
    • 3,978 Posts
    • 2,193 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:44 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:44 AM
    FWIW if you make a single mistake and speak to them nicely they may agree to reinstate the 0% deal if it's the first time

The terms and conditions you signed would have stated they reserved the right to cancel the 0% deal if you were late however
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 17th Mar 17, 2:27 PM
    • 5,880 Posts
    • 7,093 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:27 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:27 PM
    On what document have they said they will collect the first payment by direct debit?

I'm guessing none.
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 17th Mar 17, 2:36 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    StopIt
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:36 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:36 PM
    On what document have they said they will collect the first payment by direct debit?

I'm guessing none.
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters

To be fair, sometimes the first DirectDebit can be later than anticipated.

I set up a DirectDebit for PayPal for a 0% purchase, paid that months payment and the App told me the next month would be taken by DD. This was 6 weeks notice which is usually more than enough for a DD mandate to work.

I checked the day of the DD and it didn't come out so I made a payment to cover it and called PayPal who said they had been having troubles and that the DD may be delayed for a month. I also got an e-mail 3 days later saying I had a late payment charge. Cue another call where I was told this was in error and as they could see a payment made on the due date that I had made up for the DD going wrong anyway.

The DD started the month after and I made sure to pay the balance before the 0% ran out. It's the only time I've had an issue with DD but it shows it does happen with no fault other than a computer glitch.
    • AliceBanned
    • By AliceBanned 18th Mar 17, 5:55 PM
    • 2,261 Posts
    • 1,044 Thanks
    AliceBanned
    • 18th Mar 17, 5:55 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 5:55 PM
    Exactly - for the first one they could make an exception in cases where the DD was set up in plenty of time but didn't take effect. It's clearly a simple mistake.

Anyway I've cancelled it as I don't see any point arguing with them. There are more reasonable companies out there.
    DFW - goal December 2018
    Bank of mum and dad: £1600. Debt at LBM: £14,418. Current: £10,873 Total debt repayment: £700pm
    'If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.' (Maya Angelou).
    • By AliceBanned 18th Mar 17, 5:57 PM
    • 2,261 Posts
    • 1,044 Thanks
    AliceBanned
    • 18th Mar 17, 5:57 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 5:57 PM

I'm guessing none.
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters

I wasn't saying that's what they said. I'm saying I set it up that way to cover myself so how could I have known it wouldn't work? It is slow systems. I would have known to pay if I hadn't set up the DD. The fact that I had in plenty of time should have meant that the minimum payment was made. When I saw that it wasn't I made the payment straight away and phoned them. If that's not enough then I think they are unreasonable.
    DFW - goal December 2018
    • By Shakin Steve 18th Mar 17, 7:59 PM
    • 610 Posts
    • 422 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 18th Mar 17, 7:59 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 7:59 PM
    I only use two banks, Barclays and Tesco. Both of them text and email me whenever a direct debit or a standing order is set up or cancelled.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • john2054
    • By john2054 26th Mar 17, 4:15 AM
    • 54 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    john2054
    • 26th Mar 17, 4:15 AM
    • 26th Mar 17, 4:15 AM
    You shouldn't have cancelled the card Alice. The fact that the payment was made late, shouldn't really have affected anything, other than possibly your interest rate. But the fact that you have opened and closed an account, in quick succession, will leave a negative footprint. I can tell you this from personal experience!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,774Posts Today

8,243Users online

Martin's Twitter