Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • islandman
    • By islandman 17th Mar 17, 10:53 AM
    • 3,986Posts
    • 1,698Thanks
    islandman
    Electricity usage
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:53 AM
    Electricity usage 17th Mar 17 at 10:53 AM
    A friend of mine has a gift shop leased from a landlord who owns the building which is mainly flats. Yesterday at 4pm he read the electricity meter which was 267827 today at 9am the meter registered 267849 an increase of 22. Is this units or kg's. The only appliance running was a freezer. I would appreciate feedback please.
    Last edited by islandman; 17-03-2017 at 11:03 AM.
    Bowel screening saved my life, make sure it saves yours.
Page 1
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 17th Mar 17, 11:02 AM
    • 26,479 Posts
    • 12,739 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:02 AM
    It will be 26782.7 to 26784.9 thus an increase of 2.2kWh(units) not 22kWh! a cost of around 30p.

What type size of freezer? 2.2kWh in 17 hours is too high for a domestic freezer and would indicate something wrong - a faulty seal perhaps?
    Last edited by Cardew; 17-03-2017 at 11:06 AM.
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 17th Mar 17, 11:02 AM
    • 5,755 Posts
    • 4,956 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    Hi,

are you sure that it's a '6 dial' meter, or should it be 26784 . 9, you don't use the number after the point or red numbers.

Meters are in kwh's.

Y'all take care now.
  • E.ON Company Representative: Helena
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:14 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:14 AM
    A friend of mine has a gift shop leased from a landlord who owns the building which is mainly flats. Yesterday at 4pm he read the electricity meter which was 267827 today at 9am the meter registered 267849 an increase of 22. Is this units or kg's. The only appliance running was a freezer. The landlord refuses to give access to the eon bill. I would appreciate feedback please.
    Originally posted by islandman
    Morning islandman,

Thanks Cardew,

Just aside from the meter reads as I agree, it's most likely a 5 dial meter.

I understand the landlord won't let your friend see the actual bills. Are the bills in the name of the landlord? Do they send your friend a bill for the energy used?

I'm sure I can help a bit with a bit more info.

Thank you

Helena
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • islandman
    • By islandman 17th Mar 17, 11:29 AM
    • 3,986 Posts
    • 1,698 Thanks
    islandman
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:29 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:29 AM
    Thanks Helena, will try and assist with more info but am on phone. I will include photo in a min.
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:31 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:31 AM
    Thanks Helena, will try and assist with more info but am on phone. I will include photo in a min.
    Super, thanks
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • islandman
    • By islandman 17th Mar 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,986 Posts
    • 1,698 Thanks
    islandman
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:34 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:34 AM
    Super, thanks
    Originally posted by E.ON Company Representative: Helena
    I don't know how to place photos in this thread via phone but will when I am home, is that ok
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:35 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:35 AM
    I don't know how to place photos in this thread via phone but will when I am home, is that ok
    Of course, that's fine.

I can then see the meter, so can confirm it's a 5 dial.

Thank you.

Helena
    • islandman
    • By islandman 17th Mar 17, 1:54 PM
    • 3,986 Posts
    • 1,698 Thanks
    islandman
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:54 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:54 PM
    Helena, thanks for being patient, although old, I am able to do many things via the net, but everything, this is the photo of my friends meter showing the reading. Since I started this thread, it now emerges that the landlady receives the bill from eon and she proportions what she thinks is appropriate to the long term flat lets and his shop and issues each with a typewritten invoice.
    https://s29.postimg.org/73rfssybr/IMG_1074.jpg
    Helena, thanks for being patient, although old, I am able to do many things via the net, but everything, this is the photo of my friends meter showing the reading. Since I started this thread, it now emerges that the landlady receives the bill from eon and she proportions what she thinks is appropriate to the long term flat lets and his shop and issues each with a typewritten invoice.
    https://s29.postimg.org/73rfssybr/IMG_1074.jpg
    Hiya, no problem at all,

Looks like you're doing well to me

That's interesting about the bills, sounds like there's maybe only one meter for the whole building including the shop?

I can't see the picture for some reason, but I'll ask Malc if he can.

I'll post back in a mo.

ETA, Malc can't see the picture either, is there 5 numbers then a decimal point, then another number?

Helena
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 17th Mar 17, 2:06 PM
    • 5,755 Posts
    • 4,956 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    Hi,

here's the pic,

oh boy, that's a 3 phase meter, and has low and normal, odd set up.
    Last edited by frugalmacdugal; 17-03-2017 at 2:09 PM.
    Y'all take care now.
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 17th Mar 17, 2:08 PM
    • 5,755 Posts
    • 4,956 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    Hi,

and it is '6 dial'.
    Last edited by frugalmacdugal; 17-03-2017 at 2:12 PM.
    Y'all take care now.
    Thank you,

I'm thinking it going to best to get your friend in touch with the business department, so they can look in to it properly.

They also need to establish what's going on with the bills, Business accounts aren't something I do, so I don't want to say the wrong thing.

Your friend can email me at WebForumAdvisors@eonenergy.com and I'll be more than happy to help.

Thank you

Helena
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 17th Mar 17, 2:22 PM
    • 5,755 Posts
    • 4,956 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    Hi,

Helena, I think you could be right, just the one meter for all properties, that could mean that it is on a business/commercial rate, which means high bills for the flats.
    Y'all take care now.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 17th Mar 17, 2:26 PM
    • 3,547 Posts
    • 1,898 Thanks
    Hengus
    Hi,

Helena, I think you could be right, just the one meter for all properties, that could mean that it is on a business/commercial rate, which means high bills for the flats.
    Originally posted by frugalmacdugal
    And 20% VAT me thinks...
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 17th Mar 17, 2:30 PM
    • 5,755 Posts
    • 4,956 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    Hi,

islandman, that meter has two readings, low and normal, sometimes called night and day, in a house set up it would be called Economy 7 (E7), used in houses with electric storage heaters.
    Y'all take care now.
    • islandman
    • By islandman 17th Mar 17, 2:33 PM
    • 3,986 Posts
    • 1,698 Thanks
    islandman
    My friend has had the opportunity to speak to one of the residents of the flats and they each have coin operated meters for the own usage.

Next, Helena, EON won't speak to my friend and he isn't the account holder, but whilst he is talking to me (via phone) I have re-read your post and see the link you give is for access to YOU by email, so will ensure he does just that. I will PM you his and his partners name. Oh, I can't you have no facility to be PM'sgd.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 17th Mar 17, 2:38 PM
    • 26,479 Posts
    • 12,739 Thanks
    Cardew
    Hi,

Originally posted by frugalmacdugal
    Also that would mean 20% VAT for the Flats(should be 5%).
    • islandman
    • By islandman 17th Mar 17, 2:43 PM
    • 3,986 Posts
    • 1,698 Thanks
    islandman
    Can I just add, that the last quarter, he was charged £700, which equates to £233 per month and during the winter, they are closed some of the time and when trading, it's about 9.30am till 3,00pm so short days. Lights and one freezer.
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 17th Mar 17, 2:43 PM
    • 5,755 Posts
    • 4,956 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    Hi,

My friend has had the opportunity to speak to one of the residents of the flats and they each have coin operated meters for the own usage.
    Also that would mean 20% VAT for the Flats(should be 5%).
    Originally posted by Cardew
    flats are on coin meters, but landlord could still have them set to collect at commercial rates.
    Y'all take care now.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

149Posts Today

1,664Users online

Martin's Twitter