Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dazzaofdagenham
    • By dazzaofdagenham 17th Mar 17, 10:16 AM
    • 1,046Posts
    • 359Thanks
    dazzaofdagenham
    3 feel at home....coverage ??
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:16 AM
    3 feel at home....coverage ?? 17th Mar 17 at 10:16 AM
    My daughter (13) has a talk mobile sim only contract.

She's going away for a week soon as part of the 'guides' she does to Switzerland.
    I know this is part of '3' feel at home destination. Is there any coverage maps as for where this coverage is ?

Thanks
Page 1
    • Buzby
    • By Buzby 17th Mar 17, 10:26 AM
    • 8,128 Posts
    • 2,980 Thanks
    Buzby
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:26 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:26 AM
    It depends on the Swiss network 3 uses (and this can change). The downside is if this network doesn't provide coverage in the area she's in, her phone will not switch to one that does (normal roaming).
    • Atasas
    • By Atasas 17th Mar 17, 11:32 AM
    • 627 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    Atasas
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:32 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:32 AM

She's going away for a week soon as part of the 'guides' she does to Switzerland.
    I know this is part of '3' feel at home destination. Is there any coverage maps as for where this coverage is ?

Thanks
    Originally posted by dazzaofdagenham
    Even got me confused on that one...

In short TM uses VodaFlunks network, their roaming charges are OK abroad, CH is group 1 Europe for all the calls and roaming
    https://talkmobile.co.uk/roam-charges
    • d123
    • By d123 17th Mar 17, 1:06 PM
    • 6,688 Posts
    • 4,265 Thanks
    d123
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:06 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:06 PM
    Even got me confused on that one...

In short TM uses VodaFlunks network, their roaming charges are OK abroad, CH is group 1 Europe for all the calls and roaming
    https://talkmobile.co.uk/roam-charges
    Originally posted by Atasas
    Doesn't seem that confusing, the OP is probably considering using a 3 PAYG sim for the trip.
    ====
    • Atasas
    • By Atasas 17th Mar 17, 3:42 PM
    • 627 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    Atasas
    • 17th Mar 17, 3:42 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 3:42 PM
    Doesn't seem that confusing, the OP is probably considering using a 3 PAYG sim for the trip.
    Originally posted by d123
    Makes sense now
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 17th Mar 17, 3:51 PM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 597 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 17th Mar 17, 3:51 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 3:51 PM

Thanks
    I don't know about Switzerland, but in Spain (one of Three's original feel at home countries) it worked quite well. My guess is that it will be OK. We could manually select other networks while roaming at one time (for no additional charge), but last October that didn't seem to work as the phone wouldn't affiliate to another network.

Data is very variable. Out in rural areas the data rate can be really good, but in large towns virtually a trickle. Ordinary calls and text messages (including pictures send via iMessage, an iPhone data service) were OK, although pictures sometimes took a while to send.

Don't forget that if you use Three, the phone will need unlocking (assuming it is network locked) and will also need to be a 3G phone. On PAYG with Three, you have to convert a top up into a "bundle" in order to use feel at home. Details on their web site or in a Three shop. I have a couple of SIM only contracts with Three, so have no direct experience of PAYG.

On Three you do not get local calls as part of feel at home roaming, any calls made to Swiss numbers would be an additional cost.

By the way, Talkmobile seem a bit hopeless for roaming, even on contract!
    • dazzaofdagenham
    • By dazzaofdagenham 17th Mar 17, 4:17 PM
    • 1,046 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    dazzaofdagenham
    • 17th Mar 17, 4:17 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 4:17 PM
    Yes sorry.....wasn't going to allow her to take her normal SIM with her....so thinking of buying a 3. SIM and putting the required 20 quid on it for her 10 day trip....
    • dazzaofdagenham
    • By dazzaofdagenham 17th Mar 17, 4:48 PM
    • 1,046 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    dazzaofdagenham
    • 17th Mar 17, 4:48 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 4:48 PM
    I don't know about Switzerland, but in Spain (one of Three's original feel at home countries) it worked quite well. My guess is that it will be OK. We could manually select other networks while roaming at one time (for no additional charge), but last October that didn't seem to work as the phone wouldn't affiliate to another network.

Data is very variable. Out in rural areas the data rate can be really good, but in large towns virtually a trickle. Ordinary calls and text messages (including pictures send via iMessage, an iPhone data service) were OK, although pictures sometimes took a while to send.

Don't forget that if you use Three, the phone will need unlocking (assuming it is network locked) and will also need to be a 3G phone. On PAYG with Three, you have to convert a top up into a "bundle" in order to use feel at home. Details on their web site or in a Three shop. I have a couple of SIM only contracts with Three, so have no direct experience of PAYG.

On Three you do not get local calls as part of feel at home roaming, any calls made to Swiss numbers would be an additional cost.

By the way, Talkmobile seem a bit hopeless for roaming, even on contract!
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north
    Yes the phone is unlocked....a iPhone 6s from the apple shop.

Just interested in the calls and texts really....don't suppose enough bandwidth for FaceTime or FB messenger video..
    • dazzaofdagenham
    • By dazzaofdagenham 17th Mar 17, 4:52 PM
    • 1,046 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    dazzaofdagenham
    • 17th Mar 17, 4:52 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 4:52 PM
    Just been on 3 website.

20 quid gets me 3000 texts.300 mins and 12gb of data. Then says feel at home addin is required....

So is feel at home a extra charge. ?

Sorry for questions....
    Trying to avoid..
    1... Letting her take talk mobile sim....no big bills

Thanks
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 17th Mar 17, 5:00 PM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 597 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    Yes the phone is unlocked....a iPhone 6s from the apple shop.
    Try the Maps.me app, it's totally free and without adverts. The maps are all free too, and for some countries has mapping to villa boundaries, pool outlines, individual trees, etc. You download the maps at home (via WiFi) and use them without needing a data connection in the country visited. You don't need to download Gigabytes of maps, just the area you need. Works great on our iPhones (SE models with 64GB of ram).

Something for nothing
    • Jon 01
    • By Jon 01 17th Mar 17, 6:32 PM
    • 4,943 Posts
    • 1,565 Thanks
    Jon 01
    Just been on 3 website.

20 quid gets me 3000 texts.300 mins and 12gb of data. Then says feel at home addin is required....

Thanks
    It's a free service, just top up and go. I've used 3 in the US many times, buying the sim one day and traveling the next.
    • d123
    • By d123 17th Mar 17, 8:00 PM
    • 6,688 Posts
    • 4,265 Thanks
    d123
    Just been on 3 website.

Sorry for questions....
    Trying to avoid..
    1... Letting her take talk mobile sim....no big bills

Thanks
    Just top it up and add the add on before she goes, that's all that is required.
    ====
    • dazzaofdagenham
    • By dazzaofdagenham 17th Mar 17, 8:21 PM
    • 1,046 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    dazzaofdagenham
    Just top it up and add the add on before she goes, that's all that is required.
    So the add on is free?
    • d123
    • By d123 17th Mar 17, 11:35 PM
    • 6,688 Posts
    • 4,265 Thanks
    d123
    So the add on is free?
    No, the add on is whatever cost you choose 10/20/25, for example the one you mention above, All in One 20 is £20 and gives 300min/3000text/12GB for 30 days.

So you get the sim, top up £20 and then use the £20 credit to pay for the All in One add on which lasts for 30 days and works in Feel at Home countries.

http://www.three.co.uk/Support/pay_as_you_go/Phone_tariffs
    ====
    • Atasas
    • By Atasas 17th Mar 17, 11:43 PM
    • 627 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    Atasas
    For a 10 day visit, having a spending cap and roaming allowed(need to call them) wouldn't cost the same £20. Also most hotels and student hostels have free wi-fi, for facetime etc with either network SIM
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 18th Mar 17, 8:59 AM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 597 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    Talk Mobile charge for incoming calls while roaming in Switzerland, Three don't, or at least under feel at home they don't. Check Three's T&Cs for roaming charges on PAYG, if in doubt ring Three and ask.

A pre-arranged daily call from home (to the Three mobile) could be a low cost option. The ordinary PAYG SIM tariff from Three, without conversion to a 30 day bundle, doesn't expire. The cost of making UK calls in the U.K. is one of the best value networks at 3p per min, 2p per text.

We phone friends in Spain who use a dual SIM phone, they have a local SIM and a UK O2 PAYG SIM. There is no charge on O2 to receive calls roaming in Spain and we have a lot of minutes, so we call them, no extra cost to either party.

It's a bit of a game, but with a little planning costs can be kept very low.
    • merchcon55
    • By merchcon55 18th Mar 17, 10:01 AM
    • 51 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    merchcon55
    Best way to use PAYG 3 SIM for Feel at Home:

Top up with only £5 - which is the minimum top up. This automatically will add 150mB of data for free to your account.

You do not need to add any bundle.

When making a call, the per minute amount (5p I think) will come out of the £5. Same for texts (i think it's 2p).

But if your daughter wants to call you, let her either text you first, or make a quick call - and then you call her back - as it is FREE TO RECEIVE CALLS.

There will no doubt be lots of cafes and other places where free WIFI will be available - she could download SKYPE or use FACETIME to call you.

You could log in online each day to see her balance - and if it did get say under £1, you could top up £5 online - which by the way, would add another 150mB of data for free.

Note the "free data" is used up first - once that is finished, you then start to pay for data.
    • PHK
    • By PHK 18th Mar 17, 10:15 AM
    • 48 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    PHK
    Don't you need to have an "add-on" in order to get Feel at Home?
    • virgo17
    • By virgo17 18th Mar 17, 12:09 PM
    • 665 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    virgo17
    Don't you need to have an "add-on" in order to get Feel at Home?
    Originally posted by PHK
    Yes you do.

We visit Spain a lot and my wife and I both have 3 PAYG. She has credit but has not purchased an add-on and does not get Feel at Home. I have purchased the £5 data bundle and do get Feel at Home for the duration of the bundle.

Word of warning though. After two consecutive months in Spain using Feel at Home the SIM card stops working. It can see the networks but will not roam. To make it roam again you need to return to the UK, where it still works and top up again. This seemed to reset the process, at least in my case.

A better option is to get another 3 SIM and use that for Feel at Home until they switch off roaming and then throw it away.

YMMV.
    • d123
    • By d123 18th Mar 17, 12:10 PM
    • 6,688 Posts
    • 4,265 Thanks
    d123
    For a 10 day visit, having a spending cap and roaming allowed(need to call them) wouldn't cost the same £20. Also most hotels and student hostels have free wi-fi, for facetime etc with either network SIM
    Originally posted by Atasas
    I'm presuming you aren't a teenager or weren't ever a teenager with a mobile phone? Or ever had experience of having a teenager with a mobile phone?
    ====
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

72Posts Today

3,070Users online

Martin's Twitter