Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BackonTheMarket75
    • By BackonTheMarket75 17th Mar 17, 10:15 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    BackonTheMarket75
    Can I Part Exchange my buy to let property?
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:15 AM
    Can I Part Exchange my buy to let property? 17th Mar 17 at 10:15 AM
    Hi. I bought a flat on my own way back in 2006 JUST before the market crashed. It immediately went into negative equity. When I met my husband I moved out of it and rented it out through an agent and the mortgage was changed to buy to let.
    I have since split with my husband and am living in a rented house as the 1 bed flat is no longer a viable option for me to live in. The current value JUST covers the remaining balance on the mortgage. It is the only property in my name. Am I able to part exchange it for a new build house??
    Any advice would be appreciated- thank you
Page 1
    • caprikid1
    • By caprikid1 17th Mar 17, 10:25 AM
    • 458 Posts
    • 473 Thanks
    caprikid1
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:25 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:25 AM
    I guess the only people who would tell you are the builders in question. I suspect they might view it in negative equity though. Do you have a deposit etc , Money for Fee's ? I suspect most builders are expecting some kind of equity these days.
    • Bigrachel
    • By Bigrachel 17th Mar 17, 10:35 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Bigrachel
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:35 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:35 AM
    Unfortunately I think you will need a deposit and relevant fees etc.. If the value only just covers the remaining balance you probably won't have enough equity to put towards a new build. Don't fret though, you can get help if you're buying a new build!
    • dimbo61
    • By dimbo61 17th Mar 17, 1:22 PM
    • 9,456 Posts
    • 5,124 Thanks
    dimbo61
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:22 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:22 PM
    With the costs and changes to tax for landlords could you consider trying to sell now and see if you have something out of the sale to help with your deposit
    • G_M
    • By G_M 17th Mar 17, 1:43 PM
    • 41,081 Posts
    • 47,195 Thanks
    G_M
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:43 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:43 PM
    I doubt a builder would accept a property in Part Exchange unless it came with vacant possession. So you'd need end the tenancy first. Do you know how?

The good news is that it's unlikely you'll have to pay Capital Gains Tax when you sell, if the value has not increased more than £11K.
    • BackonTheMarket75
    • By BackonTheMarket75 18th Mar 17, 4:25 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    BackonTheMarket75
    • 18th Mar 17, 4:25 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 4:25 PM
    Yes I think that trying to sell it now is probably my only option. It's just a shame I've owned it for so long and will see no benefit from it
    • samspam
    • By samspam 19th Mar 17, 12:00 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    samspam
    • 19th Mar 17, 12:00 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 12:00 PM
    I sell new builds and do part exchange. Firstly there needs to be a 30% differential in what you are selling and buying. i.e if your house is worth £100,000 you need to be buying at £130,000 or above. However part exchange valuations are based on 4-6 week sale prices which are lower than the marketing price an EA will give you to get your house on their books.
    My advice, get an EA valuation and also ask for a quick sale price.
    Speak to a mortgage advisor and see how much you can borrow.
    If part exchanging isn't possible, most builders offer assisted move type schemes where instead of buying your house in, they let you reserve a house whilst they market yours through an agent and pay your agents fees. However they will still want to market at a quick sale price.
    Hope that helps and yes it will need to be sold with vacant possession x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

510Posts Today

4,645Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin