Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Stellaah
    • By Stellaah 17th Mar 17, 9:22 AM
    • 12Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Stellaah
    How can I raise £20,000?
    • 17th Mar 17, 9:22 AM
    How can I raise £20,000? 17th Mar 17 at 9:22 AM
    Hello everybody,

I'm hoping someone might be able to help.

I recently moved to rural Cornwall and bought a property that needs a lot of work. I would like to raise £20,000-£30,000 to enable me to do the work. I don't have a mortgage and the property value is approx. £450,000. In moving I have also started working on a self-employed basis so don't have three years of accounts to show to a lender. (Nor a strong enough income in these early stages but an income that is steadily improving.)

How can I raise the money with the collateral I have? As I have no children would embarking on an equity release agreement be a sensible option? I am not planning on moving again and am 56 years old. Unfortunately I don't have a pension I can tap into. My partner has a good pension of £80,000 but is only 52 so can't access it.

Very much appreciate any help/guidance anyone can give.

Thanks very much for reading this.
Page 2
    • Stellaah
    • By Stellaah 17th Mar 17, 6:43 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Stellaah
    Hi Shakin Steve,

Our businesses are too young to enable us to secure a mortgage against. Ideally, yes I would much prefer that and have the loan paid off sooner rather than later.
    • 27cool
    • By 27cool 18th Mar 17, 10:41 AM
    • 249 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    27cool
    You might be mortgage free, but you will certainly not be debt free if you have to borrow to refurbish the property. It seems to me that it would be sensible to get a small mortgage to cover what you want to do.
    Presumably, that's what a mortgage is. A loan against the collateral of a property.
    If there is a minimum amount for a mortgage you could always pay it back as early as they will allow.
    Last edited by 27cool; 18-03-2017 at 10:44 AM.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 18th Mar 17, 11:55 AM
    • 1,129 Posts
    • 841 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    A mortgage broker would be my first port of call, at least you'll then know whether that avenue is open to you or not.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • Stellaah
    • By Stellaah 18th Mar 17, 1:25 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Stellaah
    Thanks Shakin Steve,

Yes, that does make sense. Thanks for taking the time to help.

Thanks 27cool too.
    • MoneySaver123
    • By MoneySaver123 23rd Mar 17, 10:08 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    MoneySaver123
    Forgive me but could you not just take out a secured loan against the property? Find one that's flexible and allows early repayment without fees...
    • Stellaah
    • By Stellaah 23rd Mar 17, 11:47 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Stellaah
    Thanks Moneysaver 123, the problem with the loan is having new self-employed businesses without the required three years of accounts. It looks like the credit card option is the best bet and balance transferring to a 0% card. Thanks for posting.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

502Posts Today

4,143Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin