Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • soolin
    • By soolin 17th Mar 17, 8:47 AM
    • 58,869Posts
    • 41,697Thanks
    soolin
    strange semi official ebay statement
    • 17th Mar 17, 8:47 AM
    strange semi official ebay statement 17th Mar 17 at 8:47 AM
    I'm not cut and pasting as I'm sure it breaches ebay etiquette but anyone who is a powerseller, go and take a look on the PS community board. Find the thread 'Re: Shop Fee Increase - Cause for concern?... '

In that thread a pink (or blue or whatever they are called now) has stated that business registration on ebay is entirely a matter for the seller to opt for based on their business model and that for many opening a new private account and selling there instead may well be the cheaper option! They actually have suggested that it is an acceptable action to opt to sell privately to save fees. They do however go on to say that for most businesses the many ebay perks for selling as a business may well outweigh any monetary gain. (although most sellers were unsure of any business perks we get!)

The sellers are of course confused and somewhat alarmed by this and have asked for clarification as this breaches both ebay rules and UK law. As usual though the pinks never ever come back to explain.

Whilst it is obviously a personal statement made by a rogue CS rep (who is probably being retrained as we speak) It illustrates the issue that many of us have, in that CS don't seem to actually have any knowledge of ebay at all . Anyone of us who has used ebay for any length of time know about the requirements for using a business v private account, the rules are there in black and white even with examples of what constitutes a business. It shows how badly ebay are currently running if they employ people to respond formally on threads who do not have a working knowledge of ebay or UK law.

For any newbies reading this, don't be tempted to follow the advice to open a private account to trade as a business, although it seems ebay don't really care, it is too big a risk if you are spending money on stock and 'branding'.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
Page 1
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 17th Mar 17, 8:55 AM
    • 3,025 Posts
    • 1,761 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 17th Mar 17, 8:55 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 8:55 AM
    Maybe... That eBay customer service rep...

said....

Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 17th Mar 17, 9:00 AM
    • 10,594 Posts
    • 7,109 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 17th Mar 17, 9:00 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 9:00 AM
    She made that comment or statement, whatever they deem it to be and that has been her last post. 10th March, so it's feasible she has gone on holiday, but it was a completely outrageous and stupid comment to make.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 17th Mar 17, 9:49 AM
    • 58,869 Posts
    • 41,697 Thanks
    soolin
    • 17th Mar 17, 9:49 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 9:49 AM
    She made that comment or statement, whatever they deem it to be and that has been her last post. 10th March, so it's feasible she has gone on holiday, but it was a completely outrageous and stupid comment to make.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    I agree and regardless of the point she was making, to me it shows the complete lack of respect that ebay have for their sellers. The statement is obviously wrong, yet not one pink has come back to clarify or to apologise for the rubbish advice.

As soon as one newbie business seller takes that advice and opens a new private account and moves their stuff across I suspect their account will be in danger, but do ebay care - even when that seller might be acting on ebay advice? Will they show leniency on the basis 'ebay told me it was OK?' - I would lay good money that ebay won't care and will just refer them back to the rules and suspend them.

On the other hand I have a lovely clear new private account, about 3 years old, all restrictions lifted, a couple of hundred feedback and never used. I am a worrier and ebay already hate me so would not risk making that my new business account, but I could see that many sellers would be tempted as that account has 100 free listings a day and gets regular low FVF offers.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 17th Mar 17, 2:13 PM
    • 6,582 Posts
    • 29,650 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:13 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:13 PM
    eBay are actively encouraging private sellers by giving them 100 free listings a day. What private seller needs that amount ? I have three eBay business accounts and would struggle to list that much stuff

I am getting sick of eBay favouring private sellers. It's about time they looked after business sellers who pay them hundreds of £s a month to use what is increasingly a slow, glitchy site.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
    • soolin
    • By soolin 17th Mar 17, 2:18 PM
    • 58,869 Posts
    • 41,697 Thanks
    soolin
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:18 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:18 PM
    eBay are actively encouraging private sellers by giving them 100 free listings a day. What private seller needs that amount ? I have three eBay business accounts and would struggle to list that much stuff

I am getting sick of eBay favouring private sellers. It's about time they looked after business sellers who pay them hundreds of £s a month to use what is increasingly a slow, glitchy site.
    Originally posted by charlies_mum
    A seller on the boards posted a link which he had to remove, to a 'private' seller with 1700 live listings virtually all brand new items and whose listings contained details of their business. The business seller got a slap for posting user Ids but the private seller is now running at almost 2500 items.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 17th Mar 17, 2:22 PM
    • 10,594 Posts
    • 7,109 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:22 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:22 PM
    When the increases come, wasn't it 48% increase (from memory on the boards) I can see people opting to try this new and approved method of selling via a private account.
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 17th Mar 17, 2:23 PM
    • 6,582 Posts
    • 29,650 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:23 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:23 PM
    Disgusting, but who can blame them when eBay let them get away with it.

I am coming to the conclusion that I'm an idiot playing by the rules.

There's another thread on the boards about a buyer who has opened 34 INR claims with another 4 pending and eBay don't seem to be doing anything about it !

All trust or respect I had for eBay has gone and if anyone set up an alternative I'd be off like a shot.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 17th Mar 17, 2:31 PM
    • 58,869 Posts
    • 41,697 Thanks
    soolin
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:31 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:31 PM
    Disgusting, but who can blame them when eBay let them get away with it.

I am coming to the conclusion that I'm an idiot playing by the rules.

There's another thread on the boards about a buyer who has opened 34 INR claims with another 4 pending and eBay don't seem to be doing anything about it !

All trust or respect I had for eBay has gone and if anyone set up an alternative I'd be off like a shot.
    I was really happy earlier in the week as my sales were really increasing but now I'm despondent . I'm even giving Shpock a try, that's how desperate I am to get things moving again.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 17th Mar 17, 2:35 PM
    • 6,582 Posts
    • 29,650 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    Well this is our living now and today it's looking like Adi beans for dinner
    • soolin
    • By soolin 17th Mar 17, 3:33 PM
    • 58,869 Posts
    • 41,697 Thanks
    soolin
    Well this is our living now and today it's looking like Adi beans for dinner
    Gosh pushing the boat out there charlies_mum...

Wish me luck I am trying to list a whole new load of stock here as I've spent almost £300 on stock this week and need to get it listed..I have a bottle of prosecco in the fridge though ready for when I get fed up and want to phone ebay and rant at them!
    New to Forum? Guide
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 17th Mar 17, 3:43 PM
    • 4,636 Posts
    • 9,791 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    Why is it UK law that sellers use ebay business accounts?

It is law that they comply with trading rules re returns etc and that they complete a tax return, but why does it have to be a business account to so this?

From April hubby business will no longer have to complete tax returns if they sell under the threshold, what advantage would a business account be to them.
    Sealed pot challenge ~ 10 #017
    Declutter 2017 items in 2017 - 78/2017

• soolin
    • By soolin 17th Mar 17, 3:52 PM
    • 58,869 Posts
    • 41,697 Thanks
    soolin
    Why is it UK law that sellers use ebay business accounts?

It is law that they comply with trading rules re returns etc and that they complete a tax return, but why does it have to be a business account to so this?

From April hubby business will no longer have to complete tax returns if they sell under the threshold, what advantage would a business account be to them.
    Originally posted by iammumtoone
    It's all to do with misrepresentation , a person trading as a business should not hide that fact from a buyer as buyers rights differ depending on what type of seller they buy from.

Admittedly most prosecutions mentioned tend to be in the motor Vehicle trade with traders selling from their homes and masquerading as private when in fact they are running a business.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 17th Mar 17, 4:02 PM
    • 4,636 Posts
    • 9,791 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    It's all to do with misrepresentation , a person trading as a business should not hide that fact from a buyer as buyers rights differ depending on what type of seller they buy from.
    Originally posted by soolin
    Yes I understand that hence why a business seller under a non business account would have to sell cheaper to get the public to buy as their rights will be easier to force with a business account.

But as long as the seller states in the description that they accept returns etc then I don't see why it couldn't be done. It would then be up to the buyer whether they trusted the seller or they could choose to purchase from a business seller.

Personally as a buyer I will always pick a business seller over a private one and am prepared to pay a bit more to do so. I don't think many business it will work for them under private accounts, but those thinking of starting a hobby business this year I think it is useful to have the choice.

• soolin
    • By soolin 17th Mar 17, 4:08 PM
    • 58,869 Posts
    • 41,697 Thanks
    soolin
    Yes I understand that hence why a business seller under a non business account would have to sell cheaper to get the public to buy as their rights will be easier to force with a business account.

But as long as the seller states in the description that they accept returns etc then I don't see why it couldn't be done. It would then be up to the buyer whether they trusted the seller or they could choose to purchase from a business seller.

Personally as a buyer I will always pick a business seller over a private one and am prepared to pay a bit more to do so. I don't think many business it will work for them under private accounts, but those thinking of starting a hobby business this year I think it is useful to have the choice.
    Sellers don't have a choice though any anyone relying on the comment made on the PS board is likely to face real issues as it is not inline with eBay's published rules and the terms and conditions we all agree to when we sign up.

That's really the point of this thread to show how poorly ebay staff understand their own rules.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • soolin
    • By soolin 17th Mar 17, 4:15 PM
    • 58,869 Posts
    • 41,697 Thanks
    soolin
    The ebay rules are covered briefly here:

https://ocsnext.ebay.co.uk/ocs/sc

Here's what we found for "Business selling on eBay"
    eBay business accounts are available to new and existing sellers. You should set up a business account if you:
    Sell items that you've bought to resell
    Make items yourself and sell them, intending to make a profit
    Sell a large volume of goods on a regular basis
    Buy items for your business
    You can change your personal eBay account or register a new business account.
    Business sellers must also adhere to!our User Agreement.

I have highlighted one requirement that is not in line with HMRC rules where volume is immaterial.

slightly more detail here:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/business/businessaccount.html

On a private account things like business address is not required.(which is a UK legal requirement)

As a business seller, you will need to provide additional details to the buyers in all your listings. Some of this information is mandatory from a legal perspective.
    In the EU, special ecommerce laws require business sellers, who sell items over the internet, to provide their customers with information about their identity in their contact information and contain further details that may be important to complete the transaction. You can display this information in all of your listings. Please see the contact information policy for options to include your contact information.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 17th Mar 17, 4:16 PM
    • 4,636 Posts
    • 9,791 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    Sellers don't have a choice though any anyone relying on the comment made on the PS board is likely to face real issues as it is not inline with eBay's published rules and the terms and conditions we all agree to when we sign up.

That's really the point of this thread to show how poorly ebay staff understand their own rules.
    Originally posted by soolin
    Yes I did think that under ebays rules all businesses must be under a business account and thats fine, their site they can set whatever rules they like.

It was the statement that UK law says sellers must have ebay business accounts that I was querying.

• soolin
    • By soolin 17th Mar 17, 5:05 PM
    • 58,869 Posts
    • 41,697 Thanks
    soolin
    Yes I did think that under ebays rules all businesses must be under a business account and thats fine, their site they can set whatever rules they like.

It was the statement that UK law says sellers must have ebay business accounts that I was querying.
    The law does not dictate what each individual site requires from a seller , it is up to a seller to make sure they are compliant. One of the legal requirements is to openly display contact details, ebay only apply this to sellers registered as a business. Other sites, like Amazon, apply it to all sellers and if you buy something from a marketplace seller you will be able to see their address.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • samkma
    • By samkma 17th Mar 17, 5:13 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    samkma
    Having a look at the PS boards it seems, both the ebay employees who responded to the thread did so on the same day and almost at the same time 5pm!
    eBay is going down at the moment and the Shop price increase is just to satisfy their shareholders, who just as sellers are very worried the way the site is being managed. The search "Cassini" is the killer - think they have rolled the same search to gumtree, the search does come up with things that have no connection wtih the search terms, they should have stuck with the old system. All improvements made are throwing up loads of glitches everyday, seems they have to shut the site for refurbishment and write the programme again instead of trying to patch things up, its proved not to be working for the last 2 years. Sellers are being pushed to the edge now.
    • TKPeters
    • By TKPeters 17th Mar 17, 8:47 PM
    • 1,811 Posts
    • 1,014 Thanks
    TKPeters
    I guess Kristen will be looking for a new job

thanks for your comments- there are a lot of additional benefits to being a business seller, such as access to more advanced tools, services and platform features. So while transactions stay on eBay either way, whether the seller is private or business, we find that many sellers decide when their business reaches a certain size, it makes sense to upgrade. They naturally want access to more ways to cross-sell, promote their items and and grow their sales on-site. We do our best to support business sellers to do this!
    Of course it's up to each individual seller whether it makes sense financially and otherwise to be a private seller, business seller, to have a shop, etc. Everyone's cost margins are different.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,417Posts Today

9,222Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin