Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bryando
    • By Bryando 17th Mar 17, 8:33 AM
    • 1,437Posts
    • 420Thanks
    Bryando
    Pay
    • 17th Mar 17, 8:33 AM
    Pay 17th Mar 17 at 8:33 AM
    Hi,

I have recently attended induction where I was shown around and had paperwork for a new job. Not a mention in the contract about induction being paid or unpaid. Can I legally expect paid for this?
Page 1
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 17th Mar 17, 11:25 AM
    • 4,467 Posts
    • 8,876 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:25 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:25 AM
    Hi,

I have recently attended induction where I was shown around and had paperwork for a new job. Not a mention in the contract about induction being paid or unpaid. Can I legally expect paid for this?
    Originally posted by Bryando
    Induction is usually paid. It has been at every job I've ever worked.

However, it's always best to ask.
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 17th Mar 17, 11:31 AM
    • 1,592 Posts
    • 2,385 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:31 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:31 AM
    If you went in for an hour to complete paperwork I would guess unpaid, If it was done during a normal work shift pattern then expect pay. I wouldn't make a fuss about it unless you incurred huge expenses or something.
    • Bryando
    • By Bryando 18th Mar 17, 2:08 PM
    • 1,437 Posts
    • 420 Thanks
    Bryando
    • 18th Mar 17, 2:08 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 2:08 PM
    The fuss would be giving my time for nothing as the company makes millions in profit! Will wait for my probation period to expire then write to the HR folk. Every induction I have been at was paid. But this no mention was made. Never thought about it until I was asked by family.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 18th Mar 17, 2:18 PM
    • 4,467 Posts
    • 8,876 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 18th Mar 17, 2:18 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 2:18 PM
    The fuss would be giving my time for nothing as the company makes millions in profit! Will wait for my probation period to expire then write to the HR folk. Every induction I have been at was paid. But this no mention was made. Never thought about it until I was asked by family.

well was it a pop in to fill in paperwork, provide documents, or was it a full day job shadowing?
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 18th Mar 17, 2:23 PM
    • 812 Posts
    • 1,717 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 18th Mar 17, 2:23 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 2:23 PM
    You have few legal rights until you have two years employment, your probationary period is largely irrelevant. If you're going to kick up a fuss keep in mind that could see you shown the door.
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 18th Mar 17, 4:46 PM
    • 2,681 Posts
    • 1,402 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 18th Mar 17, 4:46 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 4:46 PM
    Hi,

Industry could be factor.

I think I've mostly been paid (often worst case is reduced hours hence less pay then expected clearly) except a home Carer position for 5 days induction and first 3 shifts but I'll admit even that is going back some 5 years.

I second asking.
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 18th Mar 17, 5:15 PM
    • 3,577 Posts
    • 3,645 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 18th Mar 17, 5:15 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 5:15 PM
    So there is nothing so far to indicate that the induction time will not be paid? What's your problem? If you think you have been underpaid when you receive your first pay, that is the time to start complaining.
    If you're going into a job already assuming they are going to shaft you it's not a very good start.
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 18th Mar 17, 5:22 PM
    • 35,347 Posts
    • 45,487 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 18th Mar 17, 5:22 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 5:22 PM
    You need to wind your neck in a bit or you wont be gettingaid at all, you,ll be claimind dole money
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • anamenottaken
    • By anamenottaken 18th Mar 17, 8:28 PM
    • 3,922 Posts
    • 3,400 Thanks
    anamenottaken
    Hi,

Did the paperwork include your contract/written particulars of your employment? What does it say about your start date - before or after induction?
    • nimbo
    • By nimbo 18th Mar 17, 8:42 PM
    • 3,153 Posts
    • 8,785 Thanks
    nimbo
    I'd imagine it could partly be down to how long an induction.

I've been in to new work places before where it's been around 2 hours handing over paperwork and being shown round and introduced to other workers. I wasn't paid for this. Very informal session.

I've done a 2 week full time induction before and was paid.

My expectations personally would depend on the circumstances To a degree.

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 3 / 500
    • takman
    • By takman 20th Mar 17, 10:41 AM
    • 2,280 Posts
    • 1,894 Thanks
    takman

If your waiting till after your probation period so you can't easily be fired for kicking up a fuss then your going to have to wait until you have been there for two years. That's when your real employement rights kick in.

So making a complaint about a couple of hours missing pay from two years ago if going to look very strange...
    • dcouponzzzz
    • By dcouponzzzz 20th Mar 17, 11:50 AM
    • 389 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    dcouponzzzz
    Many companies that make millions per year do so because they trim the expenses well, in areas such as unpaid inductions. It has no bearing on whether you'll be paid for it, and the mindset of 'they have money so they must be generous with it' is a very immature one.
    Started 07/15. Car finance reduced £9.4k to £0 , Mortgage: 52.5k - Savings: £0
    • aife
    • By aife 20th Mar 17, 12:23 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    aife
    Industry could be factor.

I think I've mostly been paid (often worst case is reduced hours hence less pay then expected clearly) except a home Carer position for 5 days induction and first 3 shifts but I'll admit even that is going back some 5 years.

I second asking.
    Originally posted by keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    Am I reading this correctly ? You worked eight days without pay ?!! Who was the employer ?
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 20th Mar 17, 8:37 PM
    • 980 Posts
    • 960 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    I've always been paid for inductions because they have taken place after the official start date. Did you pop in prior to starting or was it after your official start date?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,347Posts Today

7,878Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A year of fighting to break the link between mental illness and money problems... https://t.co/LXgjxdv36O

• Today's twitter poll: Is Conservative pact with DUP necessary for stable govt during the crucial Brexit time, or should it've stayed alone?

• RT @thisismoney: First cash machine was used 50 years ago today: 50 facts you never knew about ATMs https://t.co/nh5kqb5Ml5

• Follow Martin