Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jarl69
    • By jarl69 17th Mar 17, 8:03 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jarl69
    online conveyancing ?
    • 17th Mar 17, 8:03 AM
    online conveyancing ? 17th Mar 17 at 8:03 AM
    Hello everyone,
    i have just agreed a sale price of 133400 for my freehold outright owned property. Has anyone had any dealings with online conveyancing solicitors ? thanks in anticipation of any replies
Page 1
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 17th Mar 17, 11:48 AM
    • 9,843 Posts
    • 12,487 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:48 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:48 AM
    The majority will recommend that you choose a local solicitor. Choose one you feel comfortable with - pop in or ring and compare a few. Online ones are often more of a conveyancing farm and you might not deal with the same person, or an actual qualified solicitor for the majority of the process. I'd usually get local recommendations too. Not advisable to use one linked to or associated with the EA.

If you are getting a mortgage on your purchase, they will need to be on your lender's panel.

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • Mrs36
    • By Mrs36 17th Mar 17, 12:06 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    Mrs36
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:06 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:06 PM
    I have just done a remortgage with an online conveyancer. Although they were not quite as bad as I was expecting, it was essentially a call centre. The timescales were acceptable, but it did require daily pushing to meet our deadlines and constant handholding.

If you have any option to use a local conveyancer I would go with that every time.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 17th Mar 17, 12:57 PM
    • 23,697 Posts
    • 89,668 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:57 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:57 PM
    I'm very glad I didn't go on-line. There were things that an on-line conveyancer wouldn't have picked up + other things that two people poring over the paperwork could ID more easily.....and they all needed sorting-out by the vendor prior to purchase.

Others had purchased the property without these errors and an unfair clause coming to light, so even using a poor 'real world' solicitor, or not exercising due diligence oneself, might lead to an issue later on.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • G_M
    • By G_M 17th Mar 17, 1:19 PM
    • 42,318 Posts
    • 49,159 Thanks
    G_M
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:19 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:19 PM
    Hello everyone,
    i have just agreed a sale price of 133400 for my freehold outright owned property. Has anyone had any dealings with online conveyancing solicitors ? thanks in anticipation of any replies
    Originally posted by jarl69
    If you are genuinely looking to be moneysaving, why not do the conveyancing yourself?

* freehold property - tick
    * no mortgage - tick
    * sale - tick

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Which-Guide-Conveyancing-Consumer-Guides/dp/085202813X

But if you don't fancy that, use a conveyancer you can visit if you need to.
    • Dawn248
    • By Dawn248 17th Mar 17, 1:36 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Dawn248
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:36 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:36 PM
    My worry with local firms is their quotes tend to be 'estimates' and then if there is any extra work needed I might be charged £195 per hour for a solicitor to sort it out. I'm buying a leasehold flat so I need to make sure the lease is problem free and don't want to spend a fortune on it.
    They also tend not to be 'No move, No fee' unlike the online forms or large brokers.
    I'm getting nowhere on my search for conveyancing so will be watching this thread for any tips!
    Sorry to hijack the thread OP. Hope you get sorted.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 17th Mar 17, 1:48 PM
    • 42,318 Posts
    • 49,159 Thanks
    G_M
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:48 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:48 PM
    Sorry Dawn - but..... rubbish!

You are far more likely to have to pay 'extras' on the final bill with a cheap online conveyancing outfit. That's one way they can give low quotes! Hidden charges in their T&Cs that are on top of the quote.

As long as you get a fixed price quote, and it includes all the relevant factors, there will be no extras from your high street solicitor.

So make sure his quote includes:

* dealing with the freeholder & lease
    * acting for the mortgage lender (check he's on their panel)
    * completing th SDLT form
    * providing the exact local authority. Although this disbursement charge will be the same whoever you use, without knowing the LA, the quote will always estimate this as different councils have different charges,
    etc

You can ask for a 'no move no fee' contract - some will agree (for an extra cost) some won't. Bear in mind you nearly always still have to pay the disbursements even with no move no fee, whoever it's with.
    Last edited by G_M; 17-03-2017 at 1:51 PM.
    • T21JMF
    • By T21JMF 17th Mar 17, 2:10 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    T21JMF
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:10 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:10 PM
    A friend of ours used an online firm, was quoted £350 on a £135000 buy, her end bill almost 15 weeks later was nearly £1300!!!!

We decided to go local with our sale and now purchase. Did cost a bit more - sale of our house of £240000 was £700 + VAT (not to go over that price too). Much preferred he knew the local area, and liked the fact we were able to meet face to face to go through any issues that cropped up and sign. Would definitely use local every time.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 17th Mar 17, 2:49 PM
    • 5,549 Posts
    • 5,232 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:49 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:49 PM
    As you're selling rather than buying, it's lower risk.

If everything goes smoothly, perhaps an online conveyancer is fine. They can just go through the process, fill in the forms and tick the boxes.

The challenge may be if problems arise, and some 'non-standard' action is required. An online conveyancer may not be in a position to offer advice, or do anything beyond the standard processes.

That might increase the likelihood of a sale falling through.

But it's hard to guess in advance whether problems are likely to arise.
    • Mrs CP
    • By Mrs CP 17th Mar 17, 2:55 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    Mrs CP
    We have gone with an online conveyance as we had assumed, being a small terraced property in big demand, we would sell quickly and the process would be relatively simple. It would have been, had the first buyer actually seen the process through, but he pulled out and we had to put the house on the market again. We are now being harassed daily by our vendors' vendor for updates, progress and promises, and this is where the service falls down because they cannot respond quickly and when you are under excessive pressure, the last thing you want is to speak to a different person each time, quoting your reference number... it has added to this exceptionally stressful time. So my advice would be go with someone you can actually see, touch and feel!!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 17th Mar 17, 3:41 PM
    • 23,697 Posts
    • 89,668 Thanks
    Davesnave
    go with someone you can actually see, touch and feel!!
    Originally posted by Mrs CP
    Bearing in mind that they will know the law, I think it might be wise to avoid the latter, unless you have their consent, preferably in writing.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Hedgehog99
    • By Hedgehog99 17th Mar 17, 3:51 PM
    • 1,394 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    Hedgehog99
    As a seller whose buyer used a no sale no fee solicitor, it was a nightmare. Their solicitor left everything to the last minute (because they didn't want to do work they might not get paid for) and jeopardised the chain. I could have lost out on my purchase because of the months of delays.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 17th Mar 17, 4:49 PM
    • 6,283 Posts
    • 6,064 Thanks
    davidmcn
    Bearing in mind that they will know the law, I think it might be wise to avoid the latter, unless you have their consent, preferably in writing.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    I charge extra for that sort of stuff.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 17th Mar 17, 5:00 PM
    • 42,318 Posts
    • 49,159 Thanks
    G_M
    Originally Posted by Mrs CP
    go with someone you can actually see, touch and feel!!
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    In which case, like one lucky poster here, you might get a happy ending.
    • gld73
    • By gld73 18th Mar 17, 11:28 PM
    • 196 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    gld73
    I used an online conveyancer when I purchased my current home 2 years ago - all went fine. It's in Scotland though, so if you're in England or Wales it wouldn't be of much use as a recommendation.

I'm now about to sell my house in England and am likely to go with an online one once I've done a bit of looking around - I'm hundreds of miles away so not going to be popping into the solicitor's office for regular updates anyway, I'll have to do everything by phone/email/post. As I'm not around to do viewings etc I'm paying a lot for a local estate agent rather than using a much cheaper flat fee online one, but I don't need a local conveyancer.

And I don't think it's as clear cut as online ones are unreliable, local ones are infallible - my local solicitor when I bought the house in England missed out some key stuff which subsequently came back to bite me with a bill for a few hundred pounds which should have been paid by the previous owner. All I got from the solicitor was a verbal apology for their error.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 19th Mar 17, 12:03 AM
    • 6,283 Posts
    • 6,064 Thanks
    davidmcn
    And I don't think it's as clear cut as online ones are unreliable, local ones are infallible
    Originally posted by gld73
    Indeed, and calling the high-volume places "online" hardly distinguishes them these days when much of the work is going to be done online (and/or by phone/post) no matter how far away your conveyancer is based.

A smaller firm can be just as likely to delegate the work to someone who is out of their depth, might not have the resources to cope with increases in workload/employee absences, larger firms might be run like production lines but tend to be better with enforcing more consistent quality control, training, etc - I don't think it's helpful to over-generalise about what each type of firm is like.
    • Dollymix12
    • By Dollymix12 19th Mar 17, 7:19 AM
    • 181 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    Dollymix12
    I thought I had made a mistake choosing the EA's online conveyancer Countywide. I had sleepless nights after I read loads of horror stories about them! Turns out I was worrying for nothing, we were assigned a Lawyer by name who generally gets back to me within an hour, I have a direct line and email address for her, she has completed my sale and hopefully we will complete on our purchase in the next few weeks. We have the added bonus of tracing in line exactly where everything is up to and always being able to contact someone about our case any day of the week. Fees for the sale where also exactly as quoted but watch this space for purchase fees!
    • samspam
    • By samspam 19th Mar 17, 11:52 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    samspam
    Do not use an online conveyancer, you need a local firm where you can drop documents in when you need to. Just shop around and get their fee's. They will work on a fee scale dependant on property value and disbursements. Fees for selling are normally lower than buying and more disbursements on buying. I sell new build houses and having also bought and sold many houses myself I would never consider an online conveyancer as you need someone you can get hold of easily and quickly.
    • samspam
    • By samspam 19th Mar 17, 11:53 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    samspam
    I thought I had made a mistake choosing the EA's online conveyancer Countywide. I had sleepless nights after I read loads of horror stories about them! Turns out I was worrying for nothing, we were assigned a Lawyer by name who generally gets back to me within an hour, I have a direct line and email address for her, she has completed my sale and hopefully we will complete on our purchase in the next few weeks. We have the added bonus of tracing in line exactly where everything is up to and always being able to contact someone about our case any day of the week. Fees for the sale where also exactly as quoted but watch this space for purchase fees!
    Originally posted by Dollymix12
    Glad to hear this, I used to work for Countrywide as a valuer, I hated selling their conveyancing services as they were terrible.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

352Posts Today

2,801Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin