Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • guliag
    • By guliag 17th Mar 17, 7:45 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    guliag
    working in pilon period
    • 17th Mar 17, 7:45 AM
    working in pilon period 17th Mar 17 at 7:45 AM
    i am due to be made redundant in april. i will get approx 12000 and 3mths pay in lieu of notice. i am a single parent and recieve tax credits. my plan was to do temping work from april with a view to finding fulltime employment in september when the children go back to school. but if i work during tbe pilon period i am in effect double earning and could end up having to pay back tax credits and affect my claim. really feel i could do with some financial advice
Page 1
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 17th Mar 17, 10:31 AM
    • 30,253 Posts
    • 18,089 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:31 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:31 AM
    This is really a benefits issue and how PILON it treated for tax credits

depending on contract for income tax/NItax it can be compensation(no tax/NI) or contractual earning in the month received.

For JSA it is not consider as a payment beyond employment.

For many insurance(income/mortgage protections) claims it is treated as income in the notice period.

Need someone that knows how tax credit works with capital and income and potentially variable income within the tax year.
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 17th Mar 17, 9:39 PM
    • 2,584 Posts
    • 1,969 Thanks
    no1catman
    • 17th Mar 17, 9:39 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 9:39 PM
    I wouldn't worry too much about it, take what temporary work you can. While you may like to full-time/permanent in September - as the song goes -'we can't always get what we want'!
    The temporary jobs you get, may not be continuous, and it may months later when the job offer comes through.
    But when it does the WTC will make up the difference.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

104Posts Today

2,922Users online

Martin's Twitter