Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • paulmcollins
    • By paulmcollins 17th Mar 17, 5:57 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    paulmcollins
    Remortgage with Help to Buy (Home Equity Loan)
    • 17th Mar 17, 5:57 AM
    Remortgage with Help to Buy (Home Equity Loan) 17th Mar 17 at 5:57 AM
    Hi,

We currently have a mortgage with Nationwide on a 2 year fixed rate which expires in September 2017, at this point we will have a 10% share of our property. With a 20% share also being owned by the Government (HTB).

Does anyone know or has anyone been in the same position and looked to remortgage retaining the help to buy loan in effect getting a 70% LTV mortgage, alternatively is it an option to add the 20% HTB amount onto the remotgage and obtain a mortgage with 90% LTV.

Any advise or people who have gone through something similar would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Paul
Page 1
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 17th Mar 17, 8:43 AM
    • 30,926 Posts
    • 16,483 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 17th Mar 17, 8:43 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 8:43 AM
    Keeping the HTB loan, your best option will be a Nationwide customer retention product - new deal from existing lender.

There are a couple of lenders accepting the loan being left in situ when you remortgage, but there's paperwork with the HTB agent and cost and you can't borrow more other than to repay some/all of the loan.

You can remortgage to a new lender to repay Nationwide and the loan subject to equity in the property and affordability.

As always, broker assistance recommended.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

128Posts Today

2,094Users online

Martin's Twitter