Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 17th Mar 17, 6:15 AM
    • 2,692Posts
    • 35,736Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Friday 17 March 2017
    • 17th Mar 17, 6:15 AM
    O/S Daily Friday 17 March 2017 17th Mar 17 at 6:15 AM
    O/S Daily Friday 17 March 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work, DS2 still in his pit.

Now light, cloudy but dry underfoot, turned much cooler too.

Dinner last night was lamb hotpot, potato bake, cauli in cheese sauce, carrots and brocolli - all eaten and enjoyed, lamb was horrifically expensive but delicious. Tonight dinner will be chicken and bacon kievs, chips/jacket potato, beans/veg for the menfolk, I'll be having mushroom omelette and salad.

Yesterday I was busy all day and got quite a lot done. The washing machine didn't stop all day - I gave up trying to get the washing dried on the line though, it wasn't drying, and I needed to get it done, so TD was used but only for the items that I was struggling to dry. I will continue with that today. I did get some housework done, visited town to go to the bank and building society also the butchers. Sorted the meat that I'd bought into freezer bags and that's all in the freezer. I then got the lamb casserole prepped and into the slow cooker, prepped the potato bake and put in the fridge, prepped the veg. I also then made a peach sponge that I served warm with custard for dessert last night, there is a little of that left. I also prepped the pack ups for today, so by 4pm it was all sorted. It was one of those days where I didn't stop all day, but don't actually think I achieved that much!

Moving forward to today -
    I will be going food shopping first thing, returning home getting it all put away, then tackling the pile of ironing, going for nail appointment late morning, then going to collect family member to take them shopping, it's going to be a trial, as they are a nightmare to shop with, hence why I'm doing mine first thing (I also shop in a different shop)- hence why dinner is already sorted and just an easy put in the oven type meal. I would like to get some baking/cooking done if I can fit it in, if not I'll perhaps do some in the morning whilst DH is at work.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 17-03-2017 at 6:32 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 2
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 17th Mar 17, 3:12 PM
    • 976 Posts
    • 11,610 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Gers thanks for the warning about the weather. I'll make sure I'm prepared after flying home from my cold skiing trip 19degrees in the village today. I'm in a T-shirt with a tan, and I've skied precisely twice. Great holiday

Speky great news. Let me know when the house warming party is You'll find furniture coming at you from all directions when you start letting people know you have your own place. My tip - accept it. Save your money for a few perfect pieces initially and then switch things up when you can.

See you all properly tomorrow. Grrrrrr. I hate the last day of the holiday. Packed and almost ready to go. Now filling time trying not to make a mess. Or eat more chocolate. I started off a craving with last nights birthday cake and I've been grazing all day.
    *** Debt Free***
    NST March : NSD = 15/15
    Goals - Weight loss 4.6/23lbs from 1st Jan 17
    GC To 1/4/17 £566.71/£3,000, 18.89/24.66% of the year.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 17th Mar 17, 4:15 PM
    • 9,330 Posts
    • 100,819 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Speky excellent news! I'm with the others - as long as you have something to park your weary backside on, a bed to fall into, and enough cooking equipment, crockery and cutlery to have your meals, the rest will take care of itself in due course.

Our coffee table is a section of laboratory bench that Mr LW's dad snaffled when the lab he worked in was refurbished, and put a set of legs onto. I wouldn't bother replacing it, because it's a good sturdy table, and serves our needs.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 17th Mar 17, 5:15 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 1,566 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Gers Sorry I may have misled you as it was not THE Eisteddfod but a county one. Nevertheless I'm still one proud nanny today
    DH has gone downhill since this morning, we think it is a cold coming, however as he has very low immune system we will have to wait and see.
    Specky may I come to your house warming party too? I can bake a mean Victoria sponge or fruit cake if you prefer, or even both as it will be a celebration!
    nan
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 17th Mar 17, 6:17 PM
    • 4,870 Posts
    • 46,837 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Happy St Patricks Day everybody......as usual it is raining, which was a pity this morning as the Dublin parade, which is very colourful, was cold and wet......wasnt one of the thousands who turned out to watch!

Having duck breast for dinner, baked potatoes and salad as sides, pears and ice cream as pudding.....should move my arris as have just noticed the time.

Have a good evening all, whatever you are up to.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • elona
    • By elona 17th Mar 17, 6:37 PM
    • 10,834 Posts
    • 55,787 Thanks
    elona
    I finally found someone to make a start on sorting out the garden and she came round this morning to do some weeding and pruning.
    The front of the house is starting to look much better.

I got fooled by a couple of nice days earlier this week and ordered lots of fruit, veg, salad etc. Now it is so miserable I have ended up making a stew as I feel so cold.

To cheer myself up I have arranged to meet a DD tomorrow and go to see "Kong" in York and have a posh coffee while we are there.

Speky

Really pleased your bid was sucessful

Evening meal was pork chop and stir fry and have some stew to reheat for tomorrow's lunch so can concentrate on doing a quick tidy round in the morning.

Hug to all
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 17th Mar 17, 7:29 PM
    • 14,628 Posts
    • 115,964 Thanks
    JackieO
    Speky as long as you have a bed to sleep in,even a blow up mattress will do and a kettle and some crockery and knives and forks and the odd saucepan and a frying pan make do with it until you can afford to buy what you want My first home was furnished with second hand bits and family and friends helping out and I still have a few bits that I have never got rid of I still use two of my wedding present sacepans and I married in 1962 they have only one lid left, but are good as they were when I first had them. I use the biggest one almost weekly.

Posh stuff can wait, a roof over you head of you own is the best feeling in the world, and I wish you the very best for the future.

and you are right ,HM scones beat shop bought ones every time
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    New food budget £60.00
    : 9/4/17 spent £21.86 leaving £38.14 in budget purse
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 17th Mar 17, 8:17 PM
    • 2,553 Posts
    • 32,383 Thanks
    monnagran
    Specky, in the early sixties we visited a newly married couple who came from fairly upper crust families. We drank cheap wine served from a Waterford Crystal decanter into matching glasses on a silver tray. Wedding presents. We sat on deckchairs round a one bar electric fire before dining off cheese on toast. We often laughed about that since.
    I was married at about the same time as JackieO and we had the most beautiful antique dining table and chairs. They looked so impressive but they were the only chairs we had. Very elegant but most uncomfortable to sit in. It was 7 months before I could afford a vacuum cleaner and a whole year before I managed a third hand fridge.
    Like Jackie I am also still using some of my wedding presents, like the bread board and knife which has been in daily use for over 50 years. Thankfully, none of the 29 Pyrex casseroles that I was given have survived.

Setting up a home is the greatest fun. Rescuing stuff from skips and doing them up, picking up things from freegle, giving things being decluttered from someone else's house a new home, is strangely satisfying.

Enjoy yourself and good luck.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • topsyturphy
    • By topsyturphy 17th Mar 17, 9:11 PM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 9,552 Thanks
    topsyturphy
    Tru - happy birthday for yesterday

Snoozer - happy birthday for today.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,250Posts Today

6,319Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • As I've said before - energy price cap sounds good, and will likely be popular, but there's a big risk of making th? https://t.co/ubeV9vnmU7

• Just seen @IvoGraham doing stand up in a comedy club. Superb, witty, self depricating, clever stuff. Go see him if you get the chance

• RT @ChrissyNunn: New one from @Tesco today.. "The sale of Goods Act is just legislation, it's like a guideline, it's not law" @MartinSLewis?

• Follow Martin