Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • olgadapolga
    • By olgadapolga 16th Mar 17, 10:05 PM
    • 789Posts
    • 943Thanks
    olgadapolga
    Mortgages - Main Income CTC/CB?
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:05 PM
    Mortgages - Main Income CTC/CB? 16th Mar 17 at 10:05 PM
    Hi,

Does anyone know if any mortgage providers will lend to those who's main income comprises of child tax credit and child benefit? Only looking for a small mortgage, approx 10% of property value (the other 90% is from sale of a house several years ago).

Thanks
Page 1
    • glosoli
    • By glosoli 16th Mar 17, 10:22 PM
    • 667 Posts
    • 384 Thanks
    glosoli
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:22 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:22 PM
    I don't know for certain but I would be surprised if it was possible through any main stream lender.

The issue with low incomes is that any net income is wiped out by "sustenance" expenditure, i.e figures used based on data from the ONS based on the number of adults and dependants in the household, used by lenders to assess affordability, so the mortgage could very well be determined to be unaffordable even before looking at any mortgage repayments. Not to mention benefit income is at the mercy of the next government budget.

What is your net income and how much are you actually looking to borrow?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

12Posts Today

4,285Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin