Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MoneySavingMission
    • By MoneySavingMission 16th Mar 17, 9:48 PM
    • 175Posts
    • 12Thanks
    MoneySavingMission
    standard qualifying period for sick pay?
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:48 PM
    standard qualifying period for sick pay? 16th Mar 17 at 9:48 PM
    is there a set legal period of 'qualifying period' for a FTC contract to get paid sick pay - not ssp?
Page 1
    • Masomnia
    • By Masomnia 16th Mar 17, 9:59 PM
    • 16,987 Posts
    • 37,449 Thanks
    Masomnia
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:59 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:59 PM
    Company sick pay is often discretionary, so the answer to that one is no. Check your company policies on it.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
    • MoneySavingMission
    • By MoneySavingMission 16th Mar 17, 10:09 PM
    • 175 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    MoneySavingMission
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:09 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:09 PM
    told I would get benefits like holiday entitlement, bonus and sick pay but contract doesn't specify only says after 'qualifying period'?
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 16th Mar 17, 10:29 PM
    • 18,612 Posts
    • 18,871 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:29 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:29 PM
    Then ask. My experience is that most contracts nowadays don't have any sick pay until the probationary period is up. This is in the voluntary sector - traditionally one of the most generous for T & C (even if they are low on pay!) so may be very different, but will probably be worse, in other sectors.
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 17th Mar 17, 11:18 AM
    • 3,052 Posts
    • 2,798 Thanks
    Undervalued
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:18 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:18 AM
    told I would get benefits like holiday entitlement, bonus and sick pay but contract doesn't specify only says after 'qualifying period'?
    Originally posted by MoneySavingMission
    As others have said you will have to ask what their qualifying period is as there is no legal minimum or maximum. Even then, the vast majority of company sick pay schemes are "discretionary" meaning there is no absolute entitlement to it even when "qualified". There are exceptions where there is a hard and fast contractual entitlement (obviously subject to complying with any conditions) but that is becoming rare, particularly for new entrants.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

111Posts Today

1,514Users online

Martin's Twitter