Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • happyhero
    • By happyhero 16th Mar 17, 8:43 PM
    • 1,057Posts
    • 48Thanks
    happyhero
    State Pension for me - confused - help please
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:43 PM
    State Pension for me - confused - help please 16th Mar 17 at 8:43 PM
    I'm struggling a bit with state pension info online to make it clear for my particular case.

I'm 56 born 1961. I left work in 2005 to live off savings/investments. At that time I had 30 qualifying NI years which I'm sure I phoned up about and was told that would give me a full state pension but when I did a quick state pension forecast online last year it looked like that 30 years was not enough and I wouldn't get a full state pension.

Have I got something wrong/mixed up?

Will I get a full state pension?

Should I and could I top my state pension up?

If I could what would it likely cost me?

Would the money be better directed to a SIPP as I am a keen investor?
Page 2
    • roxy28
    • By roxy28 18th Mar 17, 3:56 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    roxy28
    I edited my post re 9th year whilst you were posting.

Years can be purchased at the in year price up to 2 years after the end of the year so 2016-17 needs to be purchased by 5 April 2019 to maintain the current price. After then they increase to the price of the year when purchased and are available until the end of 6 years so 5 April 2023 for 16-17. You cannot buy in advance so will have to buy as you go along. 16-17 is £733.20, 17-18 will be £741, each year increasing roughly with CPI.
    Originally posted by molerat
    For someone who is retired now and reaches SP age in march 2019 can they buy 2 years worth of NI to increase SP amount.
    Years 2016/17 2017/18 but not 2018/19? and can the 2 years be paid together after year 2017/18.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 18th Mar 17, 4:06 PM
    • 15,863 Posts
    • 10,070 Thanks
    molerat
    Yes. You cannot buy the year you reach SPA. Buying them together will not be a problem.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • roxy28
    • By roxy28 18th Mar 17, 5:33 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    roxy28
    Yes. You cannot buy the year you reach SPA. Buying them together will not be a problem.
    Ok thanks for the reply.

My uncle who this applies to was unsure if the tax year 2017/18 was ok to buy.

Also is there any advantage in buying 2016/17 after april 6th this year
    • molerat
    • By molerat 18th Mar 17, 6:03 PM
    • 15,863 Posts
    • 10,070 Thanks
    molerat
    The advantage is in buying them as late as possible. The earliest,16/17, will stay at the same price so the money can be put away in an interest earning account plus it is safe if he falls under a bus
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • roxy28
    • By roxy28 19th Mar 17, 3:59 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    roxy28
    The advantage is in buying them as late as possible. The earliest,16/17, will stay at the same price so the money can be put away in an interest earning account plus it is safe if he falls under a bus
    Ok thanks again, have passed info on.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,427Posts Today

8,110Users online

Martin's Twitter