Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • arsenalboy
    • By arsenalboy 16th Mar 17, 9:29 PM
    • 272Posts
    • 116Thanks
    arsenalboy
    Confused by WC range
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:29 PM
    Confused by WC range 16th Mar 17 at 9:29 PM
    So we are planning a new bathroom and looking for a new close coupled WC,
    We are really confused because you can go on sites such as Victoria Plumbing and see over 100 examples of what we are looking for. But the price can range from £50 to £350 or more, granted some look cheap and you wouldn't want them in a nice bathroom. However, the majority are priced between £100 and £250 and they all look the same.
    Why is there such a price range? They are all made of similar material and all work the same way!
Page 1
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 16th Mar 17, 10:10 PM
    • 2,237 Posts
    • 1,494 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:10 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:10 PM
    Personally I wouldn't buy without seeing them in the flesh, some look great in pictures but not so good in real life.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 17th Mar 17, 10:29 AM
    • 2,664 Posts
    • 1,490 Thanks
    Annie1960
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:29 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:29 AM
    One difference will be the quality of the glaze used. If you are in a hard-water area this will become apparent over time and the cheap ones will be difficult to keep clean.

I've gone for a mid-range Ideal Standard as I've had these before and the quality was good.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 17th Mar 17, 8:00 PM
    • 22,637 Posts
    • 87,526 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 17th Mar 17, 8:00 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 8:00 PM
    If you decide to go mid-range, there may be something in the clearance range from Ideal Standard that suits.

http://www.idealstandard-sales.co.uk/

Places like Homebase sometimes re-name older models too and sell them off cheap, still keeping the IS name on them.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Danny.Olier
    • By Danny.Olier 19th Mar 17, 9:43 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Danny.Olier
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:43 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:43 AM
    Hey,
    I think that the price is different cause the types of collections, trends and so on. If the product is cheep or expensive - It doesn't reflect the quality always. Just as clothes are sold at different prices in different periods..
    I think its better for you to choose by yourself with your style design and just make sure about the quality.
    • maisie cat
    • By maisie cat 19th Mar 17, 9:48 AM
    • 196 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    maisie cat
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:48 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:48 AM
    some of the price difference is quality, much of it is smoke and mirrors. I've put in 5 bathrooms/loos over the last 10 years and wickes were the best, certainly the most comfortable of our loos. We have had to replace taps on B&Q sinks after only a couple of years and loo seats on cheaper ranges to do hold up to use!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,635Posts Today

5,109Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin