Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fjh
    • By fjh 16th Mar 17, 9:14 PM
    • 57Posts
    • 6Thanks
    fjh
    SIPP & tax Advice
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:14 PM
    SIPP & tax Advice 16th Mar 17 at 9:14 PM
    I previously posted regarding possibility of moving my Final Salary Pension to a 'SIPP'

But I have Just discovered another 'Option' rather than a) leave Final salary pension alone or b) TF to drawdown I have found I have an option of just 'transfering ' @ 35k in my AVC to a SIPP
    As its over 30k I know I need IFA to sign off .
    Would I be able to then draw this out of SIPP as part of my 25% tax free ( Final salary Pension TF value is 885K)- this appeals as it would still give me some time to decide if I should TF the main pension to Drawdown
    Any suggestions re a good priced SIPP provider would be welcome
    Thanks G
Page 1
    • kidmugsy
    • By kidmugsy 16th Mar 17, 9:28 PM
    • 9,261 Posts
    • 6,076 Thanks
    kidmugsy
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:28 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:28 PM
    Any suggestions re a good priced SIPP provider would be welcome
    Originally posted by fjh
    At 35k Hargreaves Lansdown would give you a good combo of user-friendliness and cost.

Why is it better to transfer the AVC than to get it all out tax-free when you activate the FS pension? Once it's in the SIPP you'll get only 25% of it tax-free.
    • fjh
    • By fjh 17th Mar 17, 6:15 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    fjh
    • 17th Mar 17, 6:15 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 6:15 AM
    I was looking to just use the AVC if possible for Home improvements etc, still not sure about TF of Final salary and reiterated in 5 years time so still have some time to decide( I accept TF value may alter)
    Is it possible to take the AVC as part of the overall 25% tax free then start to draw those funds?
    • Linton
    • By Linton 17th Mar 17, 8:43 AM
    • 7,636 Posts
    • 7,403 Thanks
    Linton
    • 17th Mar 17, 8:43 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 8:43 AM
    Each pension's 25% tax free is completely separate. There isnt an "overall 25% tax free". Except in the case of some DB schemes which allow the DB 25% to be taken from the associated AVC. You would need to check what the rules are for your DB scheme.
    • AlanP
    • By AlanP 17th Mar 17, 12:43 PM
    • 734 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    AlanP
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:43 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:43 PM
    Does your main scheme allow you to take the AVC pot fully tax free as part of a (DB+AVC) *25% calculation as if it does paying tax on 75% of it is an avoidable expense?

If you do transfer it and withdraw anything over the 25% tax free you will be hit by the MPAA and limited to 4k annual pension contribution limit?- this doesn't apply to DB pension contributions as far as I understand it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

219Posts Today

1,192Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Just looking at the final(ish) Premier League table. The gap between the top seven and the rest is huge. Has it ever been more lopsided?

• Follow Martin