Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 16th Mar 17, 8:02 PM
    • 9,864Posts
    • 15,362Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    British Gas asking for meter readings when we have Smart Meters
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:02 PM
    British Gas asking for meter readings when we have Smart Meters 16th Mar 17 at 8:02 PM
    As per the title, we had Smart Meters installed last year by BG for our Gas and Electricity.

They have now phoned twice (recorded messages so can't speak to a real person) asking for meter readings.

What's going on? I thought Smart Meters were supposed to do away with having to read our own meters. Ours are inconveniently sited in our garage and necessitates moving OH's "pride and joy" car out of the way, that only comes out once a year for MOT!
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

Page 1
  • archived user
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:47 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:47 PM
    Could be that they have stopped communicating for whatever reason. I work for BG meter reading and they send me out to read non communicating smart meters sometimes.more often on business meters but a few domestics do stop working.
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 16th Mar 17, 8:54 PM
    • 9,864 Posts
    • 15,362 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:54 PM
    Thanks for that. I would have thought that if there is a problem with our meters, the solution would be to arrange for someone to come out and fix them, not just return us to the cycle of reading the darned things every few months.

• footyguy
    • By footyguy 16th Mar 17, 8:54 PM
    • 3,211 Posts
    • 1,228 Thanks
    footyguy
    As per the title, we had Smart Meters installed last year by BG for our Gas and Electricity.

They have now phoned twice (recorded messages so can't speak to a real person) asking for meter readings.

What's going on? I thought Smart Meters were supposed to do away with having to read our own meters. Ours are inconveniently sited in our garage and necessitates moving OH's "pride and joy" car out of the way, that only comes out once a year for MOT!
    Originally posted by Bogof_Babe
    Can't you get the reading off the IHD?
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 16th Mar 17, 8:56 PM
    • 9,864 Posts
    • 15,362 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:56 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:56 PM
    Can't you get the reading off the IHD?
    Originally posted by footyguy
    What's the IHD?

• footyguy
    • By footyguy 16th Mar 17, 9:08 PM
    • 3,211 Posts
    • 1,228 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:08 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:08 PM
    What's the IHD?
    https://www.britishgas.co.uk/content/dam/british-gas/documents/part3.pdf
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 16th Mar 17, 9:13 PM
    • 9,864 Posts
    • 15,362 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:13 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:13 PM
    Oh we have got one of those in a drawer somewhere. The novelty soon wore off.

Didn't know it showed the current meter readings as well as the cost of what we are using. Presumably that information is buried deep within a series of menus or similar?

Anyway that's not really the point, they put in smart meters to avoid us having to do anything other than pay the bills, so it's their responsibility to ensure they work.

• jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 16th Mar 17, 9:18 PM
    • 3,625 Posts
    • 4,583 Thanks
    jack_pott
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:18 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:18 PM
    The novelty soon wore off.
    There's the reason why smart meters are a waste of money.

They'll only help save money off people's bills if they are willing to faff around checking their usage every verse end, and nobody's going to be bothered with that for very long.
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 16th Mar 17, 9:42 PM
    • 9,864 Posts
    • 15,362 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:42 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:42 PM

They'll only help save money off people's bills if they are willing to faff around checking their usage every verse end, and nobody's going to be bothered with that for very long.
    Originally posted by jack_pott
    The smart meters are so that usage is monitored centrally without the home occupier having to submit their own readings.

The usage gadget is an optional extra for those who want to see where they are using energy, and how much it is costing. We plugged it in for about a week, but it was so obvious that if we had the tumble dryer on we were using more electricity than if we didn't, etc. etc., that we decided we would rather have the use of our wall socket back!

• mac.d
    • By mac.d 16th Mar 17, 10:48 PM
    • 398 Posts
    • 307 Thanks
    mac.d
    Didn't know it showed the current meter readings as well as the cost of what we are using. Presumably that information is buried deep within a series of menus or similar?

Anyway that's not really the point, they put in smart meters to avoid us having to do anything other than pay the bills, so it's their responsibility to ensure they work.
    If they're asking for readings then there must be a problem with the smart meter communicating with their systems, and perhaps when they are next due to read meters in your area they will send someone out to read it and check what's up with it.

In the meantime, plug the energy monitor they gave you back in just to get your meter readings off it and then throw it back in the drawer. There's a 'Meter Readings' listed in the main menu, so its not hard to find them.

If you plug it back in and it can't communicate with your meters, then you know there is definitely a problem.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 17th Mar 17, 8:36 AM
    • 5,819 Posts
    • 4,566 Thanks
    Norman Castle

Originally posted by jack_pott
    The in house display is like a free Meercat toy but much less fun. Its waved in front of customers to distract them from the X billion they're paying to save suppliers X billion.

• lstar337
    • By lstar337 17th Mar 17, 10:00 AM
    • 3,072 Posts
    • 1,618 Thanks
    lstar337
    Its waved in front of customers to distract them from the X billion they're paying to save suppliers X billion.
    Originally posted by Norman Castle
    And keep the lights on.
    • mac.d
    • By mac.d 17th Mar 17, 10:35 AM
    • 398 Posts
    • 307 Thanks
    mac.d
    The in house display is like a free Meercat toy but much less fun. Its waved in front of customers to distract them from the X billion they're paying to save suppliers X billion.
    Originally posted by Norman Castle
    Don't they estimate it will save you around 20 per year IF you cut your energy use from using these to monitor it? *cough* just ignore the cost everyone has to pay for the installation of these meters *cough*.

What a bargain. How can people not be excited.
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 17th Mar 17, 11:16 AM
    • 3,072 Posts
    • 1,618 Thanks
    lstar337
    Don't they estimate it will save you around 20 per year IF you cut your energy use from using these to monitor it? *cough* just ignore the cost everyone has to pay for the installation of these meters *cough*.

What a bargain. How can people not be excited.
    Originally posted by mac.d
    Smart meters benefit the public indirectly.

There were a few choices:

1. Don't bother to do everything and wait for all the lights to go off as the grid fails to keep pace with the countries usage. [Public left with no power]

2. Increase capacity to meet the pace of usage increases (which would have been too slow anyway), and pay those power stations to sit idle while we don't use the power in off-peak times. [Public subjected to power shortages followed by an increase in bills to pay for standby capacity]

3. Improve grid efficiency through monitoring/management (smart meters), and trying to educate people on how to reduce their consumption. [Public subjected to slightly higher bills, but the lights probably stay on (for now)]

In reality they are combining a few ideas to keep us in power for the next few years. Neglect of the grid and capacity have put us in a crummy situation. Renewables are adding capacity (at least), but they are very intermittent. This is why real feedback is required in order to improve the grid. How can improvements be made with no real information on where the problems are?

So smart meters are helping the public, whether you see it or not. The way they are being rolled out is the usual government shambles, but the meters themselves and their purpose are not to blame.
    • zerog
    • By zerog 17th Mar 17, 12:50 PM
    • 2,228 Posts
    • 751 Thanks
    zerog
    I have a smart meter installed by my current supplier, but they sent me estimated bills for an entire year.

The estimates were significantly under my actual usage, so I didn't bother to correct them.

About 14 months afterwards I got a bill with the actual reading, so the meter does work, but they don't seem to be bothering with it most of the time.

To Bogof_Babe, why don't you submit a quick complaint and maybe they will give you a tenner to move the car
    • r2015
    • By r2015 17th Mar 17, 1:41 PM
    • 834 Posts
    • 240 Thanks
    r2015
    If it's anything like my IHD it's only a few button presses
    Menu scroll down to meter readings.

Lot easier than moving the car
    Past 70 and getting more forgetful and tending to ramble more.
    If you think I've asked this before I probably have.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

243Posts Today

2,212Users online

Martin's Twitter