Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • aj9648
    • By aj9648 16th Mar 17, 7:52 PM
    • 1,033Posts
    • 91Thanks
    aj9648
    Is WiFi affecting AMIKO box?
    • 16th Mar 17, 7:52 PM
    Is WiFi affecting AMIKO box? 16th Mar 17 at 7:52 PM
    Hi

I have an AMIKO box (bit like KODI) and have found that when I use wifi on my laptop I get interference. When I switch off the wifi on the laptop, the interference goes away.

Any suggestions why this would cause it? The router is upstairs. I have tried switching it off etc etc

Any other suggestions?
Page 1
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 16th Mar 17, 8:19 PM
    • 527 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:19 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:19 PM
    All wireless technology uses the same part of the radio spectrum to operate in, typically 2.4Ghz. This is split into eleven channels. if two different devices are operating in the same channel they can and often will interfere with each other.

The easiest solution is to change the wireless channel on the router. You need to log into its control panel and see what you can change and hope you find one that doesn't interfere with something else.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 16th Mar 17, 8:22 PM
    • 11,168 Posts
    • 6,207 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:22 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:22 PM
    It'll be poor EMI protection in the TV box (bad design), probably not much you can do.
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • aj9648
    • By aj9648 16th Mar 17, 8:30 PM
    • 1,033 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    aj9648
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:30 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:30 PM
    It'll be poor EMI protection in the TV box (bad design), probably not much you can do.
    Originally posted by Strider590
    It seems fine on the 'normal' channel - BBC etc but interferes on the other channels like sky etc.

Turn my laptop wifi off and is all ok again. grrr
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 16th Mar 17, 8:31 PM
    • 8,079 Posts
    • 6,109 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:31 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:31 PM
    Of course they may be using the same ip address perhaps?
    • aj9648
    • By aj9648 16th Mar 17, 8:36 PM
    • 1,033 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    aj9648
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:36 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:36 PM
    Of course they may be using the same ip address perhaps?
    Originally posted by debitcardmayhem
    How do I check that and change it?
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 16th Mar 17, 8:42 PM
    • 8,079 Posts
    • 6,109 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:42 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:42 PM
    Not sure about the amiko box is there a network setting on it which tells what the ip address is, on a windows pc then run - ipconfig /all in a command prompt
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 16th Mar 17, 8:57 PM
    • 7,295 Posts
    • 5,186 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:57 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:57 PM
    Years ago, I had a "video sender" (that plugs in to the back of a TV and transmits the signal wirelessly). It didn't use wi-fi (but did seem to operate on the same frequency, judging by the interference).

When the wireless access point was enabled, pulsing horizontal lines appeared on the TV screen.

I didn't realise it was related at the time, but the router started rebooting to factory defaults at random. Which meant that the wireless network was enabled with no encryption. (Nice defaults, Netgear!)

Anyway, I eventually realised that it was the video-sender.

I've no idea what an AMIKO or KODI box is, but if it does something similar to the "video sender", then it could be causing problems.

Other than moving them apart, maybe you could set up some kind of shielding to reduce the interference...?
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 16th Mar 17, 9:09 PM
    • 761 Posts
    • 474 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:09 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:09 PM
    If its interfering with streaming because you're thieving Sky then its because your internet connection is too slow to support what your laptop is doing and streaming Sky at the same time.

You could do what honourable people do in this country and actually subscribe to Sky then you'd not have this issue.
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 16th Mar 17, 9:31 PM
    • 8,079 Posts
    • 6,109 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    If its interfering with streaming because you're thieving Sky then its because your internet connection is too slow to support what your laptop is doing and streaming Sky at the same time.

You could do what honourable people do in this country and actually subscribe to Sky then you'd not have this issue.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    Of course the OP may be trying to stream legitimate content from his let's say NAS to his not so smart TV , accusing someone of
    thieving Sky
    is totally out of order , you have no reason to state that. You are not the judge, jury and executor, unless of course you are paid by the Murdoch empire. Oh and try and do as you refer to yourself
    what honourable people do in this country
    i.e. don't make assumptions that people are guilty in your court
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

727Posts Today

6,460Users online

Martin's Twitter