Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • principlecounts
    • By principlecounts 16th Mar 17, 7:51 PM
    • 258Posts
    • 63Thanks
    principlecounts
    What to purchase for 100 and will appreciate in 2 years?
    • 16th Mar 17, 7:51 PM
    What to purchase for 100 and will appreciate in 2 years? 16th Mar 17 at 7:51 PM
    I've got about 100 cashback from Amex Cashback card. I've stopped using that card now, and have moved on to their BA card as collecting Avios points is more important to me now than cashback.

Rather than waste 100 on everyday pointless things, what should I spent it on that will appreciate in 2 years?
    Student loan: 9,372.11 @31/03/2017 (1.25%)
    Mortgage 1: 208,462.73 (1.38%)
    Mortgage 2: 148,500.00 (2.14%)
    2017 Saving Challenge: Personal: 1000/2000 (2%), 2017 N&SI: 100/500 (Monthly Prize Draw)
Page 2
    • veryintrigued
    • By veryintrigued 19th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    • 1,968 Posts
    • 1,213 Thanks
    veryintrigued
    Buy 100 of petrol and store in your bath (and sink if required).
    • Flobberchops
    • By Flobberchops 19th Mar 17, 12:43 PM
    • 519 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    Flobberchops
    I was into 50p coins a few years back, I did OK out of them. I'll keep a look out, thanks.

Thanks.
    Originally posted by principlecounts
    I have a hunch the 2017 RAF 2 is going to be popular, no idea about Austen or the Newton 50p but I'll be snapping them up too.

You also may be able to make a quick buck on the 28th of this month if you're able to get your hands on a bag or two of uncirculated 12-sided pounds - either flog them straight away to capitalise on the novelty factor, or hold them for the long term. A similar opportunity may come along with the new polymer 10 notes in September - as with the fivers; low serial numbers, sequential numbers, novelty serials such as AK47, and mint condition will all assist resell value.

Finally, the Royal Mint are selling uncirculated pound coins billed as "the last round pound" at 10 apiece. At that price they may represent a decent opportunity for speculation.

Best of luck
    Last edited by Flobberchops; 19-03-2017 at 12:45 PM.
    • picks
    • By picks 19th Mar 17, 3:31 PM
    • 173 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    picks
    I've got about 100 cashback from Amex Cashback card. I've stopped using that card now, and have moved on to their BA card as collecting Avios points is more important to me now than cashback.

Rather than waste 100 on everyday pointless things, what should I spent it on that will appreciate in 2 years?
    Originally posted by principlecounts
    Spend the 100 on an advertising campaign and printed leaflets entitled
    Send me 5 and I'll show you the secret of making yourself rich just by sitting at home.

Then when the fivers come flooding into your house post box, you send each of the punters a pre-prepared document saying:
    "The secret of making yourself rich just by sitting at home is to start an advertising campaign entitled
    Send me 5 and I'll show you the secret of making yourself rich just by sitting at home"
    • badger09
    • By badger09 19th Mar 17, 4:33 PM
    • 5,071 Posts
    • 4,271 Thanks
    badger09
    Buy 100 of petrol and store in your bath (and sink if required).
    Originally posted by veryintrigued
    Hope you forgot to add an emoji
    • veryintrigued
    • By veryintrigued 19th Mar 17, 4:56 PM
    • 1,968 Posts
    • 1,213 Thanks
    veryintrigued
    Hope you forgot to add an emoji
    Originally posted by badger09
    You're right - is there an emoji for 'hedging bets and filling the sink with diesel'?
    • novice_1
    • By novice_1 19th Mar 17, 6:29 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    novice_1
    If this thread is serious, and you have storage, then you can beat interest rates by buying the things you will consume over the next two years and keeping them.

Sterling is already down and inflation is on the way. If you can buy and store in advance and the things you need are non-perishable, then get going. Worst case scenario, you've lost the opportunity cost of what you COULD have bought and prices stay flat. Anything above that is a gain.
    Originally posted by parchedpeas
    Great advice. Stock up now on cans of tuna, wine, chocolate etc that will increase in price in medium term.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 19th Mar 17, 6:37 PM
    • 1,346 Posts
    • 1,131 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    Retro games consoles are increasing in value and within your budget. Get one in good condition with a box and you certainly will not lose any money on it.
    • Ray Singh-Blue
    • By Ray Singh-Blue 19th Mar 17, 7:48 PM
    • 317 Posts
    • 405 Thanks
    Ray Singh-Blue
    Buy something that gives you pleasure or utility while you own it. When you come to sell it on, if you break even, you still had that enjoyment or use. If you make a profit that's even better.

Examples: a second hand bicycle, a second hand cement mixer, a signed print of a painting you like.
    • grey gym sock
    • By grey gym sock 20th Mar 17, 1:18 AM
    • 4,044 Posts
    • 3,512 Thanks
    grey gym sock
    Finally, the Royal Mint are selling uncirculated pound coins billed as "the last round pound" at 10 apiece.
    Originally posted by Flobberchops
    they're selling coins (plural) as "the last round pound"!? have you contacted trading standards?
    • picks
    • By picks 20th Mar 17, 10:35 AM
    • 173 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    picks
    they're selling coins (plural) as "the last round pound"!? have you contacted trading standards?
    Originally posted by grey gym sock
    I might get a round tuit.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,182Posts Today

6,483Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin