Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • re14796
    • By re14796 16th Mar 17, 6:50 PM
    • 44Posts
    • 4Thanks
    re14796
    Rearranging an interview
    • 16th Mar 17, 6:50 PM
    Rearranging an interview 16th Mar 17 at 6:50 PM
    I got an interview the week after next. I am off next week so emailed to see whether they could change the date to next week yesterday . Now I am off next week, if the organisation email me back next week and say they can not rearrange, I won't be able to book the day off. So want do I do?
Page 1
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 16th Mar 17, 6:56 PM
    • 3,799 Posts
    • 3,310 Thanks
    Sleazy
    • 16th Mar 17, 6:56 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 6:56 PM
    If you want the job, go. If you're not that bothered, don't.
    Signed Sleazy
    Otherwise known as the Lounge Lizard
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 16th Mar 17, 7:12 PM
    • 4,621 Posts
    • 3,764 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    • 16th Mar 17, 7:12 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 7:12 PM
    That's life. You cannot expect everyone else to reschedule things just to suit you. Maybe everyone involved is busy next week and they have arranged for all of the interviews to be held on one day.
    • divadee
    • By divadee 16th Mar 17, 10:29 PM
    • 10,378 Posts
    • 17,799 Thanks
    divadee
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:29 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:29 PM
    Where I work and when I recruit staff we hold interviews over 2 or 2 days that are fixed by our hr. We can't change the dates so unfortunately if someone can't make the dates we have to say no to an interview. We can change times though so maybe you could go in a lunchbreak or after work?
    • Sjc1973
    • By Sjc1973 16th Mar 17, 10:49 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    Sjc1973
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:49 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:49 PM
    Can you contact them again and explain that it would be preferable to have when your off, if they can't just negotiate a time you might be able to do. They might be flexible and should understand you limited aviability the following week given that you work
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 16th Mar 17, 11:01 PM
    • 2,575 Posts
    • 1,351 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:01 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:01 PM
    So what do I do?
    Originally posted by re14796
    As harsh as it sounds imagine working for such inflexibility?

One company around my way says if you can't make the interview time, that's set, that's it over, crikey I remember really believing someone once who told me there was only one round of interviews to see them still advertising 3 months later to my shame.

Keeping looking, you might have had a good escape.
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • neilio
    • By neilio 17th Mar 17, 7:51 AM
    • 183 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    neilio
    • 17th Mar 17, 7:51 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 7:51 AM
    Originally posted by keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    Crikey. That's a bit of an extreme attitude to take!

If they cannot change the interview to when you are off, then if you really want the interview, you'll have to come up with an excuse to take some time off. Doctor or dentist appointment? Sick day? Working from home/remotely day?
    • Bogalot
    • By Bogalot 17th Mar 17, 8:14 AM
    • 1,012 Posts
    • 2,564 Thanks
    Bogalot
    • 17th Mar 17, 8:14 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 8:14 AM
    As harsh as it sounds imagine working for such inflexibility?

One company around my way says if you can't make the interview time, that's set, that's it over, crikey I remember really believing someone once who told me there was only one round of interviews to see them still advertising 3 months later to my shame.

Originally posted by keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    Do you have any idea of how difficult it is to coordinate a recruitment campaign? The interviewers don't just sit around waiting for people, they've got their own jobs to do on top of the recruiting.

But you just keep telling yourself it's always someone else's fault
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 17th Mar 17, 10:24 AM
    • 4,066 Posts
    • 7,995 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:24 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:24 AM
    You've had it rearranged once, I would very much doubt you'd have a chance if you did it again. You'll come across as unreliable and flakey.

Just take a day of leave to do it or ask your old company to stick to your previous rota
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 17th Mar 17, 5:35 PM
    • 18,229 Posts
    • 18,345 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    Do you have any idea of how difficult it is to coordinate a recruitment campaign? The interviewers don't just sit around waiting for people, they've got their own jobs to do on top of the recruiting.
    Originally posted by Bogalot
    Exactly what I was going to say! It's a nightmare getting a recruitment panel together, and if any candidates can't make the (ideally previously advertised) interview date, it makes selection that much easier.
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • gettingready
    • By gettingready 17th Mar 17, 5:50 PM
    • 10,753 Posts
    • 16,113 Thanks
    gettingready
    It depends what level of job it is.

I did have interviews scheduled according to my availability in the past.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 17th Mar 17, 6:13 PM
    • 1,178 Posts
    • 1,430 Thanks
    shortcrust
    I'd do almost anything to avoid rearranging an interview, assuming I'd had plenty of notice. I think it strikes a really bad note. It creates trouble for the people you need to impress.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,062Posts Today

8,016Users online

Martin's Twitter