Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 16th Mar 17, 6:46 PM
    • 2,148Posts
    • 1,313Thanks
    Annie1960
    Composite front door
    • 16th Mar 17, 6:46 PM
    Composite front door 16th Mar 17 at 6:46 PM
    Any thoughts on composite front doors" I'm thinking of a mid-priced one, it will be south-facing so needs to be able to withstand full sun.

Does the colour matter? Will it fade in the sun? I'm considering grey.

Also, what about locks?

Any suggestions on what I should look for/good brands/ones to avoid etc.

And what are the pros and cons of whether or not to have a letterbox? Some modern doors seem not to have these, but a separate box attached to the wall for letters. How convenient are these?
    Last edited by Annie1960; 16-03-2017 at 7:44 PM.
Page 1
    • Chanes
    • By Chanes 16th Mar 17, 7:41 PM
    • 778 Posts
    • 460 Thanks
    Chanes
    • 16th Mar 17, 7:41 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 7:41 PM
    Rockdoor or Solidor. I have Rockdoors fitted and have never had any trouble with them. But I hear Solidor are good too.
    • missprice
    • By missprice 16th Mar 17, 7:49 PM
    • 3,087 Posts
    • 80,116 Thanks
    missprice
    • 16th Mar 17, 7:49 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 7:49 PM
    We have a rockdoor, fitted two years ago.
    It warped, we don't know why, as soon as they were notified they organised a replacement door and it was fitted, in two days.
    Now, my opinion only, is that sometimes things go wrong, but when a company sorts a fairly major problem like that in two days, it's good going.

They are checking/testing the old door and we may get to hear what was wrong with it.
    It was a white door but another house had brown doors which faded after about 6years.

Hth
    94 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 😥
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 16th Mar 17, 8:57 PM
    • 2,148 Posts
    • 1,313 Thanks
    Annie1960
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:57 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:57 PM
    What about Rehau?
    • thebaldwindowfitter
    • By thebaldwindowfitter 16th Mar 17, 10:37 PM
    • 1,413 Posts
    • 699 Thanks
    thebaldwindowfitter
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:37 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:37 PM
    seen many but still consider Rockdoor the best most others are made using Nhanya slabs from china .If south facing AVOID blue its the worst colour although most problems are caused when the sun is rising and setting due to no cloud cover
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
    • gamston
    • By gamston 17th Mar 17, 5:42 AM
    • 426 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    gamston
    • 17th Mar 17, 5:42 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 5:42 AM
    I fitted one about 4 yrs ago, got it from local company, its warpped top and bottom, it only gets the sun from 6-9 am
    we only use to close door on the latch not the top and bottom locks
    • keith969
    • By keith969 17th Mar 17, 6:03 AM
    • 1,148 Posts
    • 786 Thanks
    keith969
    • 17th Mar 17, 6:03 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 6:03 AM
    And what are the pros and cons of whether or not to have a letterbox? Some modern doors seem not to have these, but a separate box attached to the wall for letters. How convenient are these?
    Originally posted by Annie1960
    They tend to attract spiders and leaves so need regular cleaning. Personally I prefer a letterbox, with a flap both sides to eliminate draughts.
    Days are made with waterfall colours
    • JP1978
    • By JP1978 17th Mar 17, 6:17 AM
    • 165 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    JP1978
    • 17th Mar 17, 6:17 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 6:17 AM
    We had two doorstop doors fitted by a local windows & doors company and had no issues (although we were only in that house two years after fitting) - Anyway, for locks, take a look at the Yale Keyfree range that fit onto composite doors - the operate by either PIN code, remote fob or RFI key (and a normal key for backup). Good bit of kit
    • Furts
    • By Furts 17th Mar 17, 9:03 AM
    • 3,056 Posts
    • 1,925 Thanks
    Furts
    • 17th Mar 17, 9:03 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 9:03 AM
    DoorStop doors are diabolical, but they are much the same as loads of doors on the market.

Regarding colours, there is no definitive answer but the closer to white the safer you are likely to be. Taking my neighbourhood as an example there are faded brown, and red doors. There is also a defective blue door awaiting replacement and a defective brown one and a defective red one. All three are by different manufacturers.

Quality does not come as a given with composite doors, but you may be OK - there is an element of luck in this, coupled with how particular one is. Many consumers could not care less, so manufacturers and fitters play on this.

A letter box in the door means security of post, and ease of retrieving post. However it does not win favour with the passivhaus and air tightness people.

A low level letter box in a door is every ones no go area.
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 17th Mar 17, 9:23 AM
    • 2,148 Posts
    • 1,313 Thanks
    Annie1960
    I fitted one about 4 yrs ago, got it from local company, its warpped top and bottom, it only gets the sun from 6-9 am
    Originally posted by gamston

What brand and colour did you have?
    • smudger1964
    • By smudger1964 17th Mar 17, 1:55 PM
    • 620 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    smudger1964
    Had a composite rockdoor in black fitted by these people http://www.valuedoors.co.uk/composite-doors

A couple of years ago no problems with warping or colour loss still looks as good as when it was fitted
    • GT60
    • By GT60 19th Mar 17, 8:41 AM
    • 1,628 Posts
    • 923 Thanks
    GT60
    Heritage Trade frame doors are the same spec as a rock door Ultimate but without the extra reinforcement and much cheaper
    Spending my time reading how to fix PC's,instead of looking at Facebook.
    • samspam
    • By samspam 19th Mar 17, 10:38 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    samspam
    See my thread about my composite door!!!!
    If your house faces south do not get anything other than white!
    I am having terrible problems although my fitter assures me he has fitted hundreds with no issue, mine will not open when the sun is on it.
    I wish I hadn't bothered. However they are lovely, wish I had done more research before choosing mine.
    • thebaldwindowfitter
    • By thebaldwindowfitter 19th Mar 17, 1:17 PM
    • 1,413 Posts
    • 699 Thanks
    thebaldwindowfitter
    Heritage Trade frame doors are the same spec as a rock door Ultimate but without the extra reinforcement and much cheaper
    Originally posted by GT60
    No they are not they are nowhere near i have fitted both Rockdoor are far better .Heritage composite doors are made using door blanks which are cut down to suit the frame then the door is edged with metal edge where as Rockdoor are made bespoke from scratch
    Last edited by thebaldwindowfitter; 19-03-2017 at 1:20 PM.
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 19th Mar 17, 5:12 PM
    • 2,148 Posts
    • 1,313 Thanks
    Annie1960
    See my thread about my composite door!!!!
    If your house faces south do not get anything other than white!
    I am having terrible problems although my fitter assures me he has fitted hundreds with no issue, mine will not open when the sun is on it.
    I wish I hadn't bothered. However they are lovely, wish I had done more research before choosing mine.
    Originally posted by samspam
    I would really like anthracite grey. A couple of neighbours have these and they look good.

I may, however, get French grey as it's much lighter.

Directly south facing.
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 22nd Mar 17, 6:27 PM
    • 2,148 Posts
    • 1,313 Thanks
    Annie1960
    Originally posted by gamston
    I went to visit a door company today and they told me I have to always close the locks as it will warp otherwise.
    • samspam
    • By samspam 23rd Mar 17, 7:36 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    samspam
    I would really like anthracite grey. A couple of neighbours have these and they look good.

I may, however, get French grey as it's much lighter.

Directly south facing.
    Originally posted by Annie1960
    Mine is dark grey. The colour technically should not make a difference, however mine is warped and in direct sunlight. I would go lighter just to be on the safe side x
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 23rd Mar 17, 8:55 AM
    • 2,148 Posts
    • 1,313 Thanks
    Annie1960
    Mine is dark grey. The colour technically should not make a difference, however mine is warped and in direct sunlight. I would go lighter just to be on the safe side x
    Originally posted by samspam

I've been to visit a couple of local door/window companies.

When I asked them about problems, one said that it can sometimes happen if the door is fitted in very cold weather. Also, you get problems if you don't engage all the locks every time the door is closed as it can warp.

In any event, they said the door would be replaced if this happened. I'm looking at Solidors.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 23rd Mar 17, 9:57 AM
    • 9,994 Posts
    • 6,719 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    We had a composite door and double glazed side frame fitted locally about 3 years ago. Our barn faces due south and we don't have any issues. The door and frame are anthracite grey. I don't know the name of the door unfortunately but we don't have any issues with the sun on it.
    "I suggest you read who's thread this is and you will find its MINE". sic
    • beaker141
    • By beaker141 23rd Mar 17, 10:23 AM
    • 400 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    beaker141
    .If south facing AVOID blue its the worst colour although most problems are caused when the sun is rising and setting due to no cloud cover
    Originally posted by thebaldwindowfitter
    I had west facing and a Blue Rockdoor - it was replaced 3 times, not due to the whole door warping, but small sections of the beading against the glass warping and lifting away from the glass.

I changed it for Black in the end and thats been fine for several years.

I had no letter box, but do leave the keys in the lock overnight for ease of exit if there was a problem.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,417Posts Today

8,651Users online

Martin's Twitter