Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 16th Mar 17, 7:26 PM
    • 6,586Posts
    • 29,651Thanks
    charlies_mum
    Ebay down detector
    • 16th Mar 17, 7:26 PM
    Ebay down detector 16th Mar 17 at 7:26 PM
    Very quiet day again today and when I checked the down detector, the whole of the U.K is under a massive red dot

I don't know what it's based on, or even if it's accurate, but every day the uk is either covered in orange or red

People are now saying that they are contacting Watchdog to complain.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
Page 2
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 18th Mar 17, 9:30 AM
    • 6,586 Posts
    • 29,651 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    Some people are saying that they have downloaded Opera and using the VPN mode clears the loading problems. It also has a built in ad blocker, so off to have a look at it

EDIT. Downloaded Opera, and eBay much faster now. However, Amazon doesn't like it and refers me back to Chrome Firefox, IE and Safari.
    Last edited by charlies_mum; 18-03-2017 at 9:52 AM.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 18th Mar 17, 12:38 PM
    • 58,989 Posts
    • 41,794 Thanks
    soolin
    I'll have o look at Opera.

Strangely enough once again I'm having a good Saturday, in the 'old days' I would have advised sellers to avoid Saturday finishes as eBay is always dead, yet I've had 7 sales already today and it's only 12.30! For me Sunday's always used to be very good, but recently I barely make a sale. I wonder if this indicates a volume/ browsing issue?
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 18th Mar 17, 2:53 PM
    • 10,393 Posts
    • 58,257 Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Now that I am back listing alot on eBay. I am finding that my sales come in batches.. and I am getting a more than average amount of overseas sales.

I have had 5 sales with 2 hours this morning. Now nothing..
    Work to live= not live to work
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 18th Mar 17, 4:15 PM
    • 1,725 Posts
    • 2,298 Thanks
    comeandgo
    I have only started using e bay for selling off some clothes I bought and never quite fitted into. Most of the items are new with tags. I did a small survey today and I would say less than 5% of auction clothes are actually sold, I counted 35 items in a row with no bidders. Would this be due to time of year, the weather, the rugby?
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 18th Mar 17, 4:18 PM
    • 4,326 Posts
    • 3,726 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    I have only started using e bay for selling off some clothes I bought and never quite fitted into. Most of the items are new with tags. I did a small survey today and I would say less than 5% of auction clothes are actually sold, I counted 35 items in a row with no bidders. Would this be due to time of year, the weather, the rugby?
    Originally posted by comeandgo
    Auctions are dead. Unless you have something highly desirable that you start at 99p you will have little interest. People just want to buy it now.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 18th Mar 17, 4:27 PM
    • 58,989 Posts
    • 41,794 Thanks
    soolin
    Auctions are dead. Unless you have something highly desirable that you start at 99p you will have little interest. People just want to buy it now.
    Originally posted by mrcol1000
    I have to agree. I have bought three items today and didn't even look at auctions, I went straight to BIN and bought from business sellers there.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • soolin
    • By soolin 19th Mar 17, 1:26 PM
    • 58,989 Posts
    • 41,794 Thanks
    soolin
    As an update to my post yesterday something is certainly up. I've sold 27 things already this weekend which is probably my best weekend for well over a year. I don't care if people think the conspiracy theories are rubbish, I can't explain why I dropped down to 3 or 4 things a day and now suddenly sell this much, it's not end of the month or anything. It feels like someone has switched me back on- and I'm spending the afternoon hurriedly adding more stock while it lasts!
    New to Forum? Guide
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 19th Mar 17, 4:50 PM
    • 6,586 Posts
    • 29,651 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    Glad you're having a good run, enjoy it while it lasts. I'm still finding it quiet on eBay, but I have had a few sales on Amazon and have tried listing a few items on Etsy. I didn't realise you could list anything vintage on there so might try some more bits. Incidentally it was thanks to an eBay suggestion that I had a look on Etsy. Madness !!!

Checked the down detector again today and it's still all orange, but I suppose your sales disprove that.
    • luvvlyjubbly
    • By luvvlyjubbly 20th Mar 17, 8:55 AM
    • 2,348 Posts
    • 2,649 Thanks
    luvvlyjubbly
    I've followed this advice written by someone on the down site and it does seemed to have helped a bit

Like many other Virgin Media customers I have been having the whirling wheel nightmare for nearly a month. Calls to ebay / Virgin are pointless. I figured this out myself. You need to do a DNS flush. Exact procedure will depend on your operating system but it's easy enough, just google it for your O/S just done mine & the whirling wheel has gone, fingers crossed it stays that way!
    Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid doing altogether.
    • Brooker Dave
    • By Brooker Dave 20th Mar 17, 9:36 AM
    • 4,830 Posts
    • 3,120 Thanks
    Brooker Dave
    As an update to my post yesterday something is certainly up. I've sold 27 things already this weekend which is probably my best weekend for well over a year. I don't care if people think the conspiracy theories are rubbish, I can't explain why I dropped down to 3 or 4 things a day and now suddenly sell this much, it's not end of the month or anything. It feels like someone has switched me back on- and I'm spending the afternoon hurriedly adding more stock while it lasts!
    Originally posted by soolin
    Pay day has arrived for the buying public?
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
    • bigalec2
    • By bigalec2 20th Mar 17, 11:19 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bigalec2
    Sold a few items over the weekend and have been trying to print postage labels, keep getting asked to enter a security code over and over until I eventually get "System unavailable. Please try again later!"
    Very annoying
    Last edited by bigalec2; 20-03-2017 at 11:42 AM.
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 20th Mar 17, 12:38 PM
    • 6,586 Posts
    • 29,651 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    Dead as a dodo again today and checking the down detector there is a big orange dot over the uk

Surely eBay must be breaking the law by charging for a service they're not providing ?

There is some speculation that ebays servers can't cope with the volume of traffic, so why are they giving all 'private' sellers100 free listings per day ??
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 23rd Mar 17, 7:24 PM
    • 6,586 Posts
    • 29,651 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    We have just had two auctions finish. Both had 30 watchers and received a bid earlier today they both sold for the initial bid

The U.K. Again is under a big red dot. Coincidence ??
    • soolin
    • By soolin 23rd Mar 17, 7:49 PM
    • 58,989 Posts
    • 41,794 Thanks
    soolin
    Well after an absolutely stunning weekend I'm now back to dead as a dodo. Yesterday I didn't even sell anything at all.

I'm just about to start a thread about Shpock (I got desperate)
    New to Forum? Guide
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 23rd Mar 17, 7:55 PM
    • 6,586 Posts
    • 29,651 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    Surely eBay have to come forward and make a statement about what's going on. The eBay selling boards are full of threads of sellers complaining about lack of sales and glitches and all eBay do is put their prices up
    • soolin
    • By soolin 23rd Mar 17, 7:57 PM
    • 58,989 Posts
    • 41,794 Thanks
    soolin
    Surely eBay have to come forward and make a statement about what's going on. The eBay selling boards are full of threads of sellers complaining about lack of sales and glitches and all eBay do is put their prices up
    Originally posted by charlies_mum
    They could go into free fall and they would still be blaming us sellers. The problem is some sellers are still doing very well for some reason, at the weekend I literally couldn't pack the stuff as fast as it was selling and I got though loads of posting sacks as I sold so much.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 23rd Mar 17, 8:02 PM
    • 6,586 Posts
    • 29,651 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    They could go into free fall and they would still be blaming us sellers. The problem is some sellers are still doing very well for some reason, at the weekend I literally couldn't pack the stuff as fast as it was selling and I got though loads of posting sacks as I sold so much.
    Originally posted by soolin
    But there's no rhyme or reason to it. You has a fab weekend (well done) but you don't know why or what you can do to replicate

Be a Top Rated Seller they said, give free delivery and one day despatch When that didn't work they said "try a promotion, buyers love promotions". Tried that, it didn't work either.

When Chinese sellers and "private" sellers rate higher in the listings than TRS, what's the point ?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,149Posts Today

9,858Users online

Martin's Twitter