Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 16th Mar 17, 7:26 PM
    • 6,601Posts
    • 29,659Thanks
    charlies_mum
    Ebay down detector
    • 16th Mar 17, 7:26 PM
    Ebay down detector 16th Mar 17 at 7:26 PM
    Very quiet day again today and when I checked the down detector, the whole of the U.K is under a massive red dot

I don't know what it's based on, or even if it's accurate, but every day the uk is either covered in orange or red

People are now saying that they are contacting Watchdog to complain.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
Page 1
    • soolin
    • By soolin 16th Mar 17, 7:30 PM
    • 59,081 Posts
    • 41,871 Thanks
    soolin
    • 16th Mar 17, 7:30 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 7:30 PM
    I'd been having some fairly good days, but after a late sale yesterday at about 10.30pm I had absolutely no more until about an hour ago. A full shop, lots of MVLs and one sale all day!

Also I've been trying to list and the pages couldn't run any slower without actually stopping.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • KitKatMum2
    • By KitKatMum2 16th Mar 17, 7:43 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 852 Thanks
    KitKatMum2
    • 16th Mar 17, 7:43 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 7:43 PM
    I've been trying to buy a couple of things today, I was browsing and persistently getting 'the page you are looking for does not exist' - especially when clicking to check a seller's feedback or other items for sale. Gave up and went to Amazon I'm afraid
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 16th Mar 17, 9:35 PM
    • 4,348 Posts
    • 3,742 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:35 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:35 PM
    Down Dector monitors Facebook and Twitter to see who is complaining about what. It also takes reports direct. It is usually quick to pick up on problems but slow to pick up on when things are sorted
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 17th Mar 17, 8:25 AM
    • 6,601 Posts
    • 29,659 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    • 17th Mar 17, 8:25 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 8:25 AM
    Just checked, and again the whole of the U.K. Is covered by a big orange dot

Don't know what's going on, but eBay seem to be having serious problems. Numerous glitches and a useless search engine, I fear it's going to completely collapse

Bet if I phone CS I'll be told I'm the only one having problems, and to clear my cookies.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 17th Mar 17, 8:31 AM
    • 59,081 Posts
    • 41,871 Thanks
    soolin
    • 17th Mar 17, 8:31 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 8:31 AM

Don't know what's going on, but eBay seem to be having serious problems. Numerous glitches and a useless search engine, I fear it's going to completely collapse

Bet if I phone CS I'll be told I'm the only one having problems, and to clear my cookies.
    Originally posted by charlies_mum
    I made one more sale yesterday evening but to the US and within 20 minutes of me listing the item, so perhaps the US can see us but not other UK buyers?

As I ship next day I have to trudge all the way to the PO just for 2 measly packages today.

I did have one result yesterday though, but on Facebook where traditionally I do poorly. I actually had someone pay by bank transfer for an item which I posted yesterday, and then, and this was a shock, someone actually turned up to collect something exactly at the time stated. It is unheard of for someone to actually turn up and not have car issues, child issues or just completely ignore me! So 2 Facebook sales yesterday, no fees no real hassle and 2 ebay sales for which I pay a shop subscription, PayPal and ebay fees.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • This Year
    • By This Year 17th Mar 17, 8:58 AM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 5,264 Thanks
    This Year
    • 17th Mar 17, 8:58 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 8:58 AM

That explains another extremely quiet night where my Amazon sales have far outstripped eBay sales.
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 17th Mar 17, 10:28 AM
    • 6,601 Posts
    • 29,659 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:28 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:28 AM
    Down Dector monitors Facebook and Twitter to see who is complaining about what. It also takes reports direct. It is usually quick to pick up on problems but slow to pick up on when things are sorted
    Originally posted by mrcol1000
    I checked both Facebook and Twitter and there isn't a negative comment in sight. Are they being removed ?
    • Terrysdelight
    • By Terrysdelight 17th Mar 17, 11:03 AM
    • 916 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    Terrysdelight
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:03 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:03 AM
    Sorry, what is this Ebay Down Detector stuff? I've never heard of it.

Currently I'm clearing through 20 years of hording!! Moving house. I've listed 40 items and I'm really surprised at how low the lack of 'views' are. So far - I'm into the 5th day of listing - 7 day auction and only 4 items will definitely sell. The prices are really low too.
    • Ting-Tang
    • By Ting-Tang 17th Mar 17, 11:25 AM
    • 106 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    Ting-Tang
    Ebay is running absolutely awfully at the moment in every way and nobody's even looking at my stuff never mind buying it.

Never mind, if our sales are suffering due to their rubbish system maybe they'll refund some of our fees....Whoops! Just slipped into a dreamworld there!
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 17th Mar 17, 11:41 AM
    • 6,601 Posts
    • 29,659 Thanks
    charlies_mum

Never mind, if our sales are suffering due to their rubbish system maybe they'll refund some of our fees....Whoops! Just slipped into a dreamworld there!
    Originally posted by Ting-Tang
    You would hope so, but eBay as usual has buried it's head in the sand and think it's actually a good time to INCREASE their prices
    • Brywalker
    • By Brywalker 17th Mar 17, 12:29 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    Brywalker
    I truly can't understand this. There are similar posts on the ebay forums about the site running slow but my sales have never stalled and yesterday was a very good day for sales. Weird.
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 17th Mar 17, 1:11 PM
    • 6,601 Posts
    • 29,659 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    I truly can't understand this. There are similar posts on the ebay forums about the site running slow but my sales have never stalled and yesterday was a very good day for sales. Weird.
    Originally posted by Brywalker
    There may be a common denominator - Virgin Media. Some people are speculating that there is a problem between Virgin and EBay. I am using Virgin, but surely not all the buyers are
    • soolin
    • By soolin 17th Mar 17, 2:22 PM
    • 59,081 Posts
    • 41,871 Thanks
    soolin
    There may be a common denominator - Virgin Media. Some people are speculating that there is a problem between Virgin and EBay. I am using Virgin, but surely not all the buyers are
    Ah, I'm also on Virgin.

About 6 weeks ago I bought a new PC purely because eBay wouldn't load at all and my whole PC would stick. My new PC runs very well, except for eBay, most of the time I could go and make a cup of tea while I wait for pages to load..so perhaps it isn't me!
    New to Forum? Guide
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 17th Mar 17, 2:24 PM
    • 10,884 Posts
    • 7,296 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    I have seen there are various posts about ebay and virgin, but I have to say on BT it's not much better. I've tried listing new stock today and I'm getting a 45-60 second hang between pages.
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 17th Mar 17, 2:37 PM
    • 6,601 Posts
    • 29,659 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    I think the delay is due to "eBay long script running" but there's no way to disable it
    • soolin
    • By soolin 17th Mar 17, 3:30 PM
    • 59,081 Posts
    • 41,871 Thanks
    soolin
    I think the delay is due to "eBay long script running" but there's no way to disable it
    On Firefox I get a warning every time I change page in ebay saying I can't progress due to a long running script- I've got so used to it I am ready to click 'stop running' each time without even thinking about it. Strangely I don't get it on 'Edge' but in Edge ebay runs even slower.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 17th Mar 17, 10:44 PM
    • 1,236 Posts
    • 1,631 Thanks
    Kim_13
    I'm on Virgin and managed to purchase a BIN this afternoon, so hopefully it's not affecting buyers. That said it made me change my password (said the one I was entering was wrong and it was definitely correct.)
    Sealed Pot 10 #520 ~ ~£66.55/£100
    VSP 2017 #9 ~ £41.40/£250.00
    CCCC 2017 #1 ~ £179.71/£120.00
    EF #170 ~ £500
    Xmas 2017 #25 ~ £5/£365
    365 Day Penny Challenge #4 ~ £17.31/£667.95
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 18th Mar 17, 7:55 AM
    • 6,601 Posts
    • 29,659 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    Big orange dot over the uk again this morning. This is rediculous, what are we paying eBay for ?
    • soolin
    • By soolin 18th Mar 17, 8:33 AM
    • 59,081 Posts
    • 41,871 Thanks
    soolin
    Big orange dot over the uk again this morning. This is rediculous, what are we paying eBay for ?
    I'm sitting here waiting and twiddling my thumbs trying to counter offer on a BIN, but am struggling to load the page........

EDIT: I'm glad I was patient and waited to see the feedback left by the bidder making the offer - over 75% of feedback left has been negs and neutrals 'too big' 'too small' 'rude seller' 'arrived late' 'don't like it' 'not what I wanted'. Sorry, offer declined and buyer blocked.
    Last edited by soolin; 18-03-2017 at 9:20 AM.
    New to Forum? Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,470Posts Today

7,472Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin