Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pamrleader
    • By pamrleader 16th Mar 17, 6:35 PM
    • 20Posts
    • 41Thanks
    pamrleader
    Dentist didn't advise me of costs...help!
    • 16th Mar 17, 6:35 PM
    Dentist didn't advise me of costs...help! 16th Mar 17 at 6:35 PM
    Hi, just wondered if anyone could advise me. I went to the dentist last week and she said I grind my teeth. She asked if I wanted a mouth guard. I said yes. She took an impression of my lower teeth and that was it. I paid for my NHS check up and left. Well, I just phoned up now whilst noticing my insurance doesn't pay for any type of mouth guard and they told me that it would be in Band 3 and would cost 233.

I said I was not told of the cost (and naively I didn't ask) so I need it to be cancelled as I can't afford it.

The receptionist told me to phone back Monday when the dentist is back in. I am not paying that, plus I was not told and never signed anything. Can the dentist do anything to make me pay, like send an invoice or something?

I am shocked that my dentist didn't have the decency to tell me how much it would cost, it came across that it was no big deal.

Any advice would be great, this is kind of freaking me out!

Thanks
Page 2
    • brook2jack
    • By brook2jack 19th Mar 17, 10:20 AM
    • 3,945 Posts
    • 3,567 Thanks
    brook2jack
    Assuming the OP has not signed the fp17dc form then, as I read what you are saying, the dentist is at fault?

Why then should the patient be disadvantaged (i.e refused further treatment) because the dentist didn't do their job properly?

Sorry but "too many forms" or the NHS is terrible to dentists just doesn't cut it. Either they should do their contracted job properly or not at all surely?
    Originally posted by Undervalued
    The dentist noticed damage, suggested treatment , the op agreed and impressions were taken.

Yes the dentist was at fault not giving a quote , but op did not ask the cost of the treatment until a week later when it became clear that their insurance would not pay.

The work on the night guard would have already been started and , probably , finished. The dentist would now be liable for the laboratory costs etc.

The dentist may well offer to have the bite guard as a private treatment at a lesser cost. We and the OP don't know.

However OP has indicated they will refuse to pay "on principle".

The treatment is necessary , op agreed to it , they knew there would be a charge . The dentist did not inform them , but neither did op chase this up until a week later when it was too late to cancel the work.

If OP is refusing to pay anything and the dentist has paid the lab fees for the appliance which OP agreed was needed then the relationship between dentist and OP may have broken down . The treatment was agreed, op knew there was a cost but did not ask as they assumed it would be covered by their insurance. It was only when it became clear that the insurance would not cover the cost that op then asked about charges. There is blame on both sides.

Dentistry , even on the NHS , can seem expensive but in this case it can cost an awful lot more to fix the damage if advice is not followed.
    Last edited by brook2jack; 19-03-2017 at 10:34 AM.
    • Finefoot
    • By Finefoot 24th Mar 17, 9:00 PM
    • 605 Posts
    • 767 Thanks
    Finefoot
    My night guard was only 70!
    What is yours made of?
    1650 so far this year reclaimed from Lloyds bank.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,039Posts Today

5,886Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin