Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • depressed_but_determined
    • By depressed_but_determined 16th Mar 17, 5:52 PM
    • 120Posts
    • 195Thanks
    depressed_but_determined
    A very happy ending....
    • 16th Mar 17, 5:52 PM
    A very happy ending.... 16th Mar 17 at 5:52 PM
    I was going to wait before posting this but it's such a nice story I wanted to share.
    I had a wee rant on here and Mumsnet a few weeks ago about the nightmare we are having trying to get on the property ladder in Glasgow. offers over, closing dates and bidding wars!
    A lovely lady who was a member on mumsnet told her sister about me and she was about to start the process of selling her house. She joined mumsnet specially to message me. 3 bed gorgeous house in our ideal area. I thought it was too good to be true.
    Skip to 3 weeks later, we have visited and got the home report and last night she accepted our offer! No estate agent, no offers over just a mutual agreement sealed with a hug, she has made our dreams come true. She even broke out a bottle of Moet and Chandon to celebrate with us! My hubbie gave me a row for accepting lol but we will definitely return the kindness.
    I just wanted to show what lovely things can happen, I can't really believe it myself. Mortgage was already agreed as we had to pull out of a sale.
    I do so much for others, it's amazing to see some kindness shown to us.
    I really hope I can do the same for someone else one day!
    Just spreading the love
    LBM: 09/12/2008
    36000 0 on 4 cards and a personal loan. Debt Remedy. Signed with CCCS on 14/01/2009 started Feb 2009. Finished March 2016

Lessons learned and facing the struggle have made my life better than I ever thought it could be. Thank you Stepchange and DFW forum
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 16th Mar 17, 8:12 PM
    • 39,276 Posts
    • 44,638 Thanks
    G_M
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:12 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:12 PM
    I'm so pleased to hear the lady gave you a happy ending.
    • Chanes
    • By Chanes 16th Mar 17, 8:18 PM
    • 824 Posts
    • 504 Thanks
    Chanes
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:18 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:18 PM
    Brilliant, that's a good news story and we don't see enough of them. Enjoy your home.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 16th Mar 17, 8:54 PM
    • 2,195 Posts
    • 2,433 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:54 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:54 PM
    I'm so pleased to hear the lady gave you a happy ending.
    Originally posted by G_M
    Detention for you.

OP, I'm glad you've got something, and I know exactly how you have felt during the house hunt process. Sometimes it feels literally impossible to secure a home doesn't it? I'm so glad we're not hunting any more. You see the home of your dreams, within budget, and it feels like everything is transpiring to stop you getting it.

Which part of Glasgow is it in? I wish more poeple would deal 1-1 with buyers and accept good honest offers instead of the way things are done at present.
    • Mrs36
    • By Mrs36 16th Mar 17, 8:59 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    Mrs36
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:59 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:59 PM
    Thats lovely O/P, its really nice to hear some good house buying news.
    • depressed_but_determined
    • By depressed_but_determined 16th Mar 17, 9:34 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    depressed_but_determined
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:34 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:34 PM
    Hi glasgowdan I'm in knightswood and the market moves so fast! All the houses we looked at within budget went way over the valuation so we have been so lucky
    Wish it was like that all the time. It's a wee bit awkward talking about money when it's more personal but you both need to know what you can afford/take.
    Pretty excited but just need everything to come together then we can properly celebrate
    LBM: 09/12/2008
    36000 0 on 4 cards and a personal loan. Debt Remedy. Signed with CCCS on 14/01/2009 started Feb 2009. Finished March 2016

Lessons learned and facing the struggle have made my life better than I ever thought it could be. Thank you Stepchange and DFW forum
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 16th Mar 17, 9:57 PM
    • 2,195 Posts
    • 2,433 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:57 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:57 PM
    Ace. Yes, we are in East Dunbartonshire and it's the same. Making offers 15% above the offers over in Bearsden, Lenzie and not getting them, and seeing houses go on market, calling up the same day to be told they're already under offer, then trying to get agents to contact us before things go to market to be told no, they don't do that! Drove us batsh*t mental.
    • ognum
    • By ognum 17th Mar 17, 8:02 AM
    • 4,429 Posts
    • 6,587 Thanks
    ognum
    • 17th Mar 17, 8:02 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 8:02 AM
    I have just sold (subject to contract) a flat. We had multiple offers and in the end choose an offer from a first time buyer as opposed to a foreign buy to let investor who actually offered 2% more.

i hope we have made the right choice but it feels right to be helping someone get their first home.
    • jlaw4
    • By jlaw4 17th Mar 17, 9:56 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    jlaw4
    • 17th Mar 17, 9:56 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 9:56 AM
    Thanks for sharing! I'm house hunting in manchester and its crazy! seeing this story gives me hope that i will get there in the end!

I always say that what goes around comes around, it was probably your turn to get some kindness

Good luck & enjoy it!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

242Posts Today

2,058Users online

Martin's Twitter