Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Llerryt
    • By Llerryt 16th Mar 17, 5:31 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 11Thanks
    Llerryt
    Advice on selling
    • 16th Mar 17, 5:31 PM
    Advice on selling 16th Mar 17 at 5:31 PM
    Hi,

Hoping to get some constructive advice really been on the market for a month or so, and struggling with getting viewers through the door.

Can't post a link , but a search for a three bed detached in gl46ty Should. Direct you to it.

Thanks in Advance
Page 2
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 16th Mar 17, 10:27 PM
    • 2,656 Posts
    • 3,628 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    Having a quick look through Rightmove, there's only a handfull of detached houses up to 250k, starting at 200, within a 3 mile radius. Of the area we are in, it was a new development, built in 1999, mix of 2 3 and 4 beds, mostly terraced and semis. Roughly 10% are detached, and ours was the last 3 bed detached that sold when we last bought it.

I know I'm being defensive and everything being said so far does make sense, but cant see why people aren't looking at least.

Guess it's more waiting with crossed fingers for someone who wants out place.
    Originally posted by Llerryt
    You are just looking at the immediate area that your house is in the new estate. But how do you get to the new houses? You have to come through a large council estate. It is that council estate that is putting people off paying a lot of money for a 3 bed detached. You bought it cheap needing money spent on it but if it had been in a desirable area you wouldn't have got it much cheaper than one in good condition because there is more competition for houses in desirable areas. The only reason why someone will buy in your area is because your house is cheap which is why you bought it. The 4 bed sold because it was cheap for a 4 bed detached.

What you need to do is to work out what the difference there is in size between your house and the 3 bed semis. I suspect not much because when I looked at the floor plan your house is the standard layout of a modern 3 bed semi detached house. This makes the only difference between it and a 3 bed semi or end of terrace on your estate of a garage and a non attached wall. You then have to ask yourself how many people will want to pay £60k extra for a wall that isn't joined to next door and a garage. How well it is done up inside probably won't make a huge difference because what you have done inside is to your personal taste and you don't get extra money for your taste. You get extra money for a big extension to make the house into a 4 bed detached.

What you can't change about this house is the location that it is in and the approach to the estate. A house in this location will have a top price.
    • dlmcr
    • By dlmcr 16th Mar 17, 10:28 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    dlmcr
    As a buyer, and I check these things, what would really really put me off is the huge increase in price between 125k in 2012 and 210k in 2017, it is an extraordinary increase - to be honest I don't care what condition it was in in 2012, it can't have been that bad since it looks relatively modern. How can a bit of decoration and some diy attract such a huge mark up? I know 2012 wasn't exactly the height of the boom and there have been price increases, but seriously...? Anything like that kind of increase in price outside around London rings huge alarm bells for me sorry. Due to this I wouldn't even view - and I suspect other potential viewers will feel similarly.
    • Mrs36
    • By Mrs36 17th Mar 17, 6:43 AM
    • 110 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    Mrs36
    I agree with everything that Cakeguts has said.

Only a handful is still competition O/P, and not everyone will want to look at your sort of development. If you are struggling to get viewers, while other houses are selling around you then you really need to ask if your pricing is realistic. I understand your defensiveness, but will you still be as defensive in six months time when you are still struggling for viewers?

I would not be put off by the increase in price as dlmcr mentions, but I would not be offering anywhere near asking price in that scenario.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 17th Mar 17, 9:04 AM
    • 29,436 Posts
    • 17,592 Thanks
    getmore4less
    More like this SSTC

gives an idea of what has been selling close by

how does this compare

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-57775801.html

or this

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-46462197.html

looking at the sold prices there is not a load of similar
    sold 1year 1/2mile

people are buying 3 bed semis.
    • easilydistracted
    • By easilydistracted 17th Mar 17, 9:40 AM
    • 458 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    easilydistracted
    Looking at your photos I would assume that the missing bedroom or bedrooms are the smaller ones and that the bathroom is dodgy. I wouldn't view on that basis. You are going to have do something to get good photos of them if you want to sell as rest is lovely
    • Mrs36
    • By Mrs36 17th Mar 17, 10:05 AM
    • 110 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    Mrs36
    You are assuming that they sold for full asking price, you need to go on actual, real sold prices.

You can show us links all day long, but for whatever reason people prefer those properties to yours. If the reduction doesn't bring a boat load of viewers through the door and at that point you aren't prepared to consider that the price may still be too high then you will have to wait for that one person who wants YOUR house over any others.

I appreciate that YOU feel your house is worth that, but the lack of viewings says otherwise. Hopefully the reduction and featured property listing will bring new interest.
    Last edited by Mrs36; 17-03-2017 at 10:08 AM.
    • Llerryt
    • By Llerryt 17th Mar 17, 10:27 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Llerryt
    Thanks

The couple of links of houses nearby we see as similar to ours, the first seemed cheap, for house slightly smaller and sold very fast. The 2nd, on at 215 is where we see ours being really, that one larger, older house, but on a very busy main road, ours is set back, away from the traffic.

Of the missing bedroom, it is the master bedroom without the photo, with en suite shower, but as I posted before, photos do no justice to it what so ever, and every image made the room look dark. That's why we left it out.

Im hoping the better weather brings out some new house hunters.
    • Bigrachel
    • By Bigrachel 17th Mar 17, 10:30 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Bigrachel
    Who took the pictures?

It is usually just a case of waiting. Someone will come! I would suggest trying to brighten up the pictures a little (if you know what you're doing).
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 17th Mar 17, 12:45 PM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 4,110 Thanks
    Penitent
    Of the missing bedroom, it is the master bedroom without the photo, with en suite shower, but as I posted before, photos do no justice to it what so ever, and every image made the room look dark. That's why we left it out.
    As a general rule, a bad photo is better than no photo, as no photo makes folk assume the worst.

Looking at the photos, I'd assumed that the double bedroom was the master. The angle makes it look like you've just about fit a double in it, but need to squeeze around the edges to get in, and that you needed to put storage over the bed 'cause there's nowhere else for it to go. (Checking the details, your master is actually even smaller than this room.)

For some reason, the smaller room also looks smaller than I thought it would be from the measurements. Our smallest room is 10'8" x 6'0", yours is 11'10" x 6'8, but we have as much floorspace as you despite having a large single bed, a large chest of drawers and a small chest of drawers in ours. It gives me the impression that the measurements are a bit "enthusiastic".

Even the outside picture of the house, with the narrow part poking out toward the camera, gives an impression of it being pokey. (I also suspect some won't be keen on having a streetlight right outside their bedroom window.)

Is the house actually pokey, or is it just the photos not doing it justice? If it's the latter, can the EA redo the photos?
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 17th Mar 17, 1:02 PM
    • 2,656 Posts
    • 3,628 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-57775801.html This one is a nicer looking house than yours. It is also vacant so a buyer isn't waiting for someone to move out and best of all it has a neutral decoration which is what sells houses because personal taste can put people off. No one is going to pay you for your personal taste.

Your selling price should be based on what this house sold for because that is the value of a 3 bed detached house in your area.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 17th Mar 17, 1:14 PM
    • 2,656 Posts
    • 3,628 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    Thanks

The couple of links of houses nearby we see as similar to ours, the first seemed cheap, for house slightly smaller and sold very fast. The 2nd, on at 215 is where we see ours being really, that one larger, older house, but on a very busy main road, ours is set back, away from the traffic.

Im hoping the better weather brings out some new house hunters.
    You cannot compare your house to the one on the main road. You have to compare your house to the other small modern 3 bed house close by. The one on the main road is probably about twice the size of your house and on a plot that is at least twice the size. The main road is not the most desirable position but your house is also not in a desirable area. It may be set back from the road but it is in the middle of a huge council estate. The council estate is a problem. You can buy a house for £210 that is not anywhere near a council estate. For many people the location is more important than whether a house is detached or not.

If you buy a cheap house you have to be prepared to sell it cheap. Houses are cheap for a reason. Your house had two reasons. 1 The location. 2 It needed decorating. Number 2 you can change. Number 1 you can't. The location is the main reason for the price of a house. The fewer people who want to live in a particular location the lower the price. The more people trying to live in a particular location the higher the price. A small terraced house in a prime location will cost more than a detached house in a non desirable location.
    You have a detached house in a non desirable location. You can tell this because people have been paying more for semi detached houses in other parts of Gloucester. Your buyer will be someone who doesn't have enough money to buy a house in a more desirable location. So your price has to be lower than a 3 bed house of the same size somewhere else. The people who sold the detached 3 bed house that is more attractive to look at than yours got this right and they have sold the house. You have got it wrong and you haven't had any offers. It is that simple.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 17th Mar 17, 1:42 PM
    • 2,656 Posts
    • 3,628 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-46978695.html Here is what I think of your house from the point of view of me buying it.

I wouldn't buy it because I personally wouldn't pay extra for a detached house that is the same size as the local semis. For me a detached house has to be bigger. Anyway here goes.

I don't like the colour of the decoration in the living room I would have to repaint it.

I don't like the fire surround or the fire. So I would change that.

The kitchen is obviously very small because a large fridge won't fit in it and it needs repainting because it has that strange green/brown paint on the walls.

One of the bedrooms has strange cupboards above the head of the bed and those would have to go because I am tall and I could keep banging my head on the corner of them when making the bed. The wall paper in there is horrible.

The small bedroom has a strange shelf attached to the wall with a television above it. That room will need redecorating because I would want to use that room as a bedroom and so don't need the shelf or television in it. I am a bit worried about that room because it looks too small to be a bedroom and I can't imagine what it would look like with a bed in it. I don't want to find that I am having to pay £210k for 3 bed house where the 3rd bedroom is too small for a bed.

The bathroom has a shower attachment on the taps. This is a £210k detached house and there isn't even a proper shower over the bath with a plastic shower door just this cheap thing on the bath taps.

There is no photo of the en suite so I can only guess how cheap the fittings are in there.

The back garden is a mess with a strange bit of decking and paved area and what looks like chicken wire round the plants. There is obviously and eye sore behind the fence because they have tried to screen it with trees and bamboo screening.

I can see that the house backs onto a council estate.

So the house need redecorating it needs to have the bathroom updated, and it needs something done about that cheap fire surround and fire in the living room. The garden needs to have some attention. The third bedroom is too small for a bed because there isn't one in there.

I don't think I will bother to view because it is too expensive for a house on a council estate and it is too small for what they are asking since it isn't a 3 bed house it is only a 2 1/2 bed house and it needs a lot of money spent on it.

There is a reason why estate agents tell sellers to use neutral colours like cream to decorate a house for sale. I don't like your taste in decoration so I am not going to pay you extra for it.
    Last edited by Cakeguts; 17-03-2017 at 1:45 PM.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 17th Mar 17, 2:10 PM
    • 29,436 Posts
    • 17,592 Thanks
    getmore4less
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-57775801.html This one is a nicer looking house than yours. It is also vacant so a buyer isn't waiting for someone to move out and best of all it has a neutral decoration which is what sells houses because personal taste can put people off. No one is going to pay you for your personal taste.

Your selling price should be based on what this house sold for because that is the value of a 3 bed detached house in your area.
    Originally posted by Cakeguts
    and that one had a very small master

BEDROOM 1
    0' 0'' x 0' 0'' (0.00m x 0.00m)
    UPVC double glazed window to front, radiator, T.V point, door to en-suite.
    • Llerryt
    • By Llerryt 17th Mar 17, 3:11 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Llerryt
    Thanks for some feedback cake, I guess taste is where some view and some don't.

Yeah, no shower over the bath, however there is an en suite with shower with shower cubicle, so didn't feel the need when we moved in,small bedroom has a full sized day bed in it already, so would probobly look a similar size with a bed in it as it does now. Yes, but of bamboo screen around decked area, but there to prevent dogs jumping from the decking into the neighbours garden, not because of an eye sore. Chicken wire, yeah, easy way to stop dogs from ripping up plants, used to separate parts of garden. Guess our taste isn't gonna be for everyone, but then again, how hard is it to walk into a house that is perfect for you?

Get more4less, agree, thought the master bedroom in that house was a bit on the small side too,
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 17th Mar 17, 3:55 PM
    • 2,656 Posts
    • 3,628 Thanks
    Cakeguts

Yeah, no shower over the bath, however there is an en suite with shower with shower cubicle, so didn't feel the need when we moved in,small bedroom has a full sized day bed in it already, so would probobly look a similar size with a bed in it as it does now. Yes, but of bamboo screen around decked area, but there to prevent dogs jumping from the decking into the neighbours garden, not because of an eye sore. Chicken wire, yeah, easy way to stop dogs from ripping up plants, used to separate parts of garden. Guess our taste isn't gonna be for everyone, but then again, how hard is it to walk into a house that is perfect for you?

Get more4less, agree, thought the master bedroom in that house was a bit on the small side
    too,
    So you are waiting for someone who has the same taste in decoration as you have? How many viewers are you prepared to lose in order for that to happen?

What is your target market? Is this a family home? If it is a family home do you think that the children might want to shower in the bathroom? If they do how far do you think the water will go?

You say that your small bedroom has a small size bed in it so what is the room in the photos with the sofa and television in it that looks like a bedroom? Where is the photo of the master bedroom or is the room with strange cupboards in it the master bedroom? If that is where is the other bedroom? I assumed that the room with the sofa and television in it was the 3rd bedroom is that not correct? Your photos are supposed to market your house to people to get them interested enough to view.

Going back to the decorations. Did you know that it is advised that you use neutral colours to sell a house? Do you know why that is? Not everyone has the same taste in colours so you use a colour that is the least offensive to as many people as possible. If someone doesn't like the colours and wallpaper that you have used not only can they not visualise themselves living in your house but they will also work from the basis that they will have to spend money redecorating immediately because they can't live with what you have done. When they think of redecorating they are thinking of spending money and that will make them want to offer less.

The other reason for neutral colours is that you don't know what colour the furniture is going to be of your buyers so another reason for them to want to decorate straight away. This is what I mean by people not wanting to pay more for your taste they could quite easily want to pay less.

Who owns the front garden? Is it owned by the local council as part of their grass verges because it has a street light on it? Do you not think that the street light affects the way the house looks?

The most important thing though is that you bought this house cheaply. You say that it needed work done on it. However if you put in the kitchen in 2012 how old is it now? 5 years? Is it still new? Is the bathroom still new? You are not selling a new house. You are selling a house that needs the kitchen and bathroom updated.
    Last edited by Cakeguts; 17-03-2017 at 4:04 PM.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 17th Mar 17, 4:48 PM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 4,110 Thanks
    Penitent
    You say that your small bedroom has a small size bed in it so what is the room in the photos with the sofa and television in it that looks like a bedroom?
    Originally posted by Cakeguts
    The sofa is a day bed. They're typically smaller than a single bed and not really appropriate for everyday use as bed. It looks like it just fits, so I'm left with the impression that a proper single bed wouldn't fit (and even if I did shoehorn one in, there'd be no room for storage of any kind). I would consider it a boxroom or a study rather than a bedroom from looking at the photo.

(That's assuming that blocky shape I can see at the edge of the photo is the door or a wall. Is it actually storage? If so, the photo really needs to be redone as it's giving a false impression of the size of the room.)

OP - Is that room definitely 11'10" x 6'8"? The width looks like closer 5'10"-6'0". I'm not convinced about the length either from the position of the ?doorframe on the left. Either it's an exceptionally bad photo or the measurements are way off.
    Last edited by Penitent; 17-03-2017 at 5:07 PM.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 17th Mar 17, 5:02 PM
    • 2,656 Posts
    • 3,628 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    The sofa is a day bed. They're typically smaller than a single bed and not really appropriate for everyday use as bed. It looks like it just fits, so I'm left with the impression that a proper single bed wouldn't fit (and even if I did shoehorn one in, there'd be no room for storage of any kind). I would consider it a boxroom or a study rather than a bedroom from looking at the photo.

(That's assuming that blocky shape I can see at the edge of the photo is the door or a wall. Is it actually storage? If so, the photo really needs to be redone as it's giving a false impression of the size of the room.)
    Originally posted by Penitent
    That bedroom doesn't have a bed in it. You can't tell from the photos whether you could get a single bed in it or not. If you can't then this is not a 3 bed house. It is a 2 bed house on the market for the price of a 3 bed house. Unfortunately the only time you will find out whether you can get a bed in it will be when you own the house. I think that this bedroom would be better to have a bed in it to show that it can actually be used as a bedroom. No one would want their child to sleep on a day bed for any length of time.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 17th Mar 17, 7:02 PM
    • 9,783 Posts
    • 55,111 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    EA descriotion states bedroom 3 dimensions are 11ft 10in x 6ft 8 in.

Standard single bed length is 6ft 3in so should be no problem, unless there is a radiator or something similar in the way. However, I do agree it is always best to present a bedroom as a bedroom with a bed.

Lierryt. When you come to sell a property you need to try and take your emotions out of the proceedings. You need to be objective. You are not selling "your home" you are selling a commodity, which has to be prepared for sale, marketed and priced competitively.

I'm afraid you are failing on all counts.

(I am an ex estate agent and have over 30 years experience in the business. I have also worked for developers).

1. The price is too high.
    2. You have overpersonalised the decor.
    3. You have not spent your renovation budget wisely.
    4. You have completely neglected the rear garden, leaving money on the table.
    5. The house has no kerb appeal.
    6. The marketing is poor.

Assessing the value of a property is not an exact science. I'm afraid Your EA is rather too optimistic. You need to pitch your asking price nearer to your competitors.

If you bought this as a flipper then you have made quite a few mistakes.

If you want a quick sale then drop the price.
    • cyantist
    • By cyantist 17th Mar 17, 7:21 PM
    • 464 Posts
    • 1,038 Thanks
    cyantist

Get more4less, agree, thought the master bedroom in that house was a bit on the small side too,
    Then you need a picture of the ensuite! I wouldn't want a shower only in the en-suite though as no one else (visitors/kids etc) can have a decent shower. Getting a shower screen and attaching the shower to the wall can't be that hard.

And definitely have a picture of the master bedroom, even if it looks a bit rubbish as I also assumed the one with the double bed is the master.

You can see there's something approx single bed sized in the third room, but doesn't look like there's any furniture there. Dress that as a proper bedroom not a tv room and have some storage in there otherwise is doesn't even seem a 3 bed house. Also if it's 6ft8 wide (doesn't look it), then a bed should fit across the room which would I think make it look a lot wider and allow room for proper bedroom furniture.

Personally your house is the only one I've seen for a very long time where I wouldn't have to knock over 10k off straight away for ripping out and redoing a kitchen. I like the colour of the lounge wall and the bedroom paper, though I really don't like the fire surround. But I wouldn't not view based on the fact that I had to change a fire surround or paint a wall anyway.

Also the house cakeguts posted that they thought was nicer I think is horrible compared to yours. Why would they have a photo that shows nothing but a tiny radiator next to a loo?!

But I wouldn't pay that much more than someone else paid for the house a few years before. There is nothing 'wow' enough about the house to justify such a price increase and even with just the small things I'd need to change it's just too expensive.
    Because of that I wouldn't even view because I would know that the amount I'd be willing to pay would never be accepted and I'd just be wasting my time.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 17th Mar 17, 11:20 PM
    • 2,656 Posts
    • 3,628 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    Have you reduced the price of this house from offers over £215k? Why did you do that? Who suggested it? Was it the agent? Did you get any other agents to value the house? If you have reduced the price already doesn't that suggest that the agent got the valuation wrong in the first place? How do you know that they have got it correct now?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

113Posts Today

2,856Users online

Martin's Twitter