Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jackjassiek
    • By jackjassiek 16th Mar 17, 5:04 PM
    • 19Posts
    • 8Thanks
    jackjassiek
    Mid terrace Great condtion VS. Detached Refurbish required
    • 16th Mar 17, 5:04 PM
    Mid terrace Great condtion VS. Detached Refurbish required 16th Mar 17 at 5:04 PM
    Hi All,

I am hesitating to buy a property. I would like to get advice from expert here please.
    Please help me choose between 2 properties.
    Both are 3 bedrooms house for the same price. Both houses were built around 1920-1940.

1. Mid terrace (0.3 miles from train station)
    2 receptions on the ground floors and kitchen
    Very beautiful and great condition
    Well decorate and ready for move in
    Very big garden
    loft entrance is above the walkway/hall of first floor
    85 sq.m.
    Ready to move in
    All built in cupboards are very new and beautiful tiles decorated on the wall of kitchen and bedrooms.
    Wall papers are new
    Carpets in good condition

2. Detached house (0.2 miles from train station)
    1 reception just for living room and small kitchen (enough for small dining table for 2 people maximum)
    It is very old.
    Toilet: No bathtub/ shower room at all- Just wet room
    small garden
    loft entrance is in the ceiling of toilet
    75 sq.m. --> It can be 100 sq.m. (only if renovate garage which is now a part of house- canbe renovate to be dining room)
    Need refurbishment throughout
    All built in cupboards are old and broken
    Need new carpet

Please note that I have budget just slightly more than the asking price.
Page 1
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 16th Mar 17, 5:10 PM
    • 947 Posts
    • 2,549 Thanks
    Penitent
    • 16th Mar 17, 5:10 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 5:10 PM
    It depends on you, really.

If you're twitchy about neighbour noise, detached is better than terraced.

If you don't want to do work, the first one is better. If you want to "put your own stamp on things" or add value, the second one is better.

Is there one you prefer? If so, why do you feel you need to consider the other?
    • Lespaul1960
    • By Lespaul1960 16th Mar 17, 5:15 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Lespaul1960
    • 16th Mar 17, 5:15 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 5:15 PM
    I have suffered neighbour noise in the past,so its detached every time for me.!!
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 16th Mar 17, 5:30 PM
    • 1,492 Posts
    • 2,112 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 16th Mar 17, 5:30 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 5:30 PM
    First consider the locations. Which is the better street/area? Proximity to station is but one consideration - what about proximity to shops etc.

Then consider the property layout/styles, but disregard the decorative condition. Which property style/layout suits you better? Are you bothered about gardening?

Finally, consider the decorative condition. Can you afford the refurb? Do you have the expertise and/or enthusiasm for it? Can you live with it / in it while it's being done, or do it in stages?

Ultimately, it's really up to you - no-one here knows you, so can't tell you what to do
    • Lord Baltimore
    • By Lord Baltimore 16th Mar 17, 5:46 PM
    • 1,271 Posts
    • 1,264 Thanks
    Lord Baltimore
    • 16th Mar 17, 5:46 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 5:46 PM
    Detached. Minimises the chance of other peoples' lives impinging on yours.
    I get bored very qu
    • AlexMac
    • By AlexMac 16th Mar 17, 6:37 PM
    • 1,821 Posts
    • 1,585 Thanks
    AlexMac
    • 16th Mar 17, 6:37 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 6:37 PM
    The non-teckky way you describe the differences (..."old... broken... new ...beautiful...") say to me that you are keen to live in a tastefully refurbished house but not too knowledgable about building or very experienced in DIY? Which might influence your decision.

Assuming no major structural probelms like damp or deterioration in floor or roof timbers, subsidence/movement, rotting windows, need to replace roof or rainwater goods (gutters/downpipes) , condition of boiler, ch, plumbing and electrics, the detached house could be brought up to the standard of the terraced one for 10-15k; assuming a bit of DIY. Less if you can decorate, lay laminate flooring and tile (which isn't rocket science). The advantage would be that you could probably add more value if that's a consideration. And rear additions or loft extensions might be simpler in a detached house (although if the garden's really small there might be limits to permitted developement.

As you can gues, if I was younger, I'd go for the do-er upper; but only if it's in an area which merits it; i.e. not in a street where property values are really low (you can spend 20k and add 50k-100k of value where I live but in some areas you'd struggle to recoup your money).

So look at the fundamentals - the terraced place might look good but does it need a new boiler and a roof? And are you up for living a year or two in a building site...?
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 16th Mar 17, 7:08 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    ProDave
    • 16th Mar 17, 7:08 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 7:08 PM
    DETACHED every time if you can afford it.

Since I moved to one 14 years ago it has been bliss. I can listen to my music as loud as I want and so can my neighbours without bothering me in the slightest.

Prior to that, in first a terrace, then a semi, I would get complaints if my music was too loud, and conversely I could hear next door's tv and even doors slamming etc.
    • Chanes
    • By Chanes 16th Mar 17, 7:10 PM
    • 823 Posts
    • 504 Thanks
    Chanes
    • 16th Mar 17, 7:10 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 7:10 PM
    Detached! Without a second thought and for all the reasons already mentioned and more!
    • Bossypants
    • By Bossypants 16th Mar 17, 8:52 PM
    • 475 Posts
    • 856 Thanks
    Bossypants
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:52 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:52 PM
    Detached detached detached. You can save up and spend money to get your detached house up to the standard you want it at, but no amount of money can ever take a mid-terraced house out of its terrace (well I suppose you could buy up the houses on either side and demolish them, but that doesn't strike me as a very good use of funds...).
    Mortgage Overpayment Aim totally scuppered for 2016 due to entirely unforeseen but marvellous circumstance. Trying again in 2017!
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 16th Mar 17, 11:20 PM
    • 2,297 Posts
    • 2,892 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    Detached unless it is in a seriously nasty area.
    • Hedgehog99
    • By Hedgehog99 17th Mar 17, 12:19 AM
    • 1,150 Posts
    • 2,406 Thanks
    Hedgehog99
    Just a couple of other things in favour of the terrace - the energy bills should be less (heat from neighbours), but depends on NSEW orientation.

I've never had one, but I don't like the idea of loft hatches off the bathroom or a bedroom. Bathroom because of possible steam going up there if the seal isn't good and awkward access in a bedroom.

I would be detached if I could afford to be, but I'm about to buy a terrace, so wish me luck. Other things were more important than being detached.

Good luck in your choice!
    • jackjassiek
    • By jackjassiek 17th Mar 17, 7:51 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    jackjassiek
    I am the first time buyer, so I do not have much experiences.

Thank you very much everyone here! I truly appreciate all of your kind help and great advice : )
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 17th Mar 17, 7:53 AM
    • 12,322 Posts
    • 33,541 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I have suffered neighbour noise in the past,so its detached every time for me.!!
    Originally posted by Lespaul1960
    There's not just the noise aspect to consider from neighbours (which I've had myself). There's also the fact that any neglect they go in for on their house might impact through onto yours (I've had damp coming through from a neighbours house - and they denied it was down to them).
    • Moonhead
    • By Moonhead 17th Mar 17, 8:00 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Moonhead
    Detached! I bought a mid terrace because it needed nothing doing and even a good area but I regret it, the damn noises from both sides drives me insane. Saying that I couldn't find a detached in my price range.

Hopefully one day!
    • sparky130a
    • By sparky130a 17th Mar 17, 8:18 AM
    • 530 Posts
    • 669 Thanks
    sparky130a
    Detached. I live in a one bed flat. Was fine. But then the couple below have just had a newborn.

Christ knows how they're coping with three of them in a one bed but it sure ain't been great for me!
    • Noctu
    • By Noctu 17th Mar 17, 10:11 AM
    • 1,488 Posts
    • 1,685 Thanks
    Noctu
    After 6 years of awful neighbours in our old semi - DETACHED every time!
    • societys child
    • By societys child 17th Mar 17, 10:15 AM
    • 4,142 Posts
    • 4,257 Thanks
    societys child
    Detached . . .

Hint: It's not difficult to put a new loft access in a preferred position.

• fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 17th Mar 17, 10:21 AM
    • 7,490 Posts
    • 24,300 Thanks
    fairy lights
    I'm going to go against the grain here and say the terrace.
    If you don't have the funds or knowhow to renovate the detached house you could spend years living in a dump while you try to get the money together. The detached house is smaller than the terrace and as it's only got a small garden it doesn't sound like you'd have room to extend. (The lareg garden of the terraced house would be a big plus for me).
    Unless you've got a drumkit or are particularly averse to neighbour-noise I'd go for the easy option.
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 17th Mar 17, 10:24 AM
    • 3,333 Posts
    • 10,831 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    A lick of paint and new carpets are really no big deal, so I wouldn't let that put you off the detached place. If the structure has been neglected, ie signs of damp, rotting windows, then that can be a lot more expensive to sort out.

How important is a big garden to you? In a mid terrace you'll have to cart all gardening equipment through the house.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • Bob_Dean
    • By Bob_Dean 17th Mar 17, 11:10 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Bob_Dean
    Dont assume the detached house automatically will be quieter than a mid terrenced house. What is the neighbourhood like? Is either near a bussy road?

Personally I would want that extra 10m2 of space.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

119Posts Today

1,112Users online

Martin's Twitter