Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • emmathe37th
    • By emmathe37th 16th Mar 17, 4:53 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 1Thanks
    emmathe37th
    Going it alone
    • 16th Mar 17, 4:53 PM
    Going it alone 16th Mar 17 at 4:53 PM
    Afternoon!

A bus scraped my car a few weeks ago (it was tight, I stopped, he ploughed through). I reported it to the police as failure to stop. I contacted the bus company (nice local firm, not any of the big ones). They were all willing to pay for the damage, then they decided they wanted to do it through insurance. I started putting in a claim through the insurance...they declined liability (surprise surprise) and my insurers said chances were it would end up split liability as there was no hard proof.

Going through insurance was going to cost £850 (recommended garage quote...or I'd have to pay some fee for not using a recommended garage), so even 50/50, I'd have to pay my £350 excess. I decided it would end up cheaper to not go through insurance.

So I cancelled the claim, paid for the work (£250). My insurance company have said as far as they are concerned, the claim is closed. I know I'll end up paying a higher premium anyway just for informing them and being honest, but I'm resigned to that now.

I have abrupt emails from the bus company that say the driver did not know he had hit me, then one to say the driver was stationary at the time. Not quite sure how both of those can be true. Blatantly clear he is lying in my opinion.

Anyway, my questions are...

1. Does anyone have any experience in going through small claims with this sort of thing?
    2. How likely do you think it is that a Letter Before Action would prompt them to just pay up?
    3. If it did end up going to court, how likely is it I will win? There is no hard evidence, but I'm inclined to believe the judge would side with me since I reported it to the police, and from our email conversation.
    4. Anything else I should be wary of?

I know most of you will probably think 'oh it's £250, just let it go' but I'm an honest person and it really annoys me that people get away with stuff like this.

Thank you!
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 16th Mar 17, 8:31 PM
    • 25,302 Posts
    • 10,046 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:31 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:31 PM
    2. Send one and see.
    3. 50/50 ?
    4. Wasting more money?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

188Posts Today

1,486Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin